You can stop searching—this is the ultimate collection of best resume tips that can help you succeed in 2023. These resume writing tips will help to impress hiring managers.
CEOs have it easy. They get golden parachutes and relax while everyone else works hard.
The CEO works harder than anyone, with 10x the stress. Everything is riding on your shoulders.
The BoD knows that. If your CEO resume doesn’t prove you’re Satya Nadella-level, they’ll see you as a liability.
You’ve got this.
To write a resume for CEOs that works, learn their needs, then show you can provide them. You’ve done that before.
In this guide:
- A CEO resume sample better than most.
- How to write a resume for CEO positions that earns their trust.
- How to craft the perfect CEO job description for resumes.
- Why you can’t just list CEO skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for a different kind of executive resume? See our guides:
- Executive Resume
- Manager Resume
- Entrepreneur Resume
- Operations Manager Resume
- Business Manager Resume
- General Manager Resume
- Business Administration Resume
- Chief Financial Officer / CFO Resume
- Chief Operations Officer / COO Resume
- Business Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Product Manager Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples.
CEO Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Driven CEO with 5+ years of executive experience and 8 years of professional experience. Seeking to raise earnings 40% at Quickbeam Tech. At AZQL Tech Global, raised revenue from $18M to $50M through organizational restructuring. A dynamic thought leader who drives revenue growth through employee engagement.
AZQL Tech Global
- Delivered executive leadership for global tech firm with $50M in revenue, 7 business offices, and 500+ employees.
- Reorganized corporate structure to create leaner, more market-driven business, leading to revenue growth from $18M to $50M in 5 years.
- Leveraged employee leadership, idea collection, and policy deployment strategies to grow repeat business by 73%.
- Developed relationships with 20+ new partners in Asia and Europe.
- Opened 6 new product lines worth $15M using redundant employees.
- Developed improved sales strategy resulting in $11.2M in new business and 70+ new clients in 3 years.
- Restructured 4 global sales departments to follow Agile work methodology, increasing productivity by 35%.
MBA, Northeastern University
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society.
BS Business Administration, Fairfield University
- Published 50+ articles in Forbes.
- Member, NACEO
Board member, Rhode Island Hospital. Facilitated a fundraising and grant money increase from $5M to $12M per year.
2019 — IFMA World Workplace — Keynote Speaker
2017 — CIO Executive Leadership Summit
Hard Skills: Business development, partnership development, organizational restructuring, business strategy
Soft Skills: Leadership, vision, EQ, communication, critical thinking
Here’s how to write a CEO resume that blows their hair back:
1. Select the Perfect CEO Resume Format
Your resume format is a first impression.
Start with the reverse-chronological resume layout. It puts the best face on your resume for CEO jobs. List your current position first and remember about such details as:
CEO Resume Format
- Choose a 2–4 page resume length. The best CEO resumes are like a trophy case of corporate accomplishments. Yours can’t be skimpy.
- Pick a professional resume font like 10–12pt Calibri or Helvetica.
- Set one inch margins.
- Make it readable by adding white space.
- Create resume sections like Heading, Summary, History, Education, and Skills.
- Send an ATS-friendly PDF resume to look sharp across all devices.
Expert Hint: CEOs spend 56% of their time in meetings. That goes double for the BoD. Respect their time with a clean resume format that conveys your key points fast.
2. Write a Powerful CEO Resume Summary
Sell them in the first five minutes.
That’s a quick elevator speech of your best features at the top of your CEO resume.
To get attention, don’t just say, “I’m a strong leader with a track record of blah blah blah.”
To knock their cashmere socks off, show evidence of your best wins.
- An adjective (resourceful, engaging)
- Job title (CEO)
- Years of experience (5+, 9)
- How and who you’ll help (raise earnings 40% at Quickbeam Tech)
- Best CEO moments (raised revenue from $18M to $50M...)
- Some tempting skills (organizational restructuring, employee engagement...)
Write it last to ease the strain.
These startup CEO resume examples drive success:
Resume CEO Summary—Example
Both CEO resume samples sound good.
But the first one seals the value proposition with that $18M to $50M achievement.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
3. Strengthen Your CEO Job Description and Skills
What skills belong in a CEO resume?
Here’s a list:
CEO Resume Skills
Media and Public Relations
Don’t list all those skills. The board will see through that like a bad IPO.
To write a CEO job description for resumes:
- Learn the perfect resume skills by interviewing some insiders.
- Add them as keywords to your resume sections.
- Show you turned them into bottom-line results.
Follow these CEO resume samples:
Let’s say you’re applying to a company with $40M+ in revenue. It wants to grow revenue and gain repeat business.
It needs skills in executive leadership, organizational restructuring, policy deployment, new partner relationships, and new product lines.
CEO Job Description for Resume [Sample]
That’s black and white.
The first of those CEO resume examples shows the skills and results they want.
Expert Hint: In an IBM study, CEOs said creativity is the most important job skill. But your resume for CEO jobs can’t just say, “creative.” It has to show bottom-dollar results.
4. Draw Attention with Your Education Section
A resume for CEO positions needs an education section.
But sweeten the deal by adding extra.
This founder and CEO resume sample shows how:
CEO Resume Example—Education
That’s Kevin Sneader-level.
That CEO resume example shows you were unstoppable even in college.
Expert Hint: A third of CEOs have engineering degrees. Only 11% have MBAs. Don’t feel self-conscious if your education wasn’t business-heavy.
5. Make Your CEO Resume Stand Out with “Other” Sections
Whatever it takes.
You need to show you’ll do that for the company.
Prove you’re on the clock even when you’re out-of-pocket.
With a couple “other” sections:
- Associations (NACEO, etc.)
- Conferences, especially where you spoke
- Publications or appearances
- Additional activities
- Sports activities
This sample CEO resume handles it:
CEO Resume—Extra Sections
That’s Bill McDermott-level.
Those hospital CEO resume examples show a competent and confident professional.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter they’ll remember. To do that, show the intersection of your CEO accomplishments and the company’s finest attributes.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a CEO resume that convinces:
- Use the CEO resume template up top. It puts your best executive achievements on the table.
- Don’t just list CEO skills. Organizational restructuring and business strategy are important. But to drop jaws, show results.
- Don’t be cowed by a non-MBA degree. Most CEOs don’t have MBAs.
- Add resume sections that enhance your value. Volunteering or conferences show passion beyond your salary.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for CEO positions? Not sure how to put CEO on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.