With so many conflicting pieces of advice on resume writing, we decided to use a data-driven approach to find definitive answers to job seekers’ most pressing questions.
They may handle routers, switches, desktops, and local area networks (LANs).
A resume for network engineer jobs should prove skills in automation, security, systems design, installation, and products like Cisco or Juniper.
Think about this:
$100 an hour.
Top network engineers make that.
Employers don’t just hand it out to any candidate.
You have to fit the job like a fieldbus connector.
And you do! You just have to show it in your network engineering resume.
In this guide:
- A network engineer resume sample better than most.
- How to make a great network engineer job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for network engineer jobs that zaps your downtime.
- Why you can’t just list network engineer skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Got other digital superpowers? See our guides:
- Entry-Level IT Resume
- IT Resume
- Help Desk IT Resume
- DevOps Resume
- Data Scientist Resume
- Computer Science Resume
- Computer Science Internship Resume
- Software Engineer Resume
- Entry Level Software Engineer Resume
- Cyber Security Resume
- Quality Engineer Resume
- .NET Developer Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- AWS Solutions Architect Resume
- Engineering Resume
- Engineering Internship Resume
- Mechanical Engineer Resume
- Technical Resume
- Science Research Resume
- Data Engineer Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional Resume Examples.
Network Engineer Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Smart network administrator with 6+ years experience. Seeking to use proven Cisco skills to serve clients at Sullivan IT Global. At Williams-Seile IT, designed and installed networks of 100+ Cisco devices for 150+ clients. Slashed completion times 20% with solid project management skills. Cisco CCNP certified.
- Planned, designed, and installed networks for 150+ clients with 100–200 Cisco devices per job. Ensured redundance, scalability, and security on all networks.
- Modified vendor software to automate 30% of time spent on requirements-gathering.
- Created and configured 700+ VPNs for corporate and employee use.
- Used strong project management skills to slash delivery times by 20%.
Big Lakes Medical Clinics
- Created 12 secure networks, both local and wide-area.
- Planned, designed, configured, and installed enterprise-level networks with 25% lower security risk than previous network engineer.
- Performed troubleshooting on load-balancing resulting in 30% less downtime.
Freelance Network Engineer
- Planned and configured a Windows 2010 network with 7 machines for a local graphic design firm. Completed project 15% under budget.
- Upgraded 10 employees in local financial planning firm to Windows 10.
BS Computer Science, Beloit College
- Excelled in Cisco classes.
- Pursued a passion for security study.
- Vice president, cloud computing club.
- CCNP - Cisco Systems
- VMware VCP6-DCV
Cisco Exam Scores
- DCUCI Exam - 99%
- DCII Exam - 98%
- Member, NaSPA
- President of local road cycling club.
- "Scaling Collaboration" appeared in Cisco Blogs.
- "10 Backup Best Practices" appeared in Network World.
- 2019 - ICNP, Spoke on a panel about Cisco networking.
- 2015 - Network and Distributed System Security Symposium.
Hard Skills: Cisco, cloud management, project management, security, Windows
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, perceptiveness, troubleshooting, critical thinking
Here’s how to write a network engineer resume that works:
1. Choose the Right Network Engineer Resume Format
This is gold:
So many network engineer resumes fail before they start.
They don’t pay attention to resume formatting.
Use these tips for the right protocol:
Network Engineer Resume Format
- Select the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Use one of the respected resume fonts like 10–12pt Cambria or Verdana.
- Make it readable with white space and 1-inch margins.
- Keep the length of your resume to one page.
- Write these resume sections: Heading, Objective, Job Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Always save resumes as PDFs. They migrate well to lots of different screens.
2. Write a Network Engineer Resume Objective or Summary
You have six seconds with your dream employer.
Can you convince her to hire you in that tiny time?
In fact you have to.
Most hiring teams spend just that long with each networking engineer resume.
But don’t sweat it.
Make yours right, and you’ll look like a young Chuck Robbins.
- One adjective (smart, talented)
- The words “network engineer”
- Years of experience (2+, 6+)
- How/whom you’ll help (serve clients at Sullivan IT)
- Your coolest network engineer achievements (slashed completion times 20%)
These Cisco network engineer resume examples show the design:
Network Engineer Resume Summary—Example
Pretend you’re the hiring manager. Which one of those would grab you?
It’s the numbers. It’s the details.
But what if your experience is still in packing peanuts?
In an entry-level network engineer resume, talk about small things you’ve done.
Network Engineer Objective
Bonus: Save your network engineer resume summary for last. It’s simpler to write that way.
3. Electrify Your Network Engineer Job Description and Skills Section
So many blow this.
But it’s so easy.
Your network resume can’t just say, “I’ve got experience.”
It must say, “I’ve got your experience.”
What do I mean?
Now, show times you’ve used them.
Watch these senior network engineer resume samples do it right and wrong:
The job ad wants these network engineer skills: Cisco, automation, VPNs, project management.
Network Engineer Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The hiring manager who sees the first of those network engineer resume examples will say—
“Wow. She’s a Cisco expert and she’s done a ton of VPNs. Plus, she’s got automation and project management experience.”
The numbers are the icing on the cake.
Next let’s see a job description for an entry-level resume:
The job ad wants these network engineer skills: Windows 2010 networks, upgrading, efficiency, teamwork.
Entry-Level Network Engineer Resume Job Description [Sample]
But both the same applicant.
Use these network engineer resume skills to start:
Network Engineer Resume Skills
Routing and Switching
Attention to Detail
Expert Hint: Just starting with no experience? You may need to start on the help desk or as a network admin assistant. Those look great on networking engineer resumes.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
Most network engineers need at least a bachelor’s degree.
You can’t just say you have it.
Your resume’s education section is a place to show more skills.
Watch how this network engineer resume sample does it:
Network Engineer Resume Example—Education
If the job ad wants Cisco, security, and cloud computing, you just turbocharged your resume.
5. Add “Bonus” Sections to Your Network Engineer Resume
“He’s got the right experience, but is he good to work with?”
Prove you are.
Do it with added sections in your network resume.
Try a couple of these:
- Association memberships (NaSPA)
- Certifications (CompTIA, CCNP, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Groups, clubs
- High test scores
- Awards, honors
- Additional activities
These network engineer resume examples show how:
Network Engineer Resume—Extra Sections
Nothing against ski joring. What a conversation-starter!
But that first network engineer resume example is Juniper-worthy.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. Your job search will almost automate itself if you show passion and job fit in your network engineer cover letter.
For a network engineer resume that clicks:
- Use the network engineer resume template up top. It routes all your best achievements to the front.
- Pack your resume sections with accomplishments that fit the job needs.
- Pick resume keywords from the hiring ad online.
- Add some “bonus” sections to show the network engineering force is strong in you.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for network engineer jobs? Not sure how to show network engineer on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!