Writing a resume is hard work, but with our best resume tips and advice, it's a piece of cake. Here are over 50 of our professional resume dos and don'ts, along with resume mistakes to avoid.
You’re about to see a battle-tested marketing manager resume sample. But first—
You’ve got your work cut out for you.
A resume for marketing manager jobs is a campaign in itself.
Worse, you’re selling to a thick-skinned audience immune to sales pitches.
You’ve only got a sheet or two of paper. Talk about a limited budget!
What can you do?
Treat it like any campaign. Know your market and create engaging content.
We’ll show you how to do it quick, so you come out More than OK.
In this guide:
- A marketing manager resume sample better than most.
- How to write a traditional or digital marketing manager resume that gets results.
- How to make a targeted marketing manager job description for resumes.
- Why you can’t just list marketing manager skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Not quite management material yet? See our guides:
- Marketing Resume Sample
- Marketing Director Resume Sample
- Public Relations Resume Sample
- Copywriter Resume Sample
- Social Media Manager Resume Sample
- Brand Ambassador Resume Sample
- Digital Marketing Resume Sample
- Project Manager Resume
- Chief Financial Officer / CFO Resume
Not a marketing manager? Looking for a different manager resume? See these guide Management (General) Resume Sample & Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional Resume Examples.
Marketing Manager Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Energetic marketing manager with 5+ years of experience driving teams to massive revenue growth. Seeking to increase ROI for clients at Skewed Onion Marketing. Led 3 teams of 25 marketing associates at Rasle Bopp, raising revenue $15M for one client.
Rasle Bopp Inc., Toledo, OH
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Led 3 teams of 25 marketing associates to plan and implement 40+ campaigns for banking, automotive, and CPG clients.
- Identified new markets for a stagnant pizza chain that raised brand awareness by 20% and revenue by 9%.
- Streamlined teams using Agile methods to lower marketing costs 10% and time-to-market for campaigns by 25%.
Raised revenue for an electronics client by $15M through multi-platform campaigns in digital, TV, and audio.
Azure Frog Marketing, Toledo, OH
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Trained and onboarded 4 new marketing associates. Ensured 35% increase in compliance to OKRs. All 4 won promotions in 6 months.
- Led team that created radio ad campaign shortlisted for RAB award.
Suggested changes to meeting style that saved 20+ hrs per week.
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH
- Pursued a passion for digital marketing coursework.
- Master's thesis on SEM marketing written up in ReadWrite.
Ohio State University
- Member, AMA.
- Mentor 20 marketing managers in team leadership.
2018 — Ran campaign for local Montessori school that raised $200K in 1 year.
2017 — Ran online campaign for animal shelter that raised $50,000 in 3 months.
Hard Skills: CPG, CRM, SEO, SEM, PPC, sales funnel management, email marketing
Soft Skills: Interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration
Here’s how to write a marketing manager resume that sells:
1. Use the Best Marketing Manager Resume Format
You’d never launch a non-mobile-friendly website.
Yet too many marketing managers write non-employer-friendly resumes.
Your resume formatting can win your audience—or lose them.
Tell your story with the reverse-chronological resume format.
Then fill it with these tips:
Marketing Manager Resume Format
- Set 1-inch margins on the top, sides, and bottom.
- Chose a friendly resume font like 10–12pt Verdana or Garamond.
- Make resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Include white space for breathability.
- Choose a 1 or 2-page resume length depending on your experience.
- Send a PDF resume. Those are user-friendly across every platform.
Expert Hint: A study from the International Journal of Management found that spreading marketing knowledge through all levels of an organization improves business performance. Work with cross-functional teams or communicating messages outside your department looks good on a marketing manager resume.
2. Make a Marketing Manager Resume Summary or Objective
Engaging with your audience is key.
And you’ve got to do it fast.
Attention spans today are short. If they don’t like you in an instant, they’ve got 300 other resumes to look at.
- An adjective (energetic, engaging)
- “marketing manager” or “digital marketing manager” (use the title from the ad)
- Years of experience (2+, 8+)
- How & who you’ll help (raise ROI for clients at Skewed Onion Marketing)
- An achievement or two for your resume—your best marketing manager moments (raised revenue $15M...)
Tip: write it last.
See these digital marketing manager resume examples:
Marketing Manager Resume Summary—Example
The second of those marketing manager resume samples says you’ll lead teams to get big revenue. The first adds proof like 25 and $15M.
“But that marketing manager is a superhero! I’m not that good!”
You don’t have to be. Just show your best efforts.
See this entry-level resume for marketing managers:
Entry-Level Marketing Manager Resume Objective
Neither of those entry-level marketing manager resume examples has held the title.
But the first shows key features and benefits.
Expert Hint: Seth Godin’s excellent book This is Marketing says to focus on specifics. Don’t target any old marketing manager job with your resume. Find the ones you fit best, and your resume will write itself.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
3. Target Your Marketing Manager Job Description and Skills Section
What marketing manager skills work on resumes?
Here’s a list, but there’s a catch:
Marketing Manager Skills for Resumes
Radio & TV Marketing
Sales Funnel Management
Here is a list with more marketing skills.
In marketing, you need to define your target market.
It’s the same with the work experience section of a resume for marketing jobs.
Each job needs its own resume skills. They can’t come from an online list.
See these product marketing manager resume samples:
The company wants a marketing manager who can lead teams, raise brand awareness, use Agile methodology, and run multi-platform campaigns.
Marketing Manager Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
Here’s the great part:
Most applicants will do it like the second of those product marketing manager resume examples. That gives you a chance to stand out like Douglas Holt.
But what if you’re just launching your marketing management career?
In a resume with no experience, define your value first.
See these digital marketing manager resume examples with no experience:
They’re for a job that needs training, leadership, and process improvements.
Entry-Level Marketing Manager Resume Job Description [Sample]
Expert Tip: A study of 968 marketing managers found conflict-management skills significantly affected productivity. Have you resolved conflicts between teams or team members with good results? Show that in your content marketing manager resume.
4. Power-Up Your Education Section
Successful marketing campaigns are based on audience engagement.
How can your marketing communications manager resume engage employers?
By adding things they want to your resume education section.
This email marketing manager resume sample shows how:
Marketing Manager Resume Example—Education
5. Add More to Your Marketing Manager Resume
It’s almost go-time.
Let’s give you the best chance at that dream marketing manager job.
Do you have certifications? Publications?
Have you done something that’ll make them say, “Wow?”
In your additional resume sections you can include:
- Associations (AMA, ANA, IMA, the other AMA)
- Certifications (CMC, PMP, etc.)
- Freelance projects
- Media appearances
- Additional activities
- Sports & fitness
See these digital marketing manager resume examples:
Marketing Manager Resume—Extra Sections
That first marketing manager resume sample is a value proposition. It shows an engaged and capable team leader.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your resume for marketing manager jobs. Make it engaging by knowing your target audience and speaking to their needs.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter maker and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a marketing manager resume:
- Start with our marketing manager resume template. Add bright spots from your marketing manager career.
- List marketing manager skills like leadership or SEO, with numbers to show you’re Modo-Modo-level.
- Write a marketing or marketing communications manager resume summary up top. In it, tease your selling points.
- Add “other” sections to prove you know a campaign from a CTA.
- Write a marketing manager cover letter.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for marketing manager jobs? Not sure how to put marketing manager on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!