A resume for internships that’ll get you into the interview. Write your internship resume fast, with expert hints, 25+ writing tips & good and bad examples.
Abstract: Art directors work in various industries that include fashion, film, television, publishing, advertising, and marketing. Their core responsibility is supervising and unifying the overall vision of a product, whether that be a movie, a new line of clothes, cosmetics, or cars. They work closely with creative and accounting teams, and utilize a variety of mediums to present concepts and ideas. A resume for art director jobs should highlight the candidate’s qualifications and experience in a clear and concise way.
Ever want to be the face that picks the face of the brand? The authority on which light, angle and color palettes to use?
Have you completed tens of thousands of designs and hundreds of projects across the years? Have you seen it all, and yet endeavor to come up with something new?
You might just be the right mix of bitter and excellent to make a world-class art director. All that’s left to do is to convince someone of that with your art director resume. And with employment of art directors set to decline by 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, your resume will in fact need to be convincing.
In this guide:
- An art director resume sample that doesn’t get ignored.
- Proven methods to structure your art director job description.
- Expert advice to polish your resume so that you can be proud of it.
Got a pen? Yes, a Staedtler Pigment Liner Pen will do.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Applying to a range of positions? See our other dedicated guides:
- Art Teacher Resume
- Artist Resume/Artist CV
- Dance Resume
- Graphic Design Resume
- Marketing Resume
- Marketing Manager Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Executive Assistant Resume
- Product Manager Resume
- Manager Resume
- Photographer Resume
- Film Resume
- Fashion Resume
- Social Media Resume
- UX Designer Resume & UI Developer Resume
- Program Manager Resume
- Journalist Resume
- Filmaker Resume
- Best Resume Examples for All Jobs
Art Director Resume Sample You Can Trace
3340 Kessla Way
Charleston, SC 29403
Forward-looking art director with 17+ years of experience in the clothing industry. For the past 7+ years, solely responsible for the art profile of LookSharp, a menswear brand with 1100+ products in total. During this time, created 100+ original designs used across the product range. Maintained a database of 400+ photographers, stylists and editors, as well as a library of 55,000 art files. Implemented a hiring policy that saved $75k last year. Silver ADDY Award 2011 laureate, Best Video Campaign in 2018 Award (Drum Digital Advertising Awards US). Enthusiastic about applying creative and business experience at Bobby Productions.
- Responsible for the style of external communications and advertising of LookSharp, a menswear brand.
- Supervising the art direction of new menswear products, now 1100+ products total.
- Created 100+ original designs and patterns used across the menswear casual and formal ranges.
- Created 9 product category catalogs for wholesale clients, totaling 750 pages, 2000+ photos. Their introduction saw a 8% wholesale turnover boost in the subsequent year.
- Directed 150+ photo shoots for the brand, maintaining a database of 400+ photographers, stylists, and editors internationally.
- Managing and organizing the library of 55,000 art files, including photos, video, copy, drafts, mock-ups and concepts.
- Implemented remote hiring policy based on maximum freedom (100% (9) remote hires in 2019), saving $75k on equipment, employee perk and office costs.
Assistant Art Director
- Promoted due to outstanding results of prepared campaigns, and receiving the Silver ADDY award from American Advertising Awards.
- Assigned to clothing industry advertising projects for clients like ASOS and Nordstrom. Developed online, print, video and email campaigns. Campaigns exceeded sales projections by 2 to 18%.
- Successfully rolled out over 350 single advertisements in 12 campaigns. Scheduled, supervised, and picked photography for all materials.
- Saved $250k on unneeded stock photography by hiring prolific stock artists directly.
Senior Graphic Designer
- Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, After Effects
- Art Directors Toolkit 5i, Art Files 3 (Code Line)
- Client Relationship Management
- Active Listening
- Graphic Design
- Project Management
BS in Fine Art
- 2018 — Best Video Campaign (LookSharp) — The Drum Digital Advertising Awards US
- 2011 — Silver ADDY Award — American Advertising Awards
- Project Management Professional (Project Management Institute)
I know you can’t wait to do it your own way.
1. Set Your Art Director Resume Format
While you are the authority on what gets through to the audiences and what doesn’t, I’m here to tell you what rules are usually observed. Whether you adhere to the rules or not, only you know, and only you will know whether you should or not.
Here’s what you “should do” for your resume format:
Art Director Resume Format
- List your experience in reverse-chronological resume format.
- Pick an elegant resume font like Noto or Helvetica in 10–12pt.
- Use 1-inch resume marginsand negative space between sections.
- Follow this order of resume sections: Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and “Additional.”
- Fit on a one-page resume. Cut down on descriptions of your education. A 2-page resume is also allowed, given that you have enough stellar achievements under your belt.
- Send your resume as a PDF, unless requested to do otherwise.
Now that you’re on your way to a perfect resume, let’s start preparing the hard copy.
Expert Hint: If you are applying for these positions, your story might be as long as the one of the art itself. Focus on the most recent and most quantifiable achievements. If you held different positions with different responsibilities, the art director resume is one of the ones where a two-page resume is acceptable.
2. Nail Your Art Director Resume Summary or Objective
Ever start reading an advert and don’t know what it’s about? It’s a 50/50. 50% of the time you get to the big reveal, and deploy a ‘Wow, that’s cool.’ before moving on with your life. 50% of the time you have moved on with your life before the reveal.
Your introduction paragraph may be the only thing that gets read, so don’t play games, and state right away the absolute top achievements you have in your field, backed up by client names, numbers, and awards.
In other words, write a targeted resume by picking the most relevant experience to include in your resume summary. Scan the job ad for specific skills and experience. These will be your resume keywords, and should be found throughout your art director resume. Not only will they work like subliminal cuts, but will save your resume from oblivion by making it ATS-compliant.
Here are some right and wrong examples of a summary of qualifications.
Art Director Resume Summary—Example
Show the magnitude of the impact you can make by including key metrics and achievements that you can translate to your new employer’s reality.
Are you aiming high and need to write an entry-level resume for an art director job?
That being said, here’s some motivation for you—art directors’ median annual wage is one of the highest of all occupations, so says the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Junior Art Director Resume Objective—Example
Very good. The good examples, that is. Next, move on to writing a shining work experience section.
3. Stand Out With a Clio-Award-Level Job Description
Has enough paper been printed in the world to fit all the experience you have? Probably not. Study your new employer closely, and determine their profile and what they will expect of you. Base the job description on facts that prove you can handle it.
Use strong resume words and back your claims up with achievements. Let your portfolio speak for you—don’t describe the work, let them see it. Describe the impact it made, the profits, the awards. That’s how to capture this audience.
Art Director Resume Job Description
Once you have expanded on some points, you may end up with a long list of things you haven’t had space to talk about. You may have some technologies, mediums, and skills that you want to include, but don’t have space to discuss. You can list those in a resume skills section.
Art Director Skills for Resume
- Active Listening
- Business Design
- Conceptual Planning
- Cost Management
- Designing Project Scope
- Managing Multiple Large-Scale Projects
- Negotiating with vendors
- Strategy Development
- Team Management & Delegation
- Written Communication
- Project Management Software (e.g. FunctionFox)
- Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, After Effects, etc.
- Art Directors Toolkit 5i, Art Files 3
- Client Relationship Management
- UX Design
- Print Design
- Photography and Branding
- Video Production
- Computer Skills
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Streamline Your Education Section
Those definitely-sober days of plein-air painting and rebelling against the very norms that have now made you so successful, regardless of whether you made it here by obeying or breaking them so far. A pleasant memory, is all it is.
You now have so much experience it would crop up as a possible megalomania red flag if you boasted about your GPA from 2001. List your major, school name, and graduation date.
Art Director Resume Sample—Education
Expert Hint: Some art director positions may require more than a bachelor’s degree. List your master’s degree first, keeping the reverse-chronological order, and read more about listing education on your resume.
5. Round Out Your Art Director Resume With Added Sections
After a career like this, you have some talking pieces. A few awards, a cupboard of very useful diplomas and certifications, and perhaps a language. If you feel it is relevant to your new position, space these out in separate bonus resume sections.
Consider these if it’s not too cramped already:
- Foreign Languages
- Activities, Hobbies, and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Compare these two art director resume examples:
Art Director Resume—Extra Sections
As you well know, negative space is better than redundant information, so exercise caution.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to write a cover letter for your art director job resume. Since nearly half of hiring teams expect one, you don’t want to make the mistake of omitting it. Also, it’s a great way of highlighting your qualifications and of showing genuine interest in the position.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Remember the following and add your own flair:
- Start with a professional resume format—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Use ResumeLab’s art director resume sample.
- Quantify the impact and achievements, instead of just describing work. Think about projects completed, budgets, schedule, improvements.
- Limit the length of the education section to make space for experience.
- Write a fine art director cover letter.
Did you find our art director resume examples helpful? Are you writing a junior or senior art director resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.