Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
You’ve found the perfect business development resume sample.
This is high stakes.
You’ve got talent like Og Mandino, and you drive Netflix-level growth.
But it’s all for nothing if they don’t let you into the negotiation room.
Without a standout business development manager resume, your job search will stagnate.
Don’t worry. In a few minutes, you’ll have a resume Daniel Goleman would appreciate.
In this guide:
- A business development resume sample better than most.
- How to write a business development director resume that sparkles.
- How to craft the perfect business development job description.
- Why you can’t just list business development skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you sure a business development manager resume is right for you? See our guides and examples:
- Account Manager Resume
- Consultant Resume
- Business Manager Resume
- Business Owner Resume
- Business Analyst Resumes
- Entry Level Business Analyst Resume
- Program Manager Resume
- Operations Manager Resume
- Executive Resume
- MBA Resume
- CEO Resume
- Manager Resume
- Social Work Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples for Any Job.
Business Development Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Results-driven business development director with 6+ years of experience growing business massively for tech firms. Seeking to double sales at Arias Tech Solutions in 1 year. Grew sales 50% in 15 months at ScreenRoom 3D through 2 new product lines.
Director of Business Development
ScreenRoom 3D, Inc.
- Led development of 2 new programs in $4M 3D printer enterprise.
- Grew sales by 50% in 15 months by adding two new business lines, including a CAD scanner and metals printer.
- Worked with cross-functional teams of engineers, technicians, and sales personnel to identify 10 new potential product lines.
- Held informational interviews with 50+ key customers and conducted surveys to assess current market and customer needs.
- Outsourced conceptual engineers to liaise with internal stakeholders to develop new products that filled unmet client needs.
- Created 2 new programs that increased revenues by $2.2M annually, saved 20+ jobs, and created 10 new jobs.
Business Development Manager
- Led teams of 25+ sales and marketing employees.
- Landed 20 global accounts in 8 months through new account strategy.
- Cut costs by $1.1M yearly through redesigned marketing spending.
IntelliRounds Global, LLC
- Collaborated with corporate leadership, engineering, and marketing teams to develop new offerings that raised sales $500K in 1 year.
- Increased customer retention by 30% through facilitating the addition of new product lines unexplored by competitors.
University of Southern California
- Daniel M. Potter Scholar for business strategy & leadership.
- President, Entrepreneur & Venture Management Association.
BS in Product Design
University of California, Berkeley, 2005–2009
- Head of Volunteering, NBDA.
- Board of Directors, MAR Student Observatory.
- Mentor group of 25 sales professionals in business growth.
Hard Skills: omnichannel processes, D2C ecommerce, financial planning, product development
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, leadership, communication, analytical skills
Here’s how to write a business development resume with the right fit:
1. Use a Clean Business Development Resume Format
You wrote a flawless business development resume, but the BoD deleted it.
Your clumsy formatting made you look like you came up with New Coke.
Resume formatting is like a watch by MVMT or a Tom Ford suit. It has to show professionalism and capability.
Use these tips:
Business Development Resume Format
- Craft a 1–3 page resume depending on your achievements.
- Set margins at one inch.
- Choose a resume font like 11–14pt Lucia Sans or Bell MT.
- Add plenty of white space.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, Work Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Put jobs in reverse-chronological resume order.
- To look your best on all devices, submit a PDF resume.
2. Write a Business Development Resume Objective or Summary
Here’s the good news:
The board will only skim most resumes.
Wait—that’s bad news. Isn’t it?
- One adjective (energetic, versatile)
- “Business development manager” (or job title from the posting)
- Years of experience (5+, 8+)
- What you’ll do, for whom (double sales at Arias Tech Solutions...)
- Best business development manager resume accomplishments (Grew sales 50%...)
See these director of business development resume examples:
Business Development Resume Summary—Example
The last of those business development resume samples says “trust me.” But—
The BoD would rather trust the 50% sales increase in example #1.
Put a fact like that in your business development manager resume and you’ll look Momo-level.
But what if your business development experience is still conceptual?
You can still boost your bottom line. See these entry-level resume samples for business development jobs:
Entry-Level Business Development Resume Objective
The second of those entry-level business development resume examples with no experience fails.
It says you have a track record, but doesn’t show it like the first example.
3. Right-Size Your Business Development Job Description and Skills Sections
What skills are vital in a business development resume?
Here’s a resume skills list:
Business Development Resume Skills
D2C Ecommerce Solutions
Team Building and Management
Here you can find even more technical skills.
But pump the brakes—
Don’t ever list the lot in a resume for business development jobs. Nobody will buy it.
These business development manager resume samples show how:
Let’s say the job wants skills in developing business lines, working with cross-functional teams, market assessments, and outsourcing.
Business Development Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The second of those business development manager resume examples says handled, responsible, in charge, tasked—the death knell!
You want specific business development achievements that rocked the boat.
What if you’re a new business development professional?
A resume with no experience needs business development proof from other jobs.
See these entry-level business development resume examples with no experience. They’re for a job that needs collaboration and new product lines.
Entry-Level Business Development Resume Job Description [Sample]
The last of those business development resume bullets lists targets a sales job!
But the first could be a young Eric Ries.
Expert Hint: Research by Harvard Business School shows the Northeast (38%) and West Coast (33%) have the most business development jobs, followed distantly by locations in the rest of the US. Key industries include the tech field (36%), health care (16%), media (12%) and manufacturing (10%).
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Create a Winning Education Section
Your education in a business development manager resume doesn’t matter.
Everyone is wrong.
Your resume education section needs to pull its weight.
Don’t just show your degree and school.
Put business development skills in it—especially if you’re relatively new.
See this business development resume sample:
Business Development Resume Example—Education
You didn’t just earn a sheepskin. You ruled it.
5. Add Deal Sweeteners to Your Business Development Resume
If you look like everyone else, you don’t have a business development resume.
You have a lottery ticket.
Let’s even up the odds.
Do it with added sections in your business development manager resume.
You can include:
- Certifications (CBDE, etc.)
- Awards and honors
- Board memberships
- Professional associations (NBDA, etc.)
- Speaking engagements
- Media mentions
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
See these business development resume examples:
Business Development Resume—Other Sections
The first of those director of business development resume samples overflows with competence.
Expert Hint: Create a cover letter for your resume for business development jobs. It should show how your passions and past wins fit the company mission.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a business development director resume:
- Use a good business development resume template. Stock it with your best business development accomplishments.
- Include business development skills like product development or team leadership. Use metrics to show those skills are Nvidia-sized.
- Write a business development resume summary to provide a window into your best attributes.
- Add “special” sections with an NBDA membership or a position on a charitable BoD.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for business development jobs? Not sure how to put business development on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!