Resume words that add horsepower to any resume. This resume action words list is so well organized you can find the best resume verbs for your resume in your sleep.
Writing a programmer resume is no joke.
There are 1,800 fewer programming jobs each year. In other words?
Your iceberg’s shrinking.
Plus, you’re up against millions of other applicants from all over the world.
It’s terrifying, but—
A well-developed programming resume stands out like Ken Silverman in a mob of luddites.
In this guide you'll find:
- A programmer resume example better than most.
- How to write a computer programming resume they’ll notice.
- How to compose the perfect programmer job description for resumes.
- Why you can’t just list programming skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
The programming job market is shrinking. But other coding jobs are growing fast. See these computer programming resume guides:
- AWS Solutions Architect Resume
- Computer Engineer Resume
- Computer Science Internship Resume
- Computer Science Resume
- Data Engineer Resume
- Data Scientist Resume
- DevOps Resume
- Engineering Resume
- Entry Level Software Engineer Resume
- Entry-Level IT Resume
- iOS Developer Resume
- IT Resume
- IT Technician Resume
- Java Developer Resume
- Machine Learning Resume
- Manual Tester Resume
- Software Engineer Developer Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- Technical Writer Resume
- UI Developer Resume
- UX Designer / UI Developer Resume
- Web Designer Resume
- Web Developer Resume
Trying to put programmer on a resume? Coming into programming from another job? Try this guide: Resume for a Career Change
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples.
Programmer Resume Example You Can Copy and Use
Prolific Java programmer with 4+ years of experience and strong history of RESTful and JSP programming. Seeking to deliver efficient programming for OddPointer. At Laurel Barrie Financial, programmed an average of 10+ native Java apps per year, beating deadlines by 15%. Cut testing time by 20% and onboarded 12 programmers.
Laurel Barrie Financial, Gainesville, FL
- Developed 10+ native Java applications per year with integrated BI tools. Beat deadlines for jobs by 15% on average.
- Led team of 2 Java programmers in project to improve product testing efficiency. Slashed time to test by 20%.
- Collaborated with 10 Java programmers to exceed KPIs by 10%.
- Onboarded and trained 12 Java programmers. Retrained 3 lagging new hires through regular coaching, raising their KPIs 50%.
Junior Java Programmer
- Assisted with development of 3 native Java applications.
- Collaborated to help slash security risk by 30% through automation.
- Worked with senior Java programmers to complete jobs 15% ahead of schedule with 98% client satisfaction scores.
BS Computer Science, University of Miami
- Maintained 4.0 GPA in Java programming classes.
- VP of student Java programming group.
- Made instruction video on JSP with 65,000 views.
Freelance Project, 2014
Wrote a Java-based Android stock tracker that was downloaded 2,500+ times with a 4.7-star Google Play rating.
Donnie Permuth Plumbing A/R
Freelance Project, 2014
Developed accounts payable system for local plumbing company that saved $30,000 a year in unpaid accounts and saved 5 hours a week.
Freelance Project, 2013
Developed a Java-based media player for Android.
Soft Skills: Interpersonal skills, collaboration, problem solving, efficiency
Here’s how to write a programmer resume that works:
1. Choose a Professional Programmer Resume Format
What do you think when you see code riddled with simple errors?
Hiring teams think that when they see amateur formatting in a resume for programmers.
Use the reverse-chronological format to look professional. It serves up the most important facts about you first.
Use these resume formatting tips:
Programmer Resume Format
- Make a 1-page resume with 1-inch margins.
- Write with a respected resume font like Didot or Cambria in 10–12pt.
- Add resume sections like Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Leave negative space so you don’t overload recruiters’ eyes.
- Save it as a PDF resume. They translate well to all machines.
2. Write a Programmer Resume Objective or Summary
It’s a fact:
Employers won’t read your computer programmer resume.
They’ll give it a cursory glance. If you don’t hook their interest fast, you’re cooked.
In it, put:
- An adjective (prolific, energetic)
- The word “programmer”
- Years of experience (1+, 5+)
- Who/how you want to help (deliver efficient programming for OddPointer)
- Best programmer moments (Cut testing time by 20%...)
- A couple job skills (testing, onboarding...).
These programmer resume examples show the requirements:
Programmer Resume Summary—Example
Don’t miss this.
Both programming resume examples mention testing, building apps, and onboarding. But—
The first adds 10+, 15%, 20%, and 12. That’s proof your skills are real.
But what about a resume for programmers with no experience?
See this entry-level programmer resume example:
Entry-Level Programmer Resume Objective
Can you spot the error?
The first of those computer programmer resume examples gives details like 2,500+, 4.7-star, and $30K per year.
The second just says, “I can do it, trust me.”
Expert Hint: Programmer salaries run from $50K to $100K. You may need to kiss a lot of frogs. But the prince won’t kiss back for a weak programming resume summary or objective. The key: save your sanity and write it last.
3. Optimize Your Programmer Job Description
What skills belong in a programmer resume?
See this list:
Programmer Resume Skills
- HTML5, CSS3, XML
- Debugging, Testing
- C, C++, Perl, Visual Basic
- Pairs Programming
- Sprints, Scrum
- Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
- Critical Thinking
But be careful.
Don’t list them all. Employers see through that like ninja comments.
To write a programmer job description for resumes:
- Find resume skills in the advertisement.
- They’re your resume keywords. Put them in your programming resume.
- Show how you used them to create results.
See the first of these software programmer resume samples:
Say the job ad wants these programmer skills: Java, testing, collaboration, training.
Programmer Job Description for Resume [Sample]
There’s a clear winner.
The second of those computer programmer resume examples doesn’t mention Java, testing, collaboration, or training.
The first does. Then it adds 10+, 15%, and other features.
That works just as well with entry-level resumes.
What if the job needs these programmer skills: mobile app development, updating legacy code, collaboration, efficiency.
See this entry-level programming resume example:
Entry-Level Programmer Resume Job Description [Sample]
The first entry-level computer programmer’s resume example is the full package. The numbers add zing.
Note how it adds transferable skills from other jobs.
Expert Hint: Is programming the right job for you? Other coding jobs are growing 12% faster than average. Before you write that programming resume, consider other options.
4. Pack More Into Your Education Section
The bad news?
Everybody went to school.
But your resume education section can’t make you look like everybody.
This game programmer resume sample shows the method:
Programmer Resume Example—Education
You’re showing education while you prove your skills.
Expert Hint: Add GPA (3.8 or higher) to your resume education section only if you’re writing an entry-level resume or have less than 2 years of professional experience.
5. Add More to Your Programmer Resume
Let’s move you to a higher class.
Don’t just list your work experience and education.
Add extra features to keep them reading.
Try 1–2 of these:
- Associations (ACM, AAAI, AWC, etc.)
- Groups, clubs, meetups
- Certifications (MCSD, AWS, Oracle Apex, etc.)
- Conferences (PyCon, Microsoft Ignite, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Freelance work
- Your portfolio
- Foreign languages
- Hobbies or additional activities
This sample programmer resume does it right:
Programmer Resume—Extra Sections
Not even close.
The first of those computer programmer resume examples shows you’re switched on. It touts a few more skills not listed in your other sections.
Add a Portfolio to Your Programming Resume
One last thing—
Your portfolio (or link to your GitHub or StackOverflow page) is key. It gives employers a chance to see what you can really do.
Expert Hint: Do you need to write a cover letter? Yes. A programming resume without one may get read. But why risk it when so many hiring teams insist on them.
Haven't written your cover letter yet? See:
- Software Engineer Cover Letter Examples
- Engineering Cover Letter Examples
- Computer Science Cover Letter
- IT Cover Letter
- Web Developer Cover Letter
Here’s how to write a programmer resume:
- Use the programmer resume template up top. It’s the right framework to make them notice you.
- Don’t just list programmer skills. Java or Python might look good. But use accomplishments to prove you used them well.
- Add numbers to your programming resume like percentages or dollar figures. Numbers add weight to your skills and accomplishments.
- Include “added” resume sections with conferences or projects. Those add-ons will drive home your skills.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for programmer jobs? Not sure how to put programmer on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!