A Microsoft Word resume template is a tool which is 100% free to download and edit. It can be used to apply for any position, but needs to be formatted according to the latest resume / curriculum vitae writing guidelines. Enjoy our curated gallery of over 50 free resume templates for Word. Each template has been cherry-picked by a career expert.
You’re using all of your 100Mbps bandwidth to send out system administrator resumes, and nothing is pinging back.
What kind of firewall do they have?
Perhaps, something is getting misinterpreted as a malicious threat.
A malicious threat that will play DOOM in the server room in their flip flops.
Luckily, we know which ports to hit to get your system administrator resume through to interview.
In this guide:
- A system administrator resume sample that doesn’t drop packets.
- The cfg: a resume format guide.
- Expert hints on how to bolster your system administrator job application.
Get the coffee on.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Applying to a range of positions? See our other dedicated guides:
- IT Resume
- IT Project Manager Resume
- Software Engineer Resume
- Web Designer Resume
- UX/UI Resume
- Web Developer Resume
- DevOps Resume
- Data Scientist Resume
- Engineering Resume
- Technical Resume
- Network Engineer Resume
- Cyber Security Resume
- IT Director Resume
- Best Resume Examples for All Jobs
Alright, let’s roll out.
System Administrator Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Michael C. Jolly
4841 Hudson Street
Nutley, NJ 07110
A cost-saving system administrator with 4+ years of experience, and a proven track record in supporting 1,500 users across 4,000 stationary and mobile devices at NeoCorp Jersey. Reduced tickets and ticket response time by 37% and 50% respectively. Improved server uptime from 97% to 99.9%. Seeking to leverage the optimization and saving skills in a new position at T&G.
- Supporting 1,500 users across 4,000 stationary Windows and mobile devices.
- By analyzing ticket types and building a relevant FAQ and Help tool, reduced tickets by 37% and ticket response time by 50%.
- Improved server uptime on the company’s 27 servers from 97% to 99.9%.
- Developed a plan to use Citrix to save time on software installs on 1,500 desktops.
- Found and patched 7 security vulnerabilities in the first year.
Junior System Administrator
- Responsible for 50+ Windows and Linux machines and 25+ users in a startup environment.
- Responsible for all installations, software and hardware rollouts.
- Designed automatizations for software updates, saving 10hrs/month+.
- Grew a team of 5 to 29 IT professionals responsible for local and global systems comprising 600+ machines used by 3,000+ users, present in 27 countries with an annual turnover of $760m.
BSc in Computer Science
University of Texas, Houston
- Cost Optimization
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber Security
- Collaboration Skills
- Communiation Skills
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Red Hat: RHCSA and RHCE
- Linux Professional Institute (LPI): LPIC System Administrator
- CompTIA Server+
- VMware Certified Professional – Data Center Virtualization (VCP-DCV)
- ServiceNow Certified System Administrator
- Intermediate French
- Fluent German
1. Reconfigure Your System Administrator Resume Format
Did anything ever come straight out of the box and work right the first time? Sometimes. An expert like you can tweak it to get the maximum performance. Just like you know Cisco and Linux, we know resumes.
Use this resume format cfg:
System Administrator Resume Format
- The reverse-chronological resume format will bring your most relevant experience to the top.
- Use resume fonts like Calibri or Garamond in 10–12pt.
- Set 1-inch resume margins, and use white space to guide their eyes.
- The one-page resume is probably best. If you have sizable experience and are applying to a specialist position, feel free to extend your resume length.
- Order your resume sections like this: Resume Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and “Additional.”
- Send your resume as a PDF, unless instructed to otherwise.
- Use a modern resume template unless you’re applying to a traditional company.
We’re ready to boot.
2. Write a Fiber Optic System Administrator Resume Summary
Your resume profile must be as smooth and fast as a fiber optic connection. Get the right information through, right away. There is no time to waste. According to the Ladders Eye Tracking Study, employers only spend an average 7.4 seconds scanning a resume.
After you are finished writing your system admin resume, scan it through a few times, and think which pieces of information you’d like to transmit in 7.4 seconds. Then scan the job posting, and think about what they’d like to know you can do by the time 7.4 seconds are up.
Summarize your best achievements with relation to the above, back them up with numbers, and write a 1Gbps resume summary.
System Administrator Professional Summary
Don’t waste packets. Be scarce with words also, sum up the significance of your achievements, but if you need to explain them, do it in your job description.
But what if you’re writing an entry-level system administrator resume? Think internships, volunteering, and school achievements. Here’s an example of a junior system administrator resume.
Expert Hint: To make sure you do not sound generic, considering writing a targeted resume, and referencing your future employer in the resume profile.
3. Patch Your System Administrator Resume Job Description To the Newest Version
The resume work experience section is where you score the points. You have their attention. Demonstrate that you are as perfect as Linux for this job. Focus on the requirements of the job, if it’s a Windows system admin resume, focus on your Windows experience, and vice versa.
Back up your performance with solid numbers to show exactly the kind of impact you can make on their business. Be the Disk Defragmenter they need.
System Administrator Job Description for a Resume
You might end up with a list of 20 technologies you are used to dealing with. Feel free to relegate some of them to a separate resume skills section, which you can also bolster with some soft skills.
System Administrator Skills for Resume
- Access Management
- Network Administration
- Cyber Security & Defense
- Applications Architecture
- Data Center Management
- Agile & SCRUM Methodology
- Research & Analysis
- Database Administration
- Cloud Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Designing Network Architecture
- Database Administration
- Cloud Systems
- Network Administration
- Written Communication
- Active Listening
- Negotiating with Vendors
- Conceptual Planning
- Cost Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
Expert Hint: The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a growth of only 5% for system administrator positions. Many system admins have been in the field for a long time. If you are one of them, consider if a two-page resume could be beneficial.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Buffer Your Education Section Without Glitches
The length of the education section on your resume will depend on the size of your experience. If you have terabytes of relevant experience, you can cut down and just list the school name and major.
Windows System Admin Resume Sample—Education
If you’re writing a recent college graduate resume and have some scholarships under your belt, mention them in the education section as well.
5. Defrag Your System Administrator Resume With Added Sections
The amount of keywords and names in your resume can make it messy. When your certifications and technologies start stacking up, you can defrag your resume by splitting everything up into bonus resume sections. Begin with a certifications section.
Consider the rest only if you have adequate space:
- Tech Stack
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Compare these two system administrator resume examples:
Linux System Administrator Resume—Extra Sections
Limit the length of these sections as you add more experience to your system administrator resume.
One last thing.
Write a cover letter. Though it might seem it’s a thing of the past, almost 50% of recruiters still expect to get one attached to your resume.
Expert Hint: The CompTIA certifications are some of the most sought after on system administrator resumes. Depending on the positions you’re applying to, Server+, Linux+ or Cloud+ specializations might be most suitable.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Follow these protocols so that your Windows system admin resume does not get firewalled:
- Use our resume format cfg—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Quantify the impact and achievements, instead of just listing technologies and responsibilities. Think about numbers, schedules, improvements.
- Limit the length of the education section as you become more experienced.
- Write a system administrator cover letter.
Did you find our System Administrator resume examples helpful? Did we help you get your System Administrator resume right? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.