Networking while still in college will help you secure your professional career. Ace it with pro tips from educators, career advisors, college counsellors, and former students.
Abstract: A copywriter creates creative and engaging content to sell products and / or attract and engage customers to drive sales and improve profitability. Copywriters should know how to create various user-friendly content formats, both digital and print-based. A copywriter resume showcases refined writing and research skills, as well as marketing expertise.
You’re using all of your creative muscles to send out those resumes, but the bounce rate is still 100%.
What’s going on?
The truth is, your resume might be missing a few important keywords and functionalities to get those readers invested in your brand.
But fear not, this guide will help you customize your own landing page to actually land more interviews.
In this article:
- A copywriter resume sample that delivers.
- Tips to make your copywriter resume format look professional.
- How to write a compelling resume summary or career objective statement.
- Right and wrong examples to help you up your chances of landing a copywriter job.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you also applying for different jobs? See our dedicated resume guides:
- Technical Writer Resume
- Marketing Resume
- Digital Marketing Resume
- Translator Resume
- Brand Ambassador Resume
- Administrative Assistant
- Social Media Resume
- Marketing Manager Resume
- Public Relations Resume
- Social Media Manager Resume
- Creative Director Resume
- Journalist Resume
- English Teacher Resume
- Project Coordinator Resume
- Human Resources Resume
First, let’s take a look at a great copywriter resume sample:
Copywriter Resume Sample
Highly effective bilingual (German and English) copywriting professional with over 7 years of experience creating content for the web: newsletters, social posts, blog posts, press releases, ad campaigns, case studies. Wrote 8–10 articles (1,000–3,000 words) per week. Boosted client’s followers by 53%. Created and planned advertising campaigns which generated over $150K in sales.
Content Writing Specialist
Grand Forks, ND
May 2017–June 2021
- Implemented an e-mail marketing campaign for a client which resulted in a $25K increase in revenue in 6 months.
- Increased email open rate and landing page traffic by 10% in under 3 months.
- Wrote copy and assisted with formatting for company website re-launch. Increased web traffic by 20%.
- Oversaw 15 client websites and social media pages.
Grand Forks, ND
February 2013–May 2017
- Managed the content of one of the biggest client’s websites, which consisted of 8,000 unique pages.
- Supported SEO team by composing and optimizing website content, social media posts, and PPC landing pages. Proofed content before pages went live. Doubled website traffic from average 3,000 visitors to 6,500.
- Managed 5 social media brand pages, combing over 700,000 followers and 9 million post engagements.
- Ensured that all outgoing digital marketing collateral was thoroughly proofread for grammatical accuracy and adherence to editorial style.
BA in German Language & Literature
University of North Dakota
- Polished writing skills
- Basic knowledge of SEO
- UX awareness
- Superb research skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt
- Time management
- American Writers & Artists Inc. Certification
So, here’s how to start on the perfect resume:
1. Use the Correct Copywriter Resume Format
Not having a meticulous eye for tiny formatting details can significantly decrease your chances of getting an interview.
After all, a copywriter is not only in the grammar police, but also a guardian of proper formatting. Because good copy reads and looks like a million bucks.
Make sure your resume demonstrates your strong attention to detail.
These resume formatting guidelines will help:
Freelance Copywriter Resume Format
- Choose a professional resume font that’s clean and legible.
- Use this order of resume sections: Heading, Summary / Objective, Work History, Education, Skills, Other Information.
- When listing your entries in the experience and education sections, remember to use the reverse chronological resume order.
- Set 1 inch resume margins on all sides of the document.
- Make sure your resume is no more than 1 page long. A two-page resume is acceptable if you have more than 15 years of experience in the field.
- Use a simple resume template that’s ATS- friendly.
Not at all complicated, right?
One last thing—save your resume as a PDF file to protect the formatting.
Now, let’s move on to the real-deal resume writing tips.
2. Start With a Captivating Resume Summary or Objective
Engage your reader with an ultimate hook that will leave them hungry for more.
With a compact synopsis of your skills, experience and qualifications—a resume professional profile.
Your resume’s summary section is an introduction that says who you are and what you have to offer. Briefly touch on your expertise to make sure you get noticed right away.
Copywriter Resume Examples: Profile Summary
Notice where your eyes immediately go?
Numbers make your resume summary pop, so make sure to include them when talking about your career achievements.
Also, be as specific as possible when explaining your skills and credentials. You want to include as much info as you can to give the recruiter a sense of who you are.
But what if you don’t have any experience?
Write a resume objective statement that will explain your professional goals and intentions for applying to a job.
Entry-Level Copywriter Resume: Objective
See how the first candidate used measured accomplishments to show how their internship experience makes them a great candidate for the job?
That’s the way to go.
Expert Hint: Even though your profile summary is the intro to your resume, write it last. After you’re done crafting all your other sections, it will be easier to pick out the most important pieces of information to include in your summary or objective.
3. Write a Great Copywriter Job Description and Skills Sections
Your experience section is your body copy. The absolute gist of your application.
So really put your heart into it.
To make this part of your resume perfect:
- Have the copywriter job posting in front of you.
- Identify the most important resume keywords, which will serve as a guide when crafting your experience and skills sections.
- Include your job title, dates of employment, and company name.
- List your entries in the reverse chronological order.
- Include measurable achievements that prove your effectiveness.
Here are two copywriter job description examples:
Creative Copywriter Resume Samples
See how numbers make the work history section SO much better?
Actually, studies have shown that the lack of quantifiable results accounts for 34% of resume mistakes which lead to rejection.
Numbers are your gate to success.
Your next step is to use the job advertisement to find the skills and requirements that the employer is looking for in the perfect candidate.
Here’s a list of skills that you may want to put on your resume:
Resume For Copywriter: Skills
- Strong grammar, spelling and punctuation skills
- Communication skills
- Creative thinking
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Project management
- Social media marketing
- Digital marketing
- Google Analytics
- Google Docs
- MS Office
There are many niches in which a copywriter can specialize in, so in order to make your resume targeted, always refer to the job posting to search for the exact skills an employer is looking for.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Include a Sterling Education Section
Experience is not your only secret weapon when it comes to impressing the recruiter.
You can also use your education to show how you meet the requirements for the selected position.
And the good news is that the education section is the easiest part of writing a resume.
Just remember to include these bits:
- Degree name
- School name and location
- Year of graduation
And that’s the minimum. If you want to spice it up even more, you can add:
- GPA (if above 3.7)
- Awards, achievements and honors
- Relevant coursework
So, let’s take a look at a resume education section example:
Junior Copywriter Resume Sample
Extra Hint: According to a study conducted by the Harvard Business School in 2017, between 2007 and 2010, job listings mentioning a bachelor’s degree requirement as a condition of employment rose by 10%. Including an education section maximizes your chances of getting hired by showing your value and expertise.
5. Expand Your Opportunities by Showing off Some Extra Information About Yourself
Increase your conversion rates by throwing some extra copy into your resume.
By this, we mean some additional sections that show off your extra abilities, like foreign languages or certifications.
These will hit the target market like a bullseye.
But don’t just write about anything.
While cooking and knitting are both great activities, they’re not the kind of hobby to put on a resume.
The interests you share have to be relevant and showcase your passion for the job.
Here’s an example:
Senior Copywriter Resume Sample
Extra Hint: The Blackford Centre Copywriting Course and American Writers and Artists Institute Certificate are both great certification programs that you might want to explore that will help set you apart as a professional copywriter.
Now your resume is ready to go live! With copy like this, you will be sure to get an interview.
Don’t forget to include a copywriter cover letter to accompany your resume.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
When writing your copywriter resume:
- Follow the proper copywriter resume format to make sure your application is readable and easy to navigate.
- Write a compelling resume summary or objective statement.
- Inject your copywriter job description with achievements and numbers that prove your performance.
- Add certifications, skills and other bonus sections to stand out.
- Include a copywriter cover letter.