With so many conflicting pieces of advice on resume writing, we decided to use a data-driven approach to find definitive answers to job seekers’ most pressing questions.
Here’s the problem.
Your Scrum resume is not the only one they’ll read.
In fact, they’ll read dozens.
How can you make yours the right one?
By gathering their requirements, then using the right story points.
Don’t worry. You’ll soon be guiding standups like David Anderson.
In this guide:
- A Scrum Master resume sample better than most.
- How to write a resume for Scrum Master jobs.
- How to meet acceptance criteria with a Scrum Master job description.
- Why you can’t just list Scrum Master skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Do you have other leadership talents? See our guides:
- Project Manager Resume Sample & Guide
- Product Manager Resume Sample & Guide
- Management (General) Resume Sample & Guide
- Operations Manager Resume Sample & Guide
- Program Manager Resume
- It Project Manager Resume
- Entry-Level IT Resume Sample
- IT Resume Sample
- Java Developer Resume Sample
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional Resume Examples.
Scrum Master Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Certified Scrum Master with 3+ years of experience. Seeking to cut costs and raise efficiency at Sherwood-Brooks Tech. At Kolman Technology, managed 3 Scrum teams, raising revenue by $1.2M per year and increasing ROI by 25%. Beat delivery times by 15%. Cut supply costs 18%.
- PSM I
Kolman Technology Inc.
- Managed 3 Scrum teams. Collaborated with cross-functional teams to raise ROI by 25% in 1.5 years, increasing revenue by $1.2M per year.
- Trained 4 Scrum Masters in Agile best practices.
- Scrum Master for 12 products. Beat delivery targets by 15%.
- Worked with vendors to slash inventory costs by 18%.
- Led 8-person team through creation of 10 projects with budgets over $200,000.
- Created automation program that saved $500,000.
- Drove new Lean idea system that implemented 250+ employee ideas per year.
- Boosted team velocity by 20%, slashing rework through Pokayoke.
Additional Scrum Experience
- Agile team software developer since 2013.
- Led 2 cross functional teams in development of 4 products.
- Assisted with logistics creation for 3 self-organizing development teams.
- Led 15 retrospective meetings that identified 5 recurring impediments.
BS Computer Science ASU
- Pursued a passion for Agile coursework.
- Created a senior software project with a Scrum team of 5 developers.
- Used Agile methodology to build a budgeting webapp.
- Article on employee morale published in Agile for All
- Spoke on making risks visible on the Agile in 3 Minutes podcast
- Agile 2019 -- Spoke on panel about active user involvement.
- Deliver: Agile 2017
- Founder and leader of hiking group with 20+ members.
- Volunteer to foster 3 dogs per month to increase adoptability.
Hard Skills: Agile planning, meeting facilitation, servant leadership, Agile coaching, technical skills.
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, collaboration, communication, time management
Here’s how to write a Scrum Master resume that meets the definition of done:
1. Select the Right Scrum Master Resume Format
The hiring manager glances at your Scrum Master resume.
She tosses it.
You can’t deny this happens.
The reason? Your resume formatting showed you aren’t professional.
Here’s how to do it right:
Scrum Master Resume Format
- Follow reverse-chronological resume formatting.
- Use a 1-page resume length unless you’re more experienced than Mary Poppendieck.
- Set 1-inch margins and leave negative space between the words.
- Choose a respected font for resumes like Cambria or Helvetica in 10–12pt.
- Write these sections in your resume: Heading, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Save your resume as a PDF. They look the same on any device and ATS software can read them.
Expert Hint: Does your Scrum resume need more power? Consider getting a professional Scrum Master certification from Scrum.org.
2. Write a Scrum Master Resume Objective or Summary
Here’s a nightmare:
They’ll spend six seconds reading your Scrum Master resume.
But that gives you a clue.
They’re looking for something specific. If you show it to them—
They’ll keep reading.
That’s just a snappy paragraph right below your resume header.
Build your summary with:
- An adjective (certified, engaging)
- The words “Scrum Master”
- Years of experience (2+, 4+)
- Who & how you can help (cut costs at Sherwood-Brooks Tech)
- Your best Scrum achievements (raised revenue $1.2M per year...)
These certified Scrum Master resume examples give the release plan:
Scrum Master Resume Summary—Example
The first of those Agile Scrum Master resume examples has details, numbers, and accomplishments.
But what if your Scrum experience is lacking?
Fall back on times you’ve used leadership and Agile in non-Scrum-Master jobs.
See this example:
Entry-Level Scrum Master Resume Example—Objective
It’s vital that you understand the difference.
The first of those Scrum Master resume samples says, “I’ve got the skills you want.”
But the other proves it with details.
Expert Hint: Can’t get in the door, even with a CSM certification? Look at product owner jobs. Then once you’re part of the team, move up into a Scrum Master role.
3. Create a Winning Scrum Master Job Description and Skills Section
All the Scrum Master resumes in the stack will show experience.
Most will do it wrong.
Know the acceptance criteria.
Those are the resume skills in the job ad.
Look at these Scrum Master sample resumes:
The job ad wants these Scrum Master skills: working with cross-functional teams, Agile best practices, product development, and vendor management.
Scrum Master Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The first of those Scrum Master resume examples is Andrew Stellman-good.
It shows the right skills.
It adds numbers to prove competence. Employers love that.
Are you writing a resume with no experience for Scrum Master jobs?
You can still prove key skills.
Let’s say the online ad wants these Scrum Master skills: leading cross-functional teams, working with self-organizing teams, facilitating retrospective meetings.
Entry-Level Scrum Master Resume Job Description [Sample]
The second of those Scrum Master resume examples is tailored to the wrong job.
The first has the right resume keywords and some numbers.
But it’s the same work history.
Need some skills to start? Use these:
Scrum Master Resume Skills
Shielding Team Members
Expert Hint: There’s no real “entry level” in the Scrum Master world. You need, need, need to show some leadership experience—even if you’ve never “been” a manager.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
You must have education in a resume for Scrum Master jobs.
But did you know?
The education section of your resume should show more Agile skills.
See this Scrum Master resume sample:
Scrum Master Resume Example—Education
Expert Hint: Really want the job? Get involved in an Agile community in your area. Agile Alliance has a great resource to find local Agile groups. Networking is job search magic!
5. Add “Extra” Sections to Your Scrum Master Resume
“I think this applicant is going through the motions.”
Don’t let them think that.
Show drive and passion with “extra” sections in your Scrum Master resume.
Here are some suggested sections:
- Associations (Scrum Alliance, Scrum.org)
- Certifications (PSM, CSM, PMP)
- Conferences where you’ve been or spoken
- Publications and appearances
- Honors & awards
- Commendations and kudos
- Additional activities
These Scrum Master resume examples show how:
Scrum Master Resume—Extra Sections
Both seem like good people!
But that first Scrum Master resume example could be Jeff Sutherland in the rough.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your Scrum resume. You can prove achievement in a resume. But a cover letter lets you show your excitement for the position.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a Scrum Master resume that gets you in the daily standups:
- Use the Scrum Master resume template up top. It has the right resume format for Scrum Master jobs.
- Prove your Scrum skills with accomplishments. Show what you’ve done and how well you’ve done it.
- Customize your resume by matching it to the job ad. If they mention an important skill, make sure to prove it in your resume sections.
- Add “extra” sections to your resume. They’re there to show you aren’t just doing this for the paycheck.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for Scrum Master jobs? Not sure how to show Scrum Master on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!