Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
You’ve stumbled on the perfect legal assistant resume sample.
They won’t hire the best legal assistant for the job.
They’ll hire whoever has the best resume.
Not a resume writing expert? Don’t worry. We are. And we’ll guide you through the steps to knock those partners on their Gucci mohair pants.
In this guide:
- A legal assistant resume sample better than most.
- How to write a legal assistant resume that proves your case.
- How to fine-tune your legal assistant job description to the opening.
- Why you can’t just list legal assistant skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Do you really need a legal assistant resume or something else? See our guides:
- Administrative Assistant Resume
- Executive Assistant Resume
- Medical Assistant Resume
- Paralegal Resume
- Law School Resume
- Legal Resume
- Attorney Resume
- Office Clerk Resume
- Office Assistant Resume
- Office Manager Resume
- Personal Assistant Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples for Over 200 Jobs.
Legal Assistant Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Efficient legal assistant with 3+ years of experience saving time for partners. Seeking to provide fast, excellent support at Dobbins & Eisengart. Wrote 150+ legal documents at Walsh, Harrison & Montana with no errors. Saved 5+ hours a week with new file system.
2019 — Certified Paralegal, NALA
2018 — Certified Notary
Walsh, Harrison & Montana, Minneapolis, MN
- Answered 50+ calls per week on attorney direct lines. Answered customer inquiries and solved minor problems, saving attorney time.
- Maintained office records. Implemented new storage system that saved 5+ clerical hours per week for the firm.
- Prepared billing statements for attorneys, ensuring 7% more billable hours than predecessor. Facilitated a 10% revenue increase.
- Managed documents for 500+ clients with Clio and MS Excel.
- Wrote and proofread 150+ legal documents with zero errors.
Front Desk Clerk
Walsh, Harrison & Montana, Minneapolis, MN
- Answered 20+ partner phone calls per day.
- Proofread 30+ legal documents per week with 99% accuracy.
- Performed 20 trademark searches.
- Scheduled 1,500+ client meetings and appointments.
Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Paralegal Studies
Kent State University, OH
- Pursued a passion for legal document writing.
- Commended by professor for legal research skills.
BA in Liberal Arts
Carleton College, MN
- Excelled in writing and research.
- Conducted senior project in legal research.
- Active member, NALA.
- Walk shelter dogs 2x per month at Hubbard County Animal Shelter.
Hard Skills: billing, legal research, legal document writing, scheduling, docketing
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, detail oriented, time management, communication
Here’s how to write a legal assistant resume that works:
1. Start With the Best Legal Assistant Resume Format
The format of your resume is sloppy. Now the partners think you’re lazy. At this moment, they’re picturing you dropping horseradish on a case file.
Let’s file an injunction against that.
To write a professional legal assistant resume—
Use these tips:
Legal Assistant Resume Format
- Create a 1-page resume.
- Choose a resume font like 11–14pt Arial or Tahoma.
- Leave white space in between so they don’t give up reading.
- Set 1-inch margins.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Add jobs in reverse-chronological resume layout.
- For easy reading on all platforms, send a PDF resume.
Expert Hint: Glassdoor data shows legal assistants make from $42,000 to $79,000 per year. That’s a massive spread. To find your way to the upper end of the range, target your resume for legal assistant jobs like Jack McCoy. I’ll show how next.
2. Make a Legal Assistant Resume Objective or Summary
Most hiring managers and partners spend 6 seconds reading each resume.
But what if you could make them spend ten times that on yours?
- An adjective (efficient, enthusiastic)
- “Legal assistant ” (or title from the job ad)
- Years of experience (1+, 8+)
- How & who you’ll help (provide fast, excellent support at Dobbins & Eisengart)
- Best resume accomplishments(Wrote 150+ legal documents...)
See these legal assistant resume examples:
Legal Assistant Resume Summary—Example
The second of those legal assistant resume samples promises writing and filing. But—
The first adds 150+ documents and 5+ hours saved per week.
Saying you’re skilled is nice. Giving proof is hirable.
“But I’m just getting started in the legal assistant field!”
You can still have a great resume. See these entry-level resume samples for legal assistant jobs:
Entry-Level Legal Assistant Resume Objective
The second of those entry-level legal assistant resume examples with no experience makes empty promises.
Wouldn’t you rather hire the first? You can believe she’ll do the job.
But here’s the kicker—
It’s the same applicant. She just used more details in exhibit A.
3. Target Your Legal Assistant Job Description and Skills Section to the Job
What legal assistant skills do you need in a resume?
See this resume skills list:
Legal Assistant Resume Skills
Attention to Detail
Don’t pin them all on a resume for legal assistant jobs. That’s shifty.
These legal assistant resume samples show how:
Say the job ad wants skills in answering calls, maintaining office records, billing, and proofreading.
Legal Assistant Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
I rest my case.
The first of those legal assistant resume examples has evidence of billing, proofreading, and other desired skills. It’s also got 5+, 10%, and 150+ for scale.
What if your legal assistant experience is preliminary?
A resume with no experience can use law office achievements from other jobs.
See these junior legal assistant resume examples with no experience:
This job wants answering phones, scheduling, and research.
Entry-Level Legal Assistant Resume Job Description [Sample]
Always add numbers when you can to measure your success.
The second of those entry-level legal assistant resume samples misses out on numbers and resume keywords.
Expert Hint: NALA research shows most legal assistants and paralegals work in litigation or family law practices. If you’ve got experience in those areas, show it on your resume for legal assistant jobs. That’s especially powerful if you’re applying to a litigation or family law firm!
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Write a Skills-Packed Education Section
Can your resume education section get you hired?
Yes! But not the way you think.
You don’t need a Harvard Law School degree to be a great legal assistant.
You just need to show you built law skills in school.
Follow this legal assistant resume sample:
Legal Assistant Resume Example—Education
5. Add “Special” Sections to Your Legal Assistant Resume
Who will the partners hire?
A legal assistant who punched a clock? Or someone passionate?
If you show legal achievements outside work, they’ll know you love your career.
You can add:
- Certifications (CP, PC, etc.)
- Professional associations (NALA, NALS)
- Employee awards
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
See these legal assistant resume examples:
Legal Assistant Resume—Other Sections
Only the first of those legal assistant resume samples makes you more hirable.
Expert Hint: Craft a cover letter for your resume for legal assistant jobs. Focus on the firm’s needs so they know you understand them. Then show you’ve handled similar legal assistant duties before.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Haven't written your cover letter yet? See these related guides:
Here’s how to write a legal assistant resume:
- Start with a professional legal assistant resume template. Fill it with your best legal assistant high points.
- Include legal assistant skills like research and writing. Use numbers to show the impact of your skills.
- Write a legal assistant resume objective that gives your best attributes in brief.
- Add “special” resume sections like a NALS membership or CP certification as proof you live and breathe your legal work.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for legal assistant jobs? Not sure how to put legal assistant on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!