Quick resume guide with resume templates, resume examples, and expert tips on how to write a resume fast.
“We’d love to hire you. But—”
You’ve got no relevant experience.
How can you ever get a job?
You’ve got life experience.
Trust us. You’ve done things that make you valuable. You’re not a toddler.
You just need to put those details in the right resume format.
In this guide:
- A first time resume with no experience sample better than most.
- What to put in a resume with no work experience so it’s not blank.
- How to make a resume with no job experience that gets phone calls.
- Why you can’t just list skills in a no-experience resume (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Resume with no Experience Sample You Can Copy and Use
Energetic programmer skilled in Java and web app design. Seeking to provide efficient coding for Alcoa. Created several apps in Java and C, including a chess game and API-linked to-do list that syncs with Google Sheets. Took 2nd place price in Codewars Novice Division contest in 2018.
BS Computer Science, Austin College
Game Development & Design
- Wrote 3 game applications with Unreal gaming engine.
- Modeled 20+ 3D objects.
- Received Ladd Scholarship for mobile game app design study.
- My article in school paper on multiplayers was linked to by Engadget.
Data Science and Analytics
- Commended by two professors for data analytics skills.
- Created mock medical health care system app.
- Used polling data to create election poll accurate within +/- 5%.
- Excelled in cloud computing classes, maintaining 4.0 GPA.
- Created and maintained 3 virtual machines.
- Pursued a passion for cloud security coursework.
- Created neural networks project that was written up in school paper.
- Wrote flower classifying app that won school AI fair 3rd prize.
- Created own chess game in Java. Added functionality to store multiple user profiles and games in online MySQL database.
- Developed to-do list synced with Evernote and Google Sheets via API. Included persistent notifications for urgent tasks.
- Worked as part of a team of 3 programmers to develop a RESTful API that interfaced with IMdB to pull movie data.
- Wrote C code for a simulation of a soccer game using existing game concepts. Wrote algorithms for passing and randomizing.
2nd Place, Codewars Novice Division 2018
- Attended ByteHacks Hackathon 2018.
- Founded the HomeStarSleeper Coding Group with 21 members.
- Walk dogs at the Cadillac County Animal Shelter 1x per month.
- Member of a weekly road cycling club.
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) Java
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer
Hard Skills: Java, web app design, PHP, Python, debugging, hardware installation
Soft Skills: teamwork, communication, critical thinking, problem solving
Want some other first time resume with no experience samples? See our guides:
- Resume for College Application Sample & Guide
- Student Resume Sample & Guide
- Internship Resume Sample & Guide
- Entry-Level Resume Sample & Guide
- Teen Resume Sample & Guide
- High School Graduate Resume Sample & Guide
- High School Resume Sample & Guide
- College Student Resume Sample & Guide
- Recent College Graduate Resume Sample & Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume examples for over 200 jobs.
Now here’s how to make a resume with no experience:
1. Use the Right Format in a Resume With no Experience
You want the job. But—
So do hundreds of others.
And they have lots of experience.
How can a resume with no work experience compete?
Then use these tips:
Resume with no Experience Format
- Use one great resume font like 10–12pt Garamond or Cambria.
- Include some white space. Set your margins at one inch.
- Make the length of your resume with no experience one page.
- Create these resume sections: Heading, Objective, Education, Skills, and a few added sections.
Expert Hint: Save your no-experience resume as a PDF. PDF resumes work no matter what screen hiring teams view them on, and ATS readers can read them.
2. Write an Eye-Catching Resume Objective
“She’s got no experience... but still!”
You’ve got little time to make a first impression.
Most hiring teams glance at resumes. You’ll get about six seconds before trash-time.
But there’s hope.
A resume with no work experience for college students or high school can still wow them. It starts with a solid resume objective.
- One adjective (energetic, hard-working)
- The job title (nanny, programmer, cook, retail associate)
- How/whom you’ll help (provide efficient coding for Alcoa)
- Best relevant accomplishment (2nd place price in Codewars contest)
These resume with no experience examples will start you off:
Summary for a Resume with no Experience
See the difference?
Even a high school resume with no work experience can soar. If you start it with a bang.
It’s those details. I’ll show more in the next section.
Expert Hint: Write the summary for your resume with no experience last. If you write it first, you’ll spend too much time head-scratching and won’t think of good achievements.
3. Education Is Key in a Resume with no Experience
You don’t have work history. But—
You’ve done things to impress them.
To write a great resume with no work experience, dig into the online job posting. It’s stuffed with resume keywords.
Does that sound complicated?
They’re just skills, duties, and responsibilities.
These first time resume with no experience samples show how:
Let’s say the job ad wants skills in game development, data science, cloud computing, and machine learning.
Teaching Assistant Education—Example
That first resume with no experience sample has everything.
Didn’t do that many projects?
You can also list sports teams, school groups, clubs, projects, and other academic pursuits. Use each one to show relevant skills.
Expert Hint: Just graduated high school? A high school resume with no work experience can even show classes you were passionate about, or teacher kudos.
4. Put Life in a Resume with no Experience
Your resume with no work experience is blank!
They’ll never hire you.
That’s not true. You’ve done more than you think.
Think about the job needs. Is it a nanny job? Programming? Cooking? Waiting tables? What about retail?
Each of those needs certain skills.
For example, say you want to be a nanny. Have you looked after your little brother/sister? Put that in your no-experience resume.
Or maybe you want to be a line cook? Have you cooked for family or friends? Yep—that warrants mention on a resume.
These resume with no experience examples show how:
Job ad wants these skills: (1) Java (2) MySQL (3) API (4) collaboration (5) writing algorithms.
How to Write a Resume with No Experience
In a nanny resume with no experience, call that section, “Personal Nanny Experience.”
Same with a no experience resume for cooking or retail. Call it “Personal Cooking Experience” or “Personal Customer Service Experience.”
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
5. Prove Your Skills in a no Experience Resume
This is key:
Don’t just list your skills.
Anyone can write a list.
You have to prove them.
Let’s say you want to prove leadership and problem-solving skills.
So—find a life event where you used those skills.
Then put them in bullet points like this:
You can use any life event, club, group, or effort to prove your skills.
You’ll need both soft and hard skills on your resume with no work experience for college students or high school students.
“Soft skills” are transferable skills that work in any job.
Those are qualities like interpersonal skills, communication, efficiency, and work ethic.
“Hard skills” are technical skills like MS Office or cloud computing.
This list of top resume skills can get you started:
Resume With no Experience Skills
6. Add Extras to Your Resume with no Experience
Still coming up short?
Your resume with no work experience must fill the page—but not with “filler!”
With extras that show related skills.
You can add resume sections for:
- Classes or certifications (like First Aid or ServSafe Food Handler)
- Portfolio website (You must put this in a resume with no experience for computer science pros)
- Additional activities
- Honors & awards
- Foreign languages
- Clubs & groups (BSA, computing clubs)
- Volunteering experience
You don’t need all of those.
Just the ones that show off your finest hours!
These no experience resume examples get it going:
Resume With no Experience—Extra Sections
Hint: I’d hire #1.
That first no experience resume sample pumps up your skills.
It also shows your passion.
Are you getting the picture? It’s not about your work history.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. The hiring manager will spend more time reading your resume with no work experience. Tip: don’t brag. Talk most about the job.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a resume with no experience:
- Use the no experience resume template up top. It stops the “can’t get a job without experience” cycle.
- Focus on life accomplishments. Put them in your objective, education, and “extra” sections.
- Zero in on skills they need. They’re your best resume keywords, and they’re in the online job ad.
- Include a cover letter. Talk about the job a lot. Give evidence you’re a good fit despite lack of experience.
Got questions on how to write a resume with no work experience for college students? Writing a teen no experience resume and don’t know where to start? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!