Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
You’re about to see a great sample resume with gaps in employment.
Resume gaps can hurt your hiring chancesand make employers wonder.
“Is she an alcoholic? Flighty? Depressed? A convict?”
Let’s dispel that.
You can prove you’re worthy—even with employment gaps on a resume.
You just need to show there’s no gap in your skills.
In this guide:
- A sample resume with gaps in employment better than most.
- How fill in employment gaps on resumes convincingly.
- Employment gaps on resume examples for sabbaticals, illness, death, depression, soul-searching, and career change.
- How to explain gaps in employment on resumes so you get hired.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Sample Resume with Gaps in Employment You Can Copy and Use
IT Project Manager
Resourceful IT project manager with 4+ years of experience and 10 years of business experience. Seeking to increase IT project efficiency at Aegisdyne. At Ermschwender Aerospace, managed 200+ projects with Oracle Primavera P6. Slashed meeting times by 10 hrs/wk for each of 10+ engineers, saving $300,000 per year. Trained 3 IT staff.
- Took time off to be with family after loss of child.
- Founded Southern California Chapter of Butterfly Legacy Foundation.
- Handled all accounting and budgeting. Raised donations 50% in 1 yr.
IT Project Manager
- Developed system to raise efficiency of requirements management. Slashed 10 meeting hours a week for 10+ engineers.
- Managed 200+ projects with Oracle Primavera P6.
- Onboarded and trained 3 new IT hires.
- Worked with 10+ cross-functional teams to cut costs 20%.
- Facilitated integration of customer software into our workflow. Contributed to 25% increase in repeat business.
- Raised documentation efficiency 43% through automation.
- Administered two AS9100 certified databases with zero downtime.
BS Computer Science, Soka University of America
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society.
- Excelled in process development classes.
- Dedicated mother of two.
- Mentor 15+ IT professionals.
- Teach yoga 2x per week.
- 2019 — Pink 19 — Led presentation on creating custom software.
- 2017 — IBM Think
- 2016 — tabGeeks
Hard Skills: Project management, requirements management, Oracle Primavera P6, process development, user acceptance testing
Soft Skills: Leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration
That sample resume with employment gaps does one thing:
It shows the gap fast, with proof you used key skills.
Does the employment gap on your resume come from a career change? See this guide: Resume for a Career Change
Are you writing a resume for a specific career? See our step-by-step resume samples and guides for dozens of professions.
Now here’s how to fill employment gaps in your resume:
1. Be Honest When Explaining Employment Gaps on Resumes
Just want the quick and dirty facts?
Here are the topline info for resume employment gaps on a resume:
How to Fill in Employment Gaps on Resumes
Let’s see some good reasons for gaps in employment.
Then I’ll give some employment gaps on resume examples.
2. Have Good Reasons for Gaps in Employment
Now the good news.
Hiring teams will care what you went through.
They won’t think less of you. But—
Give a good reason for employment gaps on your resume. Here are five:
Good Reasons for Gaps in Employment
- Illness. Were you or a loved one sick or injured? That’s a legit reason for a gap in employment on a resume.
- Death. Never be ashamed of an employment gap on your resume after a loved one dies.
- Tragedy. Miscarriage or other misfortune are legitimate reasons for employment gaps on resumes.
- Soul searching. Finding your path in life is noble and worthwhile. Many employers respect it.
- Tried a different career. Did you test the waters, then come back to your roots? That’s human. Hiring teams are human too.
Don’t just give your reason.
Show the employment gap on your resume bore fruit to help with your next job.
Assure them it’s a one-time thing.
Expert Hint: Put extra skills proof in your education resume section. An honors society or big project helps a lot in a resume with employment gaps.
3. Show the Employment Gap on Your Resume in Your Experience Section
Where should you put resume gaps?
The right place to show an employment gap on a resume is in your work history.
List it as a sabbatical, and show three things:
- List the start and end dates of the employment gap on your resume.
- Give the reason for your resume employment gap.
- Show you did something positive for your skill set in that time.
In other words?
You need to show you weren’t just eating bon-bons.
These employment gaps on resume examples show how:
Imagine the job ad wants skills in leadership, system development, Oracle Primavera P6, training, and working with cross-functional teams.
Employment Gap on a Resume—Experience Section
You were up-front about your gap.
You also showed the leadership skill they want—in the employment gap on your resume!
You proved other skills in your work history. You customized your resume.
Think they’ll hold that gap against you? Nope.
Expert Hint: Put “other” sections in your resume with skills the job wants. Certifications or conferences you spoke at can help outweigh employment gaps on resumes.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. More Employment Gaps on Resume Examples
See the employment gaps on resume examples below.
Each one touts a skill shown in the job ad.
Each also says the employment gap on your resume is in the past.
Car accident gaps in employment on resume:
- Time off to recover from car accident.
- Was able to return to trail running 2x per week.
- Took Lynda class in bookkeeping.
Cancer gap in employment on your resume:
- Time off to fight cancer diagnosis.
- Declared cancer free.
- Worked towards CompTIA A+ certification.
Soul searching resume employment gap:
- Time off to find career path.
- Worked as video kayaker on Class V rivers in West Virginia.
- Used teamwork and problem-solving skills to sell 25% more videos than company average.
- Settled on remote accounting work as ideal career.
Tried different career employment gap on resume:
Software Engineer, 2017–present
- Developed 20+ client apps and websites.
- Collaborated with team of 10 to raise UX scores 18%.
- Gained insights about back-end work to fuel my marketing career.
Each of those employment gaps on resume examples does two things:
- It shows your gap helped build key skills.
It says the gap is history.
5. Choose the Right Resume Format for Employment Gaps on Resumes
You filled the employment gap on your resume. But—
You used the wrong resume format.
Don’t make that mistake.
Use the reverse-chronological layout to put everything above board.
Employment Gaps on Resume Format
- Use a single-page resume with one-inch margins.
- Write with Didot, Cambria, or another trusted resume font in 10–12pt.
- Make resume sections like Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Add white space to let it breathe.
- Save PDF copies. PDF resumes travel well to different employers.
Expert Hint: You can also try a functional resume or combination resume to spotlight your skills and not your history. Beware—some recruiters don’t like functional resumes.
6. Stop Your Next Gap in Employment Before it Starts
The best advice?
Don’t have another employment gap on your resume.
“But my resume gap was unavoidable.”
The minute you’re out of work—
- Do some consulting. Use your skills to do a few hours of week of work.
- Volunteer. You’ll build transferable skills like teamwork or leadership.
- Freelance. Take on a small project here or there.
- Enroll in an online class. Lynda classes make great filler for employment gaps on a resume.
Expert Hint: You don’t need a full-time job to fill in a resume job gap. Even four or five hours a week of volunteering can help save face for your career.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to fill in employment gaps on resumes:
- Use the employment gap on resume template up top. It puts your resume employment gap in the right place.
- Show a skill or two you used during the employment gap on your resume. Make it a skill the new job wants.
- If you accomplished something impressive, show it. Add numbers to make it real.
- Reassure employers the gap in employment on your resume was a one-time thing and won’t repeat.
Got questions on how to fill employment gaps on a resume? Need more employment gaps on resume examples? We’ll be happy to reply!