A student CV template that will land you a first job interview. See an example student CV. Follow expert advice on CV format for student CV.
You’re using all of your 100Mbps bandwidth to send out system administrator CVs, and nothing is pinging back.
What kind of firewall do they have?
Perhaps, something is getting misinterpreted as a malicious threat.
A malicious threat that will play DOOM in the server room in their flip flops.
Luckily, we know which ports to hit to get your system administrator CV through to interview.
In this guide:
- A system administrator CV sample that doesn’t drop packets.
- The cfg: a CV format guide.
- Expert hints on how to bolster your system administrator job application.
Get the coffee on.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Applying to a range of positions? See our other dedicated guides:
- IT CV
- IT Project Manager CV
- Software Engineer CV
- Web Designer CV
- UX/UI CV
- Web Developer CV
- DevOps CV
- Data Scientist CV
- Engineering CV
- Technical CV
- Network Engineer CV
- Cyber Security CV
- IT Director CV
- Best CV Examples for All Jobs
Alright, let’s roll out.
System Administrator CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Michael C. Jolly
4841 Hudson Street
Nutley, NJ 07110
A cost-saving system administrator with 4+ years of experience, and a proven track record in supporting 1,500 users across 4,000 stationary and mobile devices at NeoCorp Jersey. Reduced tickets and ticket response time by 37% and 50% respectively. Improved server uptime from 97% to 99.9%. Seeking to leverage the optimization and saving skills in a new position at T&G.
- Supporting 1,500 users across 4,000 stationary Windows and mobile devices.
- By analysing ticket types and building a relevant FAQ and Help tool, reduced tickets by 37% and ticket response time by 50%.
- Improved server uptime on the company’s 27 servers from 97% to 99.9%.
- Developed a plan to use Citrix to save time on software instals on 1,500 desktops.
- Found and patched 7 security vulnerabilities in the first year.
Junior System Administrator
- Responsible for 50+ Windows and Linux machines and 25+ users in a startup environment.
- Responsible for all installations, software and hardware rollouts.
- Designed automatizations for software updates, saving 10hrs/month+.
- Grew a team of 5 to 29 IT professionals responsible for local and global systems comprising 600+ machines used by 3,000+ users, present in 27 countries with an annual turnover of £760m.
BSc in Computer Science
University of Texas, Houston
- Cost Optimization
- Cloud Computing
- Cyber Security
- Collaboration Skills
- Communiation Skills
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Red Hat: RHCSA and RHCE
- Linux Professional Institute (LPI): LPIC System Administrator
- CompTIA Server+
- VMware Certified Professional – Data Centre Virtualization (VCP-DCV)
- ServiceNow Certified System Administrator
- Intermediate French
- Fluent German
1. Reconfigure Your System Administrator CV Format
Did anything ever come straight out of the box and work right the first time? Sometimes. An expert like you can tweak it to get the maximum performance. Just like you know Cisco and Linux, we know CVs.
Use this CV format cfg:
System Administrator CV Format
- The reverse-chronological CV format will bring your most relevant experience to the top.
- Use CV fonts like Calibri or Garamond in 10–12pt.
- Set 1-inch CV margins, and use white space to guide their eyes.
- The one-page CV is probably best. If you have sizable experience and are applying to a specialist position, feel free to extend your CV length.
- Order your CV sections like this: CV Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and “Additional.”
- Send your CV as a PDF, unless instructed to otherwise.
- Use a modern CV template unless you’re applying to a traditional company.
We’re ready to boot.
2. Write a Fibre Optic System Administrator CV Summary
Your CV profile must be as smooth and fast as a fibre optic connexion. Get the right information through, right away. There is no time to waste. According to the Ladders Eye Tracking Study, employers only spend an average 7.4 seconds scanning a CV.
After you are finished writing your system admin CV, scan it through a few times, and think which pieces of information you’d like to transmit in 7.4 seconds. Then scan the job posting, and think about what they’d like to know you can do by the time 7.4 seconds are up.
Summarise your best achievements with relation to the above, back them up with numbers, and write a 1Gbps CV summary.
System Administrator Professional Summary
Don’t waste packets. Be scarce with words also, sum up the significance of your achievements, but if you need to explain them, do it in your job description.
But what if you’re writing an entry-level system administrator CV? Think internships, volunteering, and school achievements. Here’s an example of a junior system administrator CV.
Expert Hint: To make sure you do not sound generic, considering writing a targeted CV, and referencing your future employer in the CV profile.
3. Patch Your System Administrator CV Job Description To the Newest Version
The CV work experience section is where you score the points. You have their attention. Demonstrate that you are as perfect as Linux for this job. Focus on the requirements of the job, if it’s a Windows system admin CV, focus on your Windows experience, and vice versa.
Back up your performance with solid numbers to show exactly the kind of impact you can make on their business. Be the Disc Defragmenter they need.
System Administrator Job Description for a CV
You might end up with a list of 20 technologies you are used to dealing with. Feel free to relegate some of them to a separate CV skills section, which you can also bolster with some soft skills.
System Administrator Skills for CV
- Access Management
- Network Administration
- Cyber Security & Defence
- Applications Architecture
- Data Centre Management
- Agile & SCRUM Methodology
- Research & Analysis
- Database Administration
- Cloud Architecture
- Data Architecture
- Designing Network Architecture
- Database Administration
- Cloud Systems
- Network Administration
- Written Communication
- Active Listening
- Negotiating with Vendors
- Conceptual Planning
- Cost Management
- Interpersonal Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
Expert Hint: The Bureau of Labour Statistics predicts a growth of only 5% for system administrator positions. Many system admins have been in the field for a long time. If you are one of them, consider if a two-page CV could be beneficial.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Buffer Your Education Section Without Glitches
The length of the education section on your CV will depend on the size of your experience. If you have terabytes of relevant experience, you can cut down and just list the school name and major.
Windows System Admin CV Sample—Education
If you’re writing a recent university graduate CV and have some scholarships under your belt, mention them in the education section as well.
5. Defrag Your System Administrator CV With Added Sections
The amount of keywords and names in your CV can make it messy. When your certifications and technologies start stacking up, you can defrag your CV by splitting everything up into bonus CV sections. Begin with a certifications section.
Consider the rest only if you have adequate space:
- Tech Stack
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Compare these two system administrator CV examples:
Linux System Administrator CV—Extra Sections
Limit the length of these sections as you add more experience to your system administrator CV.
One last thing.
Write a cover letter. Though it might seem it’s a thing of the past, almost 50% of recruiters still expect to get one attached to your CV.
Expert Hint: The CompTIA certifications are some of the most sought after on system administrator CVs. Depending on the positions you’re applying to, Server+, Linux+ or Cloud+ specialisations might be most suitable.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Follow these protocols so that your Windows system admin CV does not get firewalled:
- Use our CV format cfg—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Quantify the impact and achievements, instead of just listing technologies and responsibilities. Think about numbers, schedules, improvements.
- Limit the length of the education section as you become more experienced.
- Write a system administrator cover letter.
Did you find our System Administrator CV examples helpful? Did we help you get your System Administrator CV right? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.