Resume words that add horsepower to any resume. This resume action words list is so well organized you can find the best resume verbs for your resume in your sleep.
Without you, this whole incredible machine would grind to a halt. The whole company would stop. The server administrators would spend all their time playing The Witcher, not only when nobody's looking. Your boss would definitely get ripped on that SaaS contract.
So, how do we make sure your IT director resume routes you straight to the interview, and doesn’t get firewalled?
Let’s configure and debug it. Luckily, it’s not code. When you remove a bug, 99 new ones won’t appear.
In this guide:
- An IT director resume sample that gets the interview.
- The config file: a resume format guide.
- Expert hints to increase the chances of your IT director job application.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Applying to a range of positions? See our other dedicated guides:
- CEO Resume
- Executive Resume
- Technical Resume
- Entry-Level IT Resume
- IT Resume
- IT Project Manager Resume
- Help Desk IT Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Program Manager Resume
- Cybersecurity Resume
- .NET Developer Resume
- Manager Resume
- Resume Examples for All Jobs
Alright, let’s dial up.
IT Director Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
John B. Jackson
Director of Information Technology
4499 Charla Lane
Houston, TX 77000
A cost-saving IT director with 17+ years of experience, most recently managing a team of 29 IT professionals responsible for local and global systems for SunStar E-Commerce, present in 27 countries with an annual turnover of $760m. In total, responsible for over 600 machines used by 3,000 users. Taking an active part in weekly board meetings. Planned and managed cloud migration in 2015, retiring over 150 servers, saving $200k+/pa in operating costs, and increasing global availability of data between offices. This was cited and commended in the 2016 annual company report as one of the reasons for the 7% increase in efficiency and 5.7% increase in turnover.
Director of Information Technology
- Grew a team of 5 to 29 IT professionals responsible for local and global systems comprising 600+ machines used by 3,000+ users, present in 27 countries with an annual turnover of $760m.
- Oversaw $10m annual IT budget.
- Led successful implementation of new client application in 2019, which decreased the bounce rate from 56% to 44%.
- Planned and managed cloud migration in 2015, retiring over 50 servers, saving $75k+/pa in operating costs, increasing global availability of data between offices.
- Responsible for development and implementation of ERP, LMS, TMS and WMS solutions.
- Taking an active part in weekly board meetings.
- Designing and implementing safe and effective network architecture for a global e-commerce business.
- Negotiated bulk discounts with SaaS licensing providers, saving $100k.
- Increased system availability for clients from 87% to 99.8% in 2008.
MSc in Information Technology and Cybersecurity
University of Texas, Houston
BSc in Information Technology
University of Texas, Houston
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (ISACA)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- IT Infrastructure Library Certification (Axelos)
- Project Management Professional
- Intermediate French
- Intermediate German
- Global IT Management
- Cost Optimization
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber Security
Alright, let’s start the transfer.
1. Configure Your IT Director Resume Format
The right configuration goes a long way. Things just have a tendency of working out better when you pay attention to detail. As an IT director, you must have a lot of experience and skills. The raw data is cool, but not everyone has the patience to parse through it all.
Here’s the config file for your resume format:
IT Director Resume Format
- Use the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Pick a common resume font like Calibri or Tahoma in 10–12pt.
- Use 1-inch resume marginsand leave space between sections.
- Follow this resume layout: Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and “Additional.”
- Try to fit on a one-page resume. Cut down on descriptions of your education.
- Send your resume as a PDF, unless asked otherwise.
Let’s send some packets out and see what comes back.
Expert Hint: If you are applying for these positions, your story might be as long as the one of the Internet itself. Focus on the most recent and most quantifiable achievements, and in case of past positions, only go into detail if you had any achievements which were really uncommon for someone in your position. If you held different positions with different responsibilities, and have a range of different technologies or certifications under your belt, the IT director resume is one of the ones where a two-page resume is acceptable.
2. Overclock Your IT Director Resume Summary
A wise man once said: “Show me two IT directors that are the same, and I will charge you with human cloning.”
Alright, nobody said that, but they should start. Everyone did something slightly different for a slightly different company, with a slightly different stack, and just a slightly different way of making system-debilitating mistakes. Luckily, it’s almost irrelevant.
Yeah. The IT director resume is not actually about you. It’s about the employer. Your resume better be a reflection of exactly what they’re looking for more than it’s a reflection of you. You don’t have to be the best candidate, only the best candidate for the job.
There aren’t usually multiple IT director positions in each company. So you better make each shot count. Write a targeted resume, and focus your resume profile on experience and achievements that most fit the reality of your new employer and position.
Write a resume summary.
IT Director Resume Summary
You are there to make stuff work like lightning. Start your resume by showing the impact you can make. And if you’re struggling with writing the perfect resume profile, write it last. Having your IT director resume ready before your eyes will let you cherry-pick the best bits.
3. Migrate Your IT Director Resume Job Description To Cloud Nine
Let’s face it, you have done it all. This is the section which devotes most space to your experience, which makes it the most important one. Again, you could be fooled and assume this is about you. It really isn’t.
Since you’ve done it all, ask yourself: “What have I done that they need me to do?”. Tailor the achievements and metrics you pick to the requirements of the job and the profile of the company you are applying to.
IT Director Resume Job Description
When listing these bullet points that outline your experience on your resume, do not think of them as descriptions of what you did. Instead, think of them as arguments to prove that you can handle whatever they are dealing with.
You can save space and neaten things up by listing your key skills separately in a resume skills section.
IT Director Skills for Resume
- Team Management & Delegation
- Managing Multiple Large-Scale Projects
- Written Communication
- Active Listening
- Designing Project Scope
- Negotiating with vendors
- Conceptual Thinking and Planning Skills
- Cost Management
- Machine Learning
- Business Analytics
- Network Administration
- Cyber Security & Defense
- Quantum Computing
- Applications Architecture
- Data Center Management
- Agile & SCRUM Methodology
- Research & Analysis
- Database Administration
- Web Development Operations
- Application Development Operations
- Mobile Application Development Operations
- Cloud Architecture
- Business Intelligence
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Architecture
- Designing Network Architecture
- Database Administration
- Software Quality Assurance
- Application Development
- Cloud Systems
- Network Administration
- UX Design
- Algorithm Design
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Craft Your Education Section Accordingly
It was a long road to get here, wasn’t it?
I don’t mean writing your IT director resume—I mean actually getting here, where you need to write one. In fact, I bet my washing machine has more processing power than the first computer you tried to bend to your will. So, unless you are a kid-phenom IT director, save space on the education section. List only: school name, degree, and graduation date.
IT Director Resume Sample—Education
Expert Hint: Some IT director positions, the more senior and advanced ones, CIO and CTOs, may require more than a bachelor’s degree. List your master’s degree first, keeping the reverse-chronological order, and read more about listing education on your resume.
5. Round Out Your IT Director Resume With Added Sections
Consider the rest only if you have adequate space:
- Tech Stack
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Having a section for your tech stack is optimal if the position you are applying to calls for a specific combination, and you haven’t covered it as part of your job description.
Compare these two IT director resume examples:
IT Director Resume—Extra Sections
Limit the length of these sections as you add more experience to your IT director resume.
Expert Hint: A PMP (Project Management Professional) certification is becoming the gold standard in IT project management, it can help with moving up to higher levels of management. PMI is the body that offers the gold standard PMP certification, at $555 for non-members.
One last thing. Write a cover letter. It will help you show your motivation and once again reiterate your achievements.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to make sure your IT director resume does not end its route on the firewall:
- Use a professional resume format—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Start from ResumeLab’s IT director resume sample.
- Quantify the impact and achievements, instead of just listing a stack and responsibilities. Think about projects completed, budgets, schedule, improvements.
- Limit the length of the education section to make space for experience.
- Write an IT director cover letter.
Did you find our information technology director resume examples helpful? Did we help you get your IT director resume right? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.