How do you write a resume? With so many conflicting opinions out there, we’ve set out to find the ultimate answer to this question.
Technically, you can write code. However, you can’t shake the feeling the veteran engineers look at you as a coffee making function with opinions. These guys started coding before Y2K, and know some old, Elvish-like coding languages. Hell, one of them even knows actual Elvish.
The job market is not logical, the rules and criteria are often a blackbox, and little bugs can completely torpedo the chances of your entry level software engineer resume. Your entry level software engineer resume is your API—this is how you communicate with your potential employers.
Make sure you don’t get 404’d.
In this guide:
- Entry level software engineer resume sample that gets routed straight to interview.
- Tips for listing your education, certifications, and skills for new grad software engineer jobs.
- Expert hints to write the best possible job description.
Here’s an entry-level software engineer resume sample that works smoothly like Python, not clunky and confusing like Scala.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Considering other paths? See our dedicated resume guides:
- Software Engineer Resume Sample
- DevOps Resume Sample
- Programmer Resume Sample
- Full Stack Developer Resume Sample
- Front-End Developer Resume Sample
- Java Developer Resume Sample
- iOS Developer Resume Sample
- Web Developer Resume Sample
- Engineering Resume Sample
- Cyber Security Resume Sample
- Entry-Level Engineering Resume Sample
- Network Administrator Resume Sample
- Technical Resume Sample
- IT Technician Resume Sample
- Manual Tester Resume Sample
- New Graduate Resume Sample
- Network Engineer Resume Sample
- Beginner Resume Sample
- Machine Learning Resume Sample
- Quality Assurance (QA) Resume Sample
- Game Design Resume Sample
- Computer Engineer Resume Sample
- AWS Solutions Architect Resume Sample
- Data Engineer Resume Sample
- Best Resume Samples for All Jobs
Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Jodi A. Bolden
4673 Coleman Avenue
Fullerton, CA 93632
Problem-solving junior software engineer with 1+ year of experience, and a track record of meaningful contributions in Java and C# to 6 large-scale commercial projects. Consistently and efficiently support a team of 12 senior engineers, mainly focusing on testing, bugs, vulnerabilities and updating. Looking to leverage gained experience in a more senior role with more demanding challenges at Freesoft.
Junior Software Engineer
Space Net, Fullerton
- Collaborated with a team of 12 software and hardware engineers to optimize the design and ensure functionality.
- Supported software testing at the operating system level and submitted 120+ reports on updates and bug fixes.
- Contributed to development of 6 commercial software projects, using Java and C#.
- Found 4 security vulnerabilities within the first five months of work.
- Participated in project usability testing every 2 weeks.
Software Engineer Intern
August 2018—December 2019
- Assisted 15 senior software engineers for digital and data analytics.
- Analyzed users’ needs and came up with design software solutions.
- Provided support, enhancement and maintenance to new and existing projects.
BS in Computer Science (2019)
University of California, Los Angeles
Relevant Coursework: ASP.NET Core 3.1, ASP.NET MVC 3-5, C#, Visual Basic, F#, C++.
- Dean’s List Student
- 2nd place in the Illinois Colleges Coding Olympics
- Bug & Vulnerability Testing
- Java, C#
- Trello, JIRA
- ASP.NET MVC 3-5
- Data Log Analysis
- Effective Communication
- Attention to Detail
Let’s start troubleshooting your own entry level software engineer resume:
1. Defrag Your Resume Format
You can have the best, most informative and valuable app in the world. Nobody will touch it if it doesn’t have an attractive and intuitive UX. Things should be where the user expects them to be.
You can write good code in Notepad. A resume for entry level software engineers requires a little more sophistication.
Follow these simple rules to make sure everything presents properly on all devices:
Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Format
- The chronological resume format will bring your most relevant experience to the top.
- Choose from the classic resume fonts like Calibri or Arial in 10–12pt.
- Set 1-inch resume margins, and use white space to guide their eyes.
- The one-page resume is sufficient. Two-page resumes work best for candidates with lots of experience.
- Order your resume sections like this: Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and “Additional.”
- Add your GitHub in the header.
- Use a simple resume template for enhanced readability. Best resume templates are also ATS-compliant.
- Send your resume as a PDF, unless it says otherwise.
Write an address on your resume only when the job offer asks you to or the employer is looking for local candidates specifically.
2. Compile an Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Objective
Imagine you had to work magic with five lines of code. Fortunately, the English language is more magical than any coding language in terms of persuading people to hire you. You only have 6 seconds of attention on your resume. That’s why you need to write a concise resume profile.
Set out your ambition in a resume objective. If you don’t have internships or work experience, pick private projects and achievements from school and college to talk about. You can also give some space to your certifications, which you should definitely look into to beef up your resume.
Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Objective—Example
Starting your resume with a career objective comes much easier once you have finished the rest of your resume and you know what you want to compile into your 6 second kernel.
Expert Hint: A good LinkedIn profile can go a very long way. If someone goes to that extent to find out more about you, make sure you reward them with something interesting, so they reward you with that job. Check out our LinkedIn career advice.
3. Write a Winning Entry Level Software Engineer Job Description and Skills Section
BLS reports that the demand for software engineers will not slow down any time soon, and will keep growing at 21% for the next decade. How can you get ahead of the competition?
First of all, you must tailor your resume for each application. Prioritize those technologies and aspects of the job that the job ad places an emphasis on. Use resume power words such as modified, streamlined, updated to show your impact. Chances are, they’ll be using ATS software on your resume that will scan it for these keywords, too. So make sure you offer them an ATS-friendly resume.
Second of all, you must quantify your impact whenever possible. Record a range of 5-10 different bullet points that show you understand the extent of the job. Check out this job description from one of our modern resume templates:
Entry Level Software Engineer Job Description
Remember: internships on a resume count as work experience. The same applies to volunteering. But if you have zero professional experience whatsoever, you can simply skip this section and move straight to listing your skills.
Entry Level Software Engineer Skills for Resume
- Critical Thinking
- Interpersonal Skills
- Decision Making
- Detail Oriented
- Problem Solving
- Self Motivated
- ASP.NET Core
- Agile methodologies
- Browser Stack
- Cyber Security
- Docker Cloud
- Visual Basic
- Web API
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Debug Your Education Section
The more education you collect on your entry level software engineer resume, the less relevant your formal education will be, and the shorter this section. After all, processing power doubled during the time you were at school.
For now, list your school, degree name, graduation date, and the GPA, if it’s good.
If this is your very first job or you’re writing a college graduate resume, compensate for your lack of experience with relevant coursework or achievements / awards sections. List the courses and grades that most fit what’s going to be required of you in the new position.
Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Sample—Education
5. Ship Your Resume With Added Sections
Any bandwidth remaining? Feel free to import some bonus resume sections. Just remember to keep it relevant to the position you’re applying to. Your certifications can play a huge role here, and that’s an avenue of development to consider if you lack personal projects.
You can also choose from these sections:
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Just see how different these two entry level software engineer resume examples are:
Entry Level Software Engineer Resume Example—Extra Sections
One final step—
You need a software engineer cover letter. About half of managers won’t read your resume without a cover letter attached.
Expert Hint: Certifications are a foolproof way to get your resume pinged back to interview. Database certifications crop up more often as requirements in job offers, according to Business News Daily. Oracle and IBM certifications are still very significant. Make sure you check out our guide to putting certifications on a resume once you have them.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter maker and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
To patch your entry level software engineer resume to the newest version:
- Format your resume properly—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Use our open-source entry level software engineer resume sample.
- Inject your job description with achievements and numbers regarding your performance.
- Add your certifications, skills and other bonus sections—if relevant.
- Write a cover letter.
Got questions on how to write a great resume for entry level software engineer jobs? Did our entry level software engineer resume sample help? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.