Wondering how to put your college experience on a resume for an internship? Read our guide and see proven internship resume examples that will show you how to do it like a pro.
A computer science internship might be a bigger deal than you realize—
Think about it.
Your career and life could look very different depending on where you end up doing an internship.
It’s a chaotic system—
A computer science career path is very sensitive to initial conditions.
So give it your all—
Write a computer science internship resume that’ll get you more interviews than ever.
In this guide:
- A computer science internship resume sample better than most out there.
- How to come up with computer science internship resume job descriptions and achievements.
- How to write a resume for an internship in computer science that stands out.
- Expert tips and examples to give you an unfair advantage in landing a computer science internship.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Studying computer science gives you so many options. Check out our other entry-level and computer science-related guides:
- .NET Developer Resume Example
- Computer Science Resume Example
- Cyber Security Resume Example
- Data Scientist Resume Example
- Entry Level Resume Example
- Entry-Level Business Analyst Resume Example
- Full Stack Developer Resume Example
- Internship Resume Example
- Investment Banking Resume Example
- IT Resume Example
- Java Developer Resume Example
- Network Engineer Resume Example
- Programmer Resume Example
- Software Engineer Resume Example
- SQL Developer Resume Example
- Technical Resume Example
- Technical Support Resume Example
- Technical Writer Resume Example
- Web Developer Resume Example
- Resume Examples for All Jobs and Professions
Computer Science Internship Resume Sample
Computer Science Graduate
Highly motivated Computer Science graduate with proven firmware design skills and 2+ years’ experience working in IT. Looking to contribute to StalkNet’s data-mining platform by leveraging up-to-date knowledge and analytical techniques. Secured bespoke sync protocols over TOR, created custom ISO to re-purpose 17 machines and counting.
IT Support Specialist
February 2018–March 2020
- Functioned as an internal helpdesk, fielding up to 20 calls per day.
- Developed in-house roster software with built-in, secure syncing over TOR.
- Created custom Linux ISO to resurrect 17 out-of-date and unsecured computers.
- Streamlined backup procedures, reducing resource load by over 50%.
MS in Computer Science, Ohio University
- Used electives to specialize in decentralized & distributed processes.
- Launched popular open-source project ‘LibreOrDeath’.
BS in Computer Science, Ohio University
- Pursued passion for blockchain-based technologies.
- Co-founded the BIOS Flashing Club.
- PenTest Pyramid, 2019
- BASH Scripting Challenge, 2017
- LibreOrDeath protocol for flashing FOSS firmware
- Contributed 39% of commits to MyCarta project
- Analytical: Minitab
- Modeling: MATLAB
- Development: Apache Kafka, Eclipse IDE, Ruby
- OS: Bash, Linux, UNIX Shell
- Data analysis
- Time management
- Hardware engineering
- Technical writing
Here’s how to write a resume for a computer science internship at least as good as the one above:
1. Choose the Right Computer Science Internship Resume Format
It’s difficult to respect messy and poorly formatted code.
Sure, it might work—
But it’s too much of a hassle to deal with, and doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
Besides, there are piles of code waiting to be read.
code = ”computer science internship resumes”
And run that again.
This is how you get your resume format right:
Computer Science Internship Resume Format
- Use the reverse-chronological resume format—it’s the done thing for computer science internship resumes.
- Choose a professional-looking resume font like Noto or Calibri in 10–12 pt.
- Use one-inch resume marginsand make good use of white space.
- Pay attention to resume length. A one-page resume is what you want, unless you’re changing careers.
- Include at least these things in your resume: Header, Objective/Summary, Work Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Use a simple resume template as it’s more readable. If you are familiar with the tool, you might even want to try LaTeX resume templates.
Expert Hint: Save or export your computer science internship resume in PDF unless you’ve been explicitly asked for something else. PDF will help protect your formatting.
2. Start with an Attention-Grabbing Computer Science Internship Resume Objective or Summary
Just like a BASH script begins with a shebang—
Your computer science internship resume needs to start with a resume profile.
Most people applying for internships aren’t exactly swimming in work experience.
If this is you, start with a career objective.
- One adjective (efficient, motivated, diligent)
- Job title (student, graduate)
- Years of experience (2+, 3+, if any at all in another field)
- How you’ll be able to help (find out what they need)
- Your most relevant 2–3 achievements (draw upon your academic and other work)
These computer science internship resume examples will give you a better idea:
Computer Science Internship Resume Example—Objective
The first one ticks all the boxes—
It’s concrete and focused on what the candidate can do for the employer.
The second one—not so much.
Got some more or less relevant work experience?
The go with a career summary instead.
It’ll let you draw on your experience:
Computer Science Internship Resume Example—Summary
That’s a big difference.
Once again, the first one is all about what the candidate can do for the employer—
Not the other way around, like in the second resume summary.
It also quantifies everything possible.
Expert Hint: Write your qualifications summary last. You’ll do a much better job once you’ve got your job descriptions, skills, and education sections ready.
3. Write Winning Work Experience and Skills Sections for Your Computer Science Internship Resume
Your resume is there to get you an interview.
You get an interview by showing that you’re the best candidate for the internship.
You do that by describing past achievements in your resume that point to future potential.
How to write a job description for a computer science internship resume:
- Patiently go back over the job ad or internship announcement.
- Take note of the skills and duties it hints at or outright mentions.
- Think of times you’ve used those skills to impress employers or professors.
- Write bullet points that describe those achievements, quantifying everything.
The following computer science internship resume examples illustrate this:
Computer Science Internship Resume—Sample Job Descriptions
Who would you hire?
The answer’s pretty obvious and the why should also be clear by now:
A good resume work experience section is filled with achievements that are concrete and backed up with numbers.
Start each achievement with a resume power word—
And lean on something like an APR (Action-Problem-Result) formula if you get stuck.
Expert Hint: If you’re writing a resume with no professional experience at all, you can skip the work experience section and go straight to describing your education.
One more thing—
You’ll also need a resume skills section.
Don’t just copy-paste a bunch of skills you found online.
Let the job ad and your actual abilities be your guides.
The lists below are just jumping-off points.
Skills for a Computer Science Internship Resume
- Computer and technology knowledge
- Data analysis
- Discrete mathematics
- Information systems management
- Linear algebra
- Programming languages
- Software development
- Technical writing
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Training and teaching
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Make Sure Your Education Section is Pulling Its Weight
It’s not the only way into computer science—
But people who get into the field without formal education are as rare as hen’s teeth.
The basics are simple:
Degree, school, years attended.
Add bullet points that point to key skills.
Here’s an example:
Computer Science Internship Resume Example—Education Section
Clean and simple, but—
Constantly hammering home the point:
This is the intern you’re looking for.
Short on computer science work experience?
5. Uncomment Some Additional Sections in Your Computer Science Internship Resume
More is not always more—
At least not more for its own sake.
But the core resume sections of experience, education, and skills aren’t going to cut it for an internship resume.
Add one or two additional sections:
- Volunteer work
- Non-academic courses
- Languages other than English
- Professional references
Here’s a computer science example:
Computer Science Internship Resume—Sample Extra Sections
Really, anything and everything is fair game—
As long as it’s directly relevant to the internship at hand.
You need a computer science internship cover letter.
Unless you’ve been explicitly asked not to, you risk having your resume ignored if you don’t write a cover letter.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a computer science internship resume that pulls in interviews:
- Use the computer science internship resume template given above. It incorporates proven elements and uses evidence-based approaches.
- Put computer science internship resume achievementsin your summary, work history (if any), and education sections to make the right impression.
- Pick the right computer science internship skills. The job ad will be your best guide here.
- Write a computer science internship cover letter. Make it a showcase of the value you can bring to the company, even as an intern.
Any lingering doubts when it comes to writing a resume for an internship in computer science? Drop any questions, comments, and feedback down below and we’ll get back to you.