Make an irresistible first impression on recruiters with an outstanding resume summary. Here’s how.
Have I got your attention?
You know those Java developer jobs are out there.
You also know the “average” applicants don’t get them.
You’ve got what it takes. But how do you show that on a single sheet of paper?
In this guide:
- A Java developer resume sample better than most.
- How to make the right Java developer job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for Java developer jobs that shines.
- Why you can’t just list Java developer skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder for free. Start by choosing a resume template.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you sure “Java developer” is your lane? See our guides:
- DevOps Resume
- Computer Science Resume
- Computer Science Internship Resume
- Software Engineer Resume
- Entry Level Software Engineer Resume
- Data Scientist Resume
- Web Developer Resume
- iOS Developer Resume
- .NET Developer Resume
- UX Designer / UI Developer Resume
- AWS Solutions Architect Resume
- Full Stack Developer Resume
- Web Designer Resume
- Freelance Resume
- Programmer Resume
- Android Developer Resume
- Cyber Security Resume
- Manual Tester Resume
- Technical Support Resume
- Technical Writer Resume
- Sql Developer Resume
- Front End Developer Resume
- Entry-Level IT Resume Sample
- IT Resume Sample
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Samples.
Java Developer Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Passionate Java developer with 5+ years of experience and proven skills in JSP and leadership. Seeking to provide efficient Java coding for YouTube. At Bytecruncher, completed jobs 12% ahead of schedule, contributing materially to 2018 BOSSIE award win. My how-to video on serverless computing racked up 73,000 YouTube views.
- Used Java to design and build scalable technical products, integrating BI tools. Exceeded job-completion deadlines by 12% on average.
- Developed JSP web pages integrating HTML, Java, and XML elements. Analyzed and adjusted for user habits to cut attrition 22%.
- Led teams of 2–3 Java developers in 2 projects to improve testing and troubleshooting. Resulted in 15% reduction in hours spent.
- Collaborated closely with team of 15 programmers and with one Java developer in pair programming arrangement, exceeding KPIs by 20%.
- Used critical thinking skills to constantly improve products and processes, contributing to 2018 BOSSIE award win for a client site.
Junior Java Developer
- Designed architecture for new software systems. Contributed to automation drive that slashed security risk by 55%.
- Collaborated with senior Java developers and graphic designers to develop web architecture, completing work 10% ahead of schedule.
- Worked on test-driven development program that slashed production bugs by 42%, raising code reliability by 25%.
Freelance Java Developer
- Built a working calorie-burn counter using Java, a Raspberry Pi, a strain gauge, and an IMU, with low-power bluetooth connectivity.
- Wrote a Hacker News reader for Android with Android Studio that got 2,200+ downloads and a 4.5 star rating in Google Play.
- Designed and built a working Android extensible media player.
- Wrote a billing management system for a local HVAC company that saved $5,000 a year in lost time and unpaid accounts.
BS Computer Science, Denison University
- Pursued a passion for Java programming.
- President, student Java development club.
- Made YouTube video on serverless computing with 73,000 views.
- My article, "How AI Will Fix Your Car" Was linked to by The Verge.
Hard Skills: Java, JSP, HTML5, CSS, XML, JSON, RESTful
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, leadership, collaboration, critical thinking
Now here’s how to write a Java developer resume:
1. Use the Right Java Developer Resume Format
Here’s the deal:
Poor resume format looks like sloppy code.
It may be technically correct, but it’s amateurish.
Use these formatting tips:
Java Developer Resume Format
- Choose the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Use a trusted resume font like 10–12pt Didot or Arial.
- Don’t forget the white space, and add 1-inch margins.
- Use a 1-page resume length for Java developer jobs.
- Use these resume sections: Header, Objective, Work Experience, Education, Skills, and “other.
Expert Hint: Save junior and senior Java developer resumes as PDF files. PDF resumes don’t break no matter what device they’re viewed on.
2. Write a Java Developer Resume Objective or Summary
Hiring teams slog through hundreds of Java developer resumes.
They won’t read yours.
- An adjective (efficient, passionate)
- The words “Java developer”
- Years of experience (2+, 5+)
- How & where you’ll help (provide efficient Java coding for YouTube)
- Your best Java developer achievement (contributed to 2018 BOSSIE award win)
These full stack Java developer resume examples crack the code:
Java Developer Resume Summary—Example
Take another look.
The first of those resume samples removes the guesswork. Employers love that.
But what if your experience is too hello-world?
In a junior Java developer resume objective, use “wins” from your portfolio:
Java Developer Resume Objective—Example
Expert Hint: Write your Java developer assistant resume summary or objective last. That’ll take the pressure off to find your top few achievements.
3. Perfect Your Java Developer Job Description and Skills Section
Benefits. Flex time.
The perfect resume for Java developers can get those goodies for you.
You need to match the job like an SSL handshake.
Start with a list of the Java developer roles and responsibilities from the job ad.
Then it’s head-scratching time. When have you done those things so well Nick Craver would be impressed?
Let’s say the job ad wants these Java developer skills: (1) JSP (2) leadership (3) collaboration (4) critical thinking.
These senior Java developer resume examples show the syntax:
Java Developer Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The first of those Sr java developer resume examples wins with numbers and accomplishments.
But what about a job description for an entry-level resume?
Job ad wants these Java developer skills: (1) wearables programming (2) Android Studio (3) JSP.
Entry-Level Java Developer Resume Job Description [Sample]
That first example lists skills from personal Java projects.
But be warned—
Show both hard and soft skills in your Java developer resume.
Start with the resume skills for Java developer jobs below.
Java Developer Skills for a Resume
JSP, RESTful, HTML, CSS
JVM and Memory Management
Here you can find more technical skills.
Expert Tip: Build in plenty of resume keywords when you write a Java developer resume. The best ones come straight from the company’s job ad.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Turn Basic Education to a Reason to Hire You
Most applicants waste the education section of their resumes.
In a Java developer resume, you need more than just a degree.
Look at this:
Java Developer Education—Example
That education section shows schooling. But it also proves key Java skills.
Expert Hint: The educational Java achievements in your resume should fit the job ad. If the ad says nothing about serverless computing, drop that bullet point.
5. Don’t Forget the Portfolio in Your Java Developer Resume
Too many candidates don’t add a portfolio.
The good news?
That means you can beat them.
Add a portfolio link to your contact info.
But you can put it in its own section to get attention.
Here are some other “other” section ideas for Java developer resumes:
- Certifications (like Oracle’s Java SE 8)
- Memberships (like AJD or ASP)
- Conferences and hackathons
- Volunteering and freelancing
- Awards or honors
- Clubs, groups
- Foreign languages
- Publications and appearances
These Java developer resume examples show how:
Java Developer Resume—Extra Sections
Which is better?
That first Java developer resume example could be John Resig.
Expert Hint: Learn how to write a cover letter for java developers. Your resume for Java developer jobs will get more attention. Show your understanding of the roles and responsibilities they need to fill.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a Java developer resume that connects:
- Use the Java developer resume template up top. It CONCAT()s your most hirable moments in one place.
- List Java developer achievements in your resume objective, work experience, education, and “other” sections.
- Add Java developer skills and keywords taken from the company’s job ad.
- Include a Java developer cover letter. You can use our Software Engineer Cover Letter Sample as a good starting point. Use it to show you fit their needs.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for Java developer jobs? Not sure how to show Java developer on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!