Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
Welcome to a Mary-Barra-level business manager resume sample.
But press pause—
Getting a business manager job is tough.
You can deal with irate, lazy, overworked, and unskilled team members.
You get wildly different departments to play nice together. Even when they seem to speak different languages.
But how can you prove it to the CEO before you meet?
With a data-driven resume for business management positions.
In this guide:
- A business manager resume sample better than most.
- How to write a business manager resume that sizzles.
- How to customize a business manager job description for resumes.
- Why you can’t just list business manager skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
What kind of resume for business manager jobs do you need? See these guides:
- Store Manager Resume
- Account Manager Resume
- Assistant Manager Resume
- Business Development Resume
- Program Manager Resume
- IT Project Manager Resume
- Restaurant Manager Resume
- Office Manager Resume
- Operations Manager Resume
- Product Manager Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Property Manager Resume
- Sales Manager Resume
- General Manager Resume
- Business Owner Resume
- General Manager Resume
- Retail Manager Resume Examples
- Social Work Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume examples for over 200 jobs.
Business Manager Resume Sample You Can Copy and Adapt
Engaging business manager with 5+ years of experience leading teams of 20+ to raise revenue and cut costs. Seeking to increase earnings at High Clarity Outlets. At North Line Outfitters, raised revenue $248,000 through improved pricing and local marketing.
North Line Outfitters, Watertown, CT
- Led a team of 21 associates to grow revenue by 20% in 14 months.
- Raised employee retention by 35% by engaging employees through active listening and team involvement in store goals and metrics.
- Monitored key performance indicators for sales, budgeting, and employee performance. Raised customer ratings 18%.
- Hired and trained 8 new team members using behavior-based coaching strategies. Ensured 100% compliance with all policies.
- Worked with local marketing and sales teams to drive 23% more foot traffic to store in 18 months through local campaigns.
Grew store revenue by $248,000 through a directed campaign of local marketing and improved pricing and inventory management.
Johnny's Rib Rack, Watertown, CT
- Led a team of 25 employees to raise revenue in a popular restaurant by 10%. Improved Customer satisfaction scores by 15%.
- Used staff meetings to deploy policies but mostly to hear employee concerns. Conducted surveys and measured a 12% jump in morale.
Collaborated with team to redesign product offerings according to surveyed customer needs. Raised revenue by $97,000.
BS in Business Management
University of Connecticut
- Excelled in accounting and budgeting classes.
- VP of Student Business Leaders Group.
2019 – Retail Business Management, Alison
2018 – QuickBooks, Intuit
- Member, American Business Management Association.
- Volunteer mentor to 15 retail managers.
Hard Skills: scheduling, budgeting, accounting, training, recruiting
Soft Skills: leadership, collaboration, planning, communication
Here’s how to write a confident business manager resume:
1. Use the Best Business Manager Resume Format
Your resume format is the first hint of your competence.
Use these tips to show professionalism:
Business Manager Resume Format
- List work history in reverse-chronological resume order.
- Add white space and make one-inch margins.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, Work History, Education, and Skills.
- Keep a short (one-page) resume length unless you’ve got enough Cardone-style accomplishments to fill 2–4 pages.
- Write with a resume font like 11–14pt Georgia or Verdana.
- Save a PDF resume to shine on any device.
Expert Hint: Research in the Journal of Business Venturing shows 95% of firms use “financial bootstrapping” techniques like buying used, vendor negotiation, and delaying payments. Show how you’ve cut costs in your business manager resume.
2. Write a Business Manager Resume Summary or Objective
To get the CEO to read your resume for business manager jobs—
Put an elevator speech up top.
- An adjective (engaging, energetic)
- “Business Manager ” (or the title from the job posting)
- Years of experience (3+, 9+)
- Who and how you’ll help (increase earnings at High Clarity Outlets)
- Best resume achievements(raised revenue $248,000...)
Save it for last to finish fast.
See these business manager resume examples:
Business Manager Resume Summary—Example
The second of those business manager resume samples is functional. But the first has 5+, 20+, and $248,000. It’s chock full of proof.
“Slow down, captain. I haven’t moved the world like that! I’m just getting my feet wet!”
Even a new manager can get good ROI.
See this entry-level resume for business manager jobs:
Entry-Level Business Manager Resume Objective
The second of those entry-level business manager resume examples is pie-in-the-sky.
The first has all those juicy numbers.
3. Target Your Business Manager Job Description and Skills
What business manager skills go best in resumes?
See this list:
Business Manager Resume Skills
Marketing & Sales
Watch your step!
Don’t stack them all in your resume for business manager jobs. You’ll look a little too “creative.”
Write a custom-fitted resume instead.
See these business manager resume samples:
The job in this example needs skills in leading teams, active listening, monitoring key performance indicators, and training.
Business Manager Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The first of those business manager resume examples uses the right resume keywords. Then it shows the bottom-line result of each.
Does the second example seem silly? I see people do this again and again. They neglect to mention eye-popping achievements.
What if your business manager career is in the startup stage?
Add the right experience to your entry-level resume.
See these business management resume examples with no experience:
The job wants team leadership, product offering design, and policy deployment.
Entry-Level Business Manager Resume Job Description [Sample]
If you stick to the keywords in the job ad, then link them to your work history, you’re hired.
That’s what the first of those business manager resume samples does well.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Write a High-Performing Education Section
In a resume for business manager jobs, experience trumps education.
But without the right resume education section, you’ll miss an opportunity.
Can you see how this business manager resume sample works?
Business Manager Resume Example—Education
That shows you have deep-rooted leadership, accounting, and budgeting skills.
5. Put Additional Info in Your Business Manager Resume
To get the BoD to look your way—
Put extras in your business management resume.
You have to go beyond just work history and schooling.
Try one of these:
- Certifications (CBME, etc.)
- Associations (APBM, AMA, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
- Personal achievements
See these business manager resume examples:
Business Manager Resume—Other Sections
The first of the business manager resume samples above works great.
The certifications, AMA membership, and volunteering are Brian-Chesky-worthy.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your business management resume. Show leadership passion and your most impressive manager moments that fit the position.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a business manager resume:
- Use the business manager resume template up top. Add achievements from your leadership experience.
- List business manager skills like budgeting and strategy creation. But show the targets you’ve hit through using them.
- Write a business manager resume summary loaded with highlights from your work history.
- Create “Additional” resume sections with business manager achievements to signal you’re the next Stewart Butterfield.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for business manager jobs? Not sure how to put business manager on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!