How many pages should a resume be? One page resume vs two page resume. Get the answer to how long should a resume be with expert tips to shorten yours.
The biggest problem with most PMP IT resumes?
They use too many buzzwords—too few metrics.
The jargon puts most hiring teams to sleep.
But here’s the good news:
You can change that with a few small fixes.
Do it, and you’ll look like Brett Harned in a conference room of Urkels.
In this guide:
- An IT project manager resume sample better than most.
- How to make a winning IT project manager job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for IT project manager jobs that gets interviews.
- Why you can’t just list IT project manager skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Are you considering other management careers? See our guides:
- Project Manager Resume
- Product Manager Resume
- Management Resume
- Project Coordinator Resume
- Operations Manager Resume
- Program Manager Resume
What about resumes for other IT jobs? These guides can help:
- DevOps Resume
- IT Resume
- Help Desk IT Resume
- Entry-Level IT Resume
- .NET Developer Resume
- Computer Science Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- Technical Writer Resume
- Scrum Master Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume examples.
IT Project Manager Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
IT Project Manager, PMP
Efficient IT Project Manager and PMP with 6+ years of experience. Seeking to complete IT projects with lower costs and higher quality for Poulin-Daviau Inc. At Exakting Global, managed 25 IT projects with budgets of $2M+ and 20+ team members. Slashed costs 30% for client projects. Six Sigma Black Belt skilled in Agile & Scrum.
- CompTIA Project+
- Six Sigma Black Belt
IT Project Manager
Exakting Global, Inc.
- Managed 25 IT projects with $2 million+ budgets and 20+ team members.
- Implemented Agile & Scrum system for all 85 IT employees. Slashed delivery times 25% in 6 months and cut costs by 30% for all client projects.
- Worked with cross-functional teams to gather requirements, create project road maps, and complete projects. Achieved average of 99% client satisfaction.
- Used business process improvement and vendor management skills to cut costs, completing 5 projects $1 million+ under budget.
- Led teams of 15+ members to develop custom IT software, managing end-to-end software development life cycle (SLDC).
IT Project Manager
- Team leader of 15 IT specialists in manufacturing firm with $20M revenue.
- Transferred all 220 employees to Windows 10 with zero downtime. Set up automated file transfer process that saved 200 IT labor hours worth $16,000.
- Implemented project to train 15 IT staff and 100 employees in Lean principles.
- Developed secure, scalable ERP systems that improved process efficiency 25%, slashed production costs 22%, and facilitated lead-time reduction of 12%.
- Managed project to install real-time metrics displays in manufacturing cells. Raised efficiency by 23% and saved $220,000 annually.
- Led project to replace 80+ outdated workstations. Collaborated with vendors to cut costs by 20%. Saved $20,000 and 100+ computer labor hours per year.
- Implemented project to cut security risk by 30%.
Project Management Institute, 2013
- Excelled in Agile classes.
- Commended by professor for project scheduling skills.
BS Computer Science, Campbell University
- Received the Dass Student Research Award for IT research.
- Assisted with project to update computer system in university book store.
- 2019 - Micro Focus ITOM Summit — gave talk about work breakdown structure.
- 2017 - Strata Data Conference
- Member, PMI
- Project-managed installation of new IT system for County Park.
- Regularly contribute articles on IT to ProjectManagement.com
Hard Skills: Agile & Scrum, business process improvement, vendor management, MS Office, Keynote, project scheduling
Soft Skills: leadership, collaboration, communication, interpersonal skills
Here’s how to write an IT project manager resume that makes the phone ring:
1. Choose the Right IT Project Manager Resume Format
That’s the last thing you want the hiring team to say.
But without the right resume format they’ll say it fast.
These formatting tips will fix the issue:
IT Project Manager Resume Format
- Use the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Pick a clean resume font like 10–12pt Garamond or Arial.
- Use 1-inch margins with breathing space between.
- Make a 1-page resume length for IT project managers with less than 7 years of experience.
- Use these resume sections: Heading, Objective, Experience, Education, Skills.
Expert Hint: Save your resume as a PDF. PDF files migrate smoothly to lots of different devices. Plus, ATS screeners can read them well.
2. Write an IT Project Manager Resume Summary or Objective
Here’s your nightmare:
Your project manager objective sits in a pile 300 deep.
No-one reads it. The best jobs go to other candidates.
You know that’s not a nightmare, right?
- An adjective (diligent, efficient)
- The words “IT Project Manager”
- Years of experience (2+, 6+)
- How you’ll help & whom (complete IT projects with lower costs...)
- Your best IT project manager achievements (managed 25 IT projects...)
These IT project manager resume examples show the plan:
IT Project Manager Resume Summary—Example
That second summary is packed with jargon, but no facts. The first? It makes things happen.
What if your experience is still in the conception phase?
In an entry-level IT project manager resume, cite transferable accomplishments.
IT Project Manager Resume Objective—Example
See how that works?
The first example takes its evidence from non-project manager jobs.
Expert Hint: Make your IT project manager resume summary or objective last. That way you’ll have material like “budgets of $2M” in easy reach.
3. Write a Winning IT Project Manager Job Description and Skills Sections
They won’t hire you.
Not if you write a generic job description for your resume.
All but memorize the online job ad. Pick the resume keywords out of it.
Then put them in your resume job description.
Last, add proof with numbers.
Look at these IT project manager resume examples:
The job ad wants these IT project manager skills: (1) Agile (2) working with cross-functional teams (3) business process improvement (4) vendor management (5) leadership.
IT Project Manager Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The second of those IT project manager resume examples echoes David Byrne. It talks a lot, but it’s not saying anything.
But the first one? It plugs straight into the company’s needs. It also uses numbers that prove you can do it.
Now look at an entry-level resume job description:
The job ad wants these IT project manager skills: (1) leadership (2) vendor management (3) IT security.
Entry-Level IT Project Manager Resume Job Description [Sample]
That’s the same job and employee.
But the first information technology manager resume sample lists PMP accomplishments.
Need some good resume skills to start?
Use this list of IT project manager resume hard and soft skills:
IT Project Manager Resume Skills
Agile & Scrum
Custom Software Development
System Migration and Integration
Attention to Detail
Expert Tip: How many skills is too many on a resume for IT project managers? Anyone can write a list. Keep your hard skills between 5–10 and prove them in your bullets.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
Does it matter if you went to Harvard?
But your IT project manager resume education sectionis an opportunity.
Don’t waste it.
Pack it with IT project management achievements.
IT Project Manager Education—Example
If the job ad listed Agile, project scheduling, and updating systems, you’re on your way.
Expert Hint: Did you get a PMP certification? Add it to your resume header. But also list your PMP schooling at the top of your education section, with bullets.
5. Add “Extra” Sections to Your IT Project Manager Resume
“I’d like to work with her.”
You know what?
Your experience and education sections won’t make hiring managers say that.
But “extra” sections will.
Add one or two of these:
- Associations (PMI, APM, CompTIA)
- Certifications (PMP, ComTIA+ Project, PMITS, Six Sigma Black Belt)
- Freelancing and volunteering
- Awards and honors
- Additional activities
These IT project manager resume examples show how:
IT Project Manager Resume—Extra Sections
Look at that.
The first of those IT project manager resume examples could be Susanne Madsen.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. You’ll get closure for your resume for IT project manager jobs. Most hiring teams read cover letters, and good ones boost your chances.
For an IT project manager resume that executes:
- Use the IT project manager resume template up top. It’ll put your best moments in their hands.
- List IT project manager accomplishments in your objective, job description, education, and “extra” sections.
- Find the right resume keywords in the PMP job ad online. Use them in your bullet points.
- Include an IT project manager cover letter. In it, show you know the job inside and out.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for IT project manager jobs? Not sure how to show IT project manager on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!