Quick resume guide with resume templates, resume examples, and expert tips on how to write a resume fast.
Secretaries, also called administrative professionals, provide support to managers and employees.
They may field phone calls, manage projects, and interact with customers.
Resumes for secretary jobs must show a history of using skills like MS Office, scheduling, or writing documents.
But think about this—
Lots of other people want that secretary job.
Some have more experience than Peggy Olson. They’ll all say they’ve got the skills.
You can get hired if you just do a few things right.
In this guide:
- A secretary resume sample better than most.
- How to make a well-formatted secretary job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for secretary jobs that shows off your best qualities.
- Why you can’t just list secretary skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Secretary Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Efficient secretary with 6+ years of experience. Seeking to maintain smooth office flow at Ballew-Poulin. At Speering & Ashland, typed 5–20 reports per day. Created schedules for work, meetings, and conferences for 20+ employees. Triaged 20+ emails daily. Skilled in MS Office and billing.
Speering & Ashland Inc.
- Performed secretarial duties in a busy construction business.
- Contributed to 10% boost in customer loyalty through better communication.
- Created office schedules and calendars, coordinating with 23 employees.
- Typed and sent 5–20 daily reports and regular correspondences.
- Collaborated with 15 vendors to place orders and manage inventory.
- Triaged 20+ emails daily, replying to easy issues, resolving complaints.
- Fielded 30+ phone calls per day, answering questions and relaying messages.
- Scheduled meetings and conferences between up to 35+ parties.
Bryant Medical, Inc.
- Managed busy office, took 50+ phone calls daily.
- Scheduled 5+ appointments per day.
- Cut errors 20% through better data entry.
- Collaborated with insurance payers to help raise reimbursements 10%.
- Used automated reminder system to aid 15% drop in past-due accounts.
Temp Secretary, 2012
- Worked as temp secretary in 11 firms.
- Used MS Office to write 40+ documents.
- Answered 15+ client phone calls per day.
- Responded to 10+ customer emails daily.
- Recognized by 3 managers for efficiency and pleasant attitude.
BA, Liberal Arts, Bucknell University
- Pursued a passion for bookkeeping study.
- Excelled in writing and computer skills.
- As volunteer student fundraiser, raised $20,000 through alumni calls.
- Member, Campus Arts Board.
- Typing Speed: 105 WPM, zero errors.
- MS Office: Scored 93%+ on 3 Wise Owl Training assessments.
- 10-Key Data Entry: 9,700 KPH.
- ASAP Member (American Society of Administrative Professionals)
- Weekly spin classes for self-care
- Bookkeeper, Jemsen County Animal Shelter
- Perform outreach for local Habitat for Humanity chapter.
Hard Skills: MS Office, building customer relationships, billing, shipping
Soft Skills: written communication, verbal communication, friendliness, organization
Writing a different kind of resume for secretaries? See our guides:
Coming into the secretary world from another job? See this guide:
Here’s how to write a secretary resume that boosts your chances:
1. Choose the Right Secretary Resume Format
You have two possible futures.
In one, a great employer calls and interviews you. You get hired.
In the other, your phone stays silent as an office at 3am.
The first step toward future #1?
Here’s the plan:
Secretary Resume Format
- Choose the reverse-chronological format for resumes.
- Use one of the top resume fonts like 10–12pt Arial or Garamond.
- Add 1-inch margins and white space for easy reading.
- The length of a resume for secretary jobs is one page.
- Include these sections in a resume: Header, Objective, Work History, Education, and Skills.
- Save your secretary resume in PDF format.
Expert Hint: Know what looks great on resumes for secretaries? A typing speed test. There’s a speed test that saves your results online at Live Chat.
2. Write a Secretary Resume Objective or Summary
You’ve got 7 seconds to make a first impression.
That’s how long the office manager will read your secretary skills resume.
- One adjective (detail-oriented, efficient)
- Job title (secretary)
- Years of experience (1+, 4+)
- Who & how you’ll help (maintain smooth office flow)
- Top secretary achievements (triaged 20+ emails per day...)
- A couple skills (MS Office, billing)
These secretary resume examples show the procedure:
Secretary Manager Resume Examples [Summary]
Why is one of those secretary resume samples more powerful?
Hint: it’s the concrete details.
In an entry-level resume for secretary jobs, use temp work or non-secretary jobs.
Medical Secretary Resume Example—Entry-Level
The first of those resume for secretary jobs examples shows secretary skills.
Expert Hint: Want another speed test to list on your resume for secretaries? There’s a great one at Official-Typing-Test.com.
3. Make a Professional Job Description and Skills Section
Here’s a tip about employers:
They skim most resumes.
They read a precious few with interest.
The resumes employers like have job descriptions with the right skills.
To make yours count:
- Look in the job ad for resume keywords.
- Those are the exact resume skills you need to prove.
- Take the time to think when you have used those skills.
These secretary resume examples show how:
The job ad wants these secretary skills: communication, scheduling, typing, collaboration, answering phone calls.
Secretary Manager Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
One of those secretary resume samples has it all. The other lacks:
- The skills from the job ad.
- Numbers for scale.
What about a resume with no experience?
Find times you used the right skills.
These examples show right from wrong:
Let’s say the job ad wants these secretary skills: MS Office, answering phone calls, answering emails, efficiency.
Entry-Level Secretary Server Resume Sample [Experience]
Also worked as temp secretary for 3 months.
One of those school secretary resume examples is hirable.
It proves every skill they asked for.
Here’s a list of secretary skills to get you going:
Secretary Skills for a Resume
Ability to Write Documents
Expert Hint: Don’t have enough skills for your entry-level secretary resume? Consider getting certified by the American Society of Administrative Professionals.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
Does the education section of your resume matter?
After all, you’re a secretary, not an architect or an accountant.
Well here’s the thing—
You can pack more skills into your education section.
That can make employers notice you.
This secretary resume example does it right:
Secretary Resume Template—Education
That shows bookkeeping, computer skills, and phone skills. Even the Arts Board membership shows teamwork.
Those all work great in a resume for secretary jobs.
5. Put “Other” Sections in Your Secretary Resume
There’s only one rule.
If you want the job, stand out.
But in a good way.
“Other” sections in your resume for secretaries can help.
Add one or two of these:
- Associations (like ASAP)
- Skills proficiency (typing speed, data entry speed, MS Office assessments)
- Certifications (like First Aid or IAAP)
- Volunteer work
- Awards (employee of the month)
- Classes you’ve taken
- Additional activities
- Clubs or groups
These unit secretary resume examples show how:
Secretary Resume—Extra Sections
The first of those secretary resume examples shows you’re a pro.
Write a cover letter. They’ll read your resume for secretary jobs so much more carefully if you do.
For a secretary resume that gets you hired:
- Use the secretarial resume template up top. It stands out like a Herman Miller in a room of folding chairs.
- Put secretary achievements in your objective, experience, and education.
- Add secretary skills from the job posting to your bullet points.
- Add some “other” sections to show passion and more skills.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for secretary jobs? Not sure how to show secretary on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!