Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
In a few minutes, you’ll have the best help desk resume in the pile. But think about this—
Competition for help desk jobs is fierce.
Everyone knows it’s the backdoor into IT careers, so everybody’s trying it.
You don’t need experience, but you need to show off help desk skills.
Your resume for help desk jobs also has to be so readable they get your points in seconds.
Nail that and you’ll be resetting passwords and recovering files in no time.
In this guide:
- An IT help desk resume sample better than most.
- How to write a winning help desk resume.
- How to make a help desk job description for resumes that gets phone calls.
- Why you can’t just list help desk skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Help Desk Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Friendly help desk specialist with 2 years of experience solving tech problems in fast-paced offices. Seeking to deliver IT solutions at Tremmens-Bart Systems. At Silicon Bytes, promoted to top-tier specialist in 6 months for extensive Zendesk knowledge.
Help Desk Associate
Silicon Bites Inc., Salt Lake City, UT
- Promoted to top-tier help desk support specialist thanks to extensive knowledge of Zendesk and IT ticketing system.
- Received help desk employee of the month award 2x for expertise in troubleshooting software and hardware issues.
- Maintained 99% positive customer scores in post-ticket exit surveys for excellent listening skills and high levels of customer service.
- Selected by management to train and onboard 3 new help desk employees thanks to deep knowledge of operating systems.
Suggested key changes to IT help desk ticketing system use that resulted in a 10% time savings across all departments.
Kirk-Reiter Global, Salt Lake City, UT
- Served as unofficial IT Help Desk tech for 15 office employees.
- Resolved 10+ software and hardware issues per week, including issues with workstations, printers, and projector equipment.
- Escalated challenging issues to IT contractors.
Assisted with upgrade of 10 office workstations to Windows 10. Achieved zero downtime for employees and 95% performance satisfaction.
AA Business Administration
Utah State University
- President, Small Business Leaders student group.
- Recognized by professors for technical expertise.
2019 — CompTIA A+ Certification
2019 — Microsoft IT Support
- Completed Dale Carnegie customer service training.
- Walk dogs 3x per month at West Jordan Animal Shelter.
Hard Skills: Zendesk, Salesforce, phone system support, troubleshooting, desktop support
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, communication, friendliness
Do you really need a help desk support resume? Could you get a job as an IT project manager assistant? See our guides:
- Computer Science Resume Sample & Guide
- IT (General Resume Sample & Guide)
- IT Project Manager Assistant Resume Sample & Guide
- Technical Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume examples for over 200 jobs.
Here’s how to write an IT help desk resume that clicks:
1. Use the Best IT Help Desk Resume Format
Did you know:
Most help desk job openings get 100+ applications.
Then they hire one.
You have to be like Luke Skywalker flying down the Death Star trench.
It starts with the right resume format.
Most hiring managers like the reverse-chronological layout.
Use these tips to set it up:
Help Desk Resume Format
- Use 1-inch margins and don’t skimp on the white space.
- Choose a good resume font like 11–14pt Noto or Trebuchet.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, History, Education, and Skills.
- Set a 1-page resume length and stick to it.
- Save the resume in PDF form. Those fit every screen there is.
Expert Hint: Don’t give up! Deloitte only hires 3.5% of applicants. Google hires one in 200. You may need to apply to 150 jobs before you land a good one. Apply to 3 a day so you’ll have time to tailor your resume—to raise your chance of getting hired.
2. Make a Help Desk Resume Objective or Summary
You send 30 IT help desk resumes.
You hear nothing. No calls. No emails. Just a lot of recruiter spam.
Your resume for help desk jobs must pull them in.
- An adjective (efficient, friendly)
- “help desk” (or the title from the job ad)
- Years of experience (2+, 3+)
- How & who you’ll help (deliver IT solutions at Tremmens-Bart)
- Best help desk moments (promoted to top-tier specialist in 6 months...)
Want it to go fast? Then write it last.
See these IT help desk resume examples:
IT Help Desk Resume Summary—Example
This is money:
The second of those help desk resume samples says you can use Zendesk. The first shows you were promoted for doing it well.
Do that with your resume, and you’ll be the first ticket on their list.
But what if your help desk experience is thinner than an Acer Swift 7?
See this entry-level resume for help desk jobs:
Entry-Level Help Desk Resume Objective
Only the first of those entry-level help desk resume examples shows real experience.
But here’s the kicker—
It’s the same person in both cases.
Expert Hint: According to a study by the Service Desk Institute, 36% of help desks are hiring new employees. But to get in with a good one, your help desk support resume will need to prove communication skills.
3. Target Your Help Desk Job Description and Skills Section
What IT help desk skills go on your resume?
See this list:
Help Desk Skills for Resumes
CompTIA A+ Certification
Phone System Support
Hardware & Software
HubSpot, Jira Service Desk
A help desk job is like a trouble ticket. No two are the same.
You can’t just make one resume and machine-gun it to 50 jobs.
Without those skills, you won’t know which resume keywords to use.
See these help desk resume samples to nail it:
They’re for a job that needs Zendesk, troubleshooting, customer service, and training.
IT Help Desk Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The second of those help desk resume examples isn’t bad. But does it fit the job?
If you’re just winding up your help desk career, do a quick skills assessment.
Do you have experience with customer service? Have you worked with computers in non-help-desk jobs?
An entry-level resume can still shine!
See these IT help desk resume examples with no experience:
The job wants customer service, communication, and software and hardware skills.
Entry-Level Help Desk Resume Job Description [Sample]
The first of those help desk resume samples will get oohs and ahhs.
That “10+” is magic. Numbers add punch!
Expert Hint: A Zendesk study shows the average customer satisfaction score for help desk employees is 95%. If your personal best is below that, consider leaving it off your help desk support resume.
4. Target Your Education Section
You don’t need a ton of schooling on a resume for help desk jobs.
But you need a solid education section.
Include your school name and degree.
But add a couple skills the IT department wants.
This IT help desk resume sample shows how:
Help Desk Resume Example—Education
5. Add Special Sections to Your Help Desk Resume
You’re halfway to hired.
Let’s make your resume for help desk jobs sing.
Got a Net+ certification? Have you done volunteer work?
Those can help a resume for help desk jobs.
- Certifications (CompTIA A+, Network+, etc.)
- Additional activities
See these help desk resume examples:
IT Help Desk Resume—Other Sections
That first IT help desk resume sample sells it. Who wouldn’t hire someone with all those skills and passion?
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your resume for help desk jobs. If it’s hard to talk about yourself, just focus on the job and why it’s perfect for you. If it’s not, move on.
Here’s how to write a help desk resume:
- Start with our IT help desk resume template. Add IT accomplishments from past jobs or from your life.
- List help desk skills like Zendesk or customer service. Show you rocked them in your bullet points.
- Write a help desk support resume objective. Put your best IT features in it.
- Add “special” resume sections for CompTIA or other certifications or volunteer work.
- Write an IT help desk cover letter. If you need to showcase your excellent customer service skills check out also our customer service representative cover letter example.
Need more career advice? Check out these resources:
- Computer skills to put on resume
- Free resume templates in MS Word
- Free resume templates in Google Docs
Got questions on how to write good resumes for help desk jobs? Not sure how to put help desk on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!