A student CV template that will land you a first job interview. See an example student CV. Follow expert advice on CV format for student CV.
“We’d love to hire you. But—”
You’ve got no relevant experience.
How can you ever get a job?
You’ve got life experience.
Trust us. You’ve done things that make you valuable. You’re not a toddler.
You just need to put those details in the right CV format.
In this guide:
- A first time CV with no experience sample better than most.
- What to put in a CV with no work experience so it’s not blank.
- How to make a CV with no job experience that gets phone calls.
- Why you can’t just list skills in a no-experience CV (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Want some other first time CV with no experience samples? See our guides:
- CV for University Application
- Student CV
- Nursing Student CV
- Internship CV
- Entry-Level CV
- Teen CV
- High School Graduate CV
- High School CV
- University Student CV
- Recent University Graduate CV
- Computer Science (CS) Student CV
- CV for Grad School Application
- Scholarship CV
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV examples for over 200 jobs.
CV with no Experience Sample You Can Copy and Use
Energetic programmer skilled in Java and web app design. Seeking to provide efficient coding for Alcoa. Created several apps in Java and C, including a chess game and API-linked to-do list that syncs with Google Sheets. Took 2nd place price in Codewars Novice Division contest in 2018.
BS Computer Science, Austin University
Game Development & Design
- Wrote 3 game applications with Unreal gaming engine.
- Modelled 20+ 3D objects.
- Received Ladd Scholarship for mobile game app design study.
- My article in school paper on multiplayers was linked to by Engadget.
Data Science and Analytics
- Commended by two professors for data analytics skills.
- Created mock medical health care system app.
- Used polling data to create election poll accurate within +/- 5%.
- Excelled in cloud computing classes, maintaining 4.0 GPA.
- Created and maintained 3 virtual machines.
- Pursued a passion for cloud security coursework.
- Created neural networks project that was written up in school paper.
- Wrote flower classifying app that won school AI fair 3rd prize.
- Created own chess game in Java. Added functionality to store multiple user profiles and games in online MySQL database.
- Developed to-do list synced with Evernote and Google Sheets via API. Included persistent notifications for urgent tasks.
- Worked as part of a team of 3 programmers to develop a RESTful API that interfaced with IMdB to pull movie data.
- Wrote C code for a simulation of a football game using existing game concepts. Wrote algorithms for passing and randomising.
2nd Place, Codewars Novice Division 2018
- Attended ByteHacks Hackathon 2018.
- Founded the HomeStarSleeper Coding Group with 21 members.
- Walk dogs at the Cadillac County Animal Shelter 1x per month.
- Member of a weekly road cycling club.
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) Java
- Zend Certified PHP Engineer
Hard Skills: Java, web app design, PHP, Python, debugging, hardware installation
Soft Skills: teamwork, communication, critical thinking, problem solving
Now here’s how to make a CV with no experience:
1. Use the Right Format in a CV With no Experience
You want the job. But—
So do hundreds of others.
And they have lots of experience.
How can a CV with no work experience compete?
Then use these tips:
CV with no Experience Format
- Pick visually appealing CV template or a free Google Docs CV template.
- Use one great CV font like 10–12pt Garamond or Cambria.
- Include some white space. Set your margins at one inch.
- Make the length of your CV with no experience one page.
- Create these CV sections: Heading, Objective, Education, Skills, and a few added sections.
Expert Hint: Save your no-experience CV as a PDF. PDF CVs work no matter what screen hiring teams view them on, and ATS readers can read them.
2. Write an Eye-Catching CV Objective
“She’s got no experience... but still!”
You’ve got little time to make a first impression.
Most hiring teams glance at CVs. You’ll get about six seconds before trash-time.
But there’s hope.
A CV with no work experience for university students or high school can still wow them. It starts with a solid CV objective.
- One adjective (energetic, hard-working)
- The job title (nanny, programmer, cook, retail associate)
- How/whom you’ll help (provide efficient coding for Alcoa)
- Best relevant accomplishment (2nd place price in Codewars contest)
These CV with no experience examples will start you off:
Summary for a CV with no Experience
See the difference?
Even a high school CV with no work experience can soar. If you start it with a bang.
It’s those details. I’ll show more in the next section.
Expert Hint: Write the summary for your CV with no experience last. If you write it first, you’ll spend too much time head-scratching and won’t think of good achievements.
3. Education Is Key in a CV with no Experience
You don’t have work history. But—
You’ve done things to impress them.
To write a great CV with no work experience, dig into the online job posting. It’s stuffed with CV keywords.
Does that sound complicated?
They’re just skills, duties, and responsibilities.
These first time CV with no experience samples show how:
Let’s say the job ad wants skills in game development, data science, cloud computing, and machine learning.
Teaching Assistant Education—Example
That first CV with no experience sample has everything.
Didn’t do that many projects?
You can also list sports teams, school groups, clubs, projects, and other academic pursuits. Use each one to show relevant skills.
Expert Hint: Just graduated high school? A high school CV with no work experience can even show classes you were passionate about, or teacher kudos.
4. Put Life in a CV with no Experience
Your CV with no work experience is blank!
They’ll never hire you.
That’s not true. You’ve done more than you think.
Think about the job needs. Is it a nanny job? Programming? Cooking? Waiting tables? What about retail?
Each of those needs certain skills.
For example, say you want to be a nanny. Have you looked after your little brother/sister? Put that in your no-experience CV.
Or maybe you want to be a line cook? Have you cooked for family or friends? Yep—that warrants mention on a CV.
These CV with no experience examples show how:
Job ad wants these skills: (1) Java (2) MySQL (3) API (4) collaboration (5) writing algorithms.
How to Write a CV with No Experience
In a nanny CV with no experience, call that section, “Personal Nanny Experience.”
Same with a no experience CV for cooking or retail. Call it “Personal Cooking Experience” or “Personal Customer Service Experience.”
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
5. Prove Your Skills in a no Experience CV
This is key:
Don’t just list your skills.
Anyone can write a list.
You have to prove them.
Let’s say you want to prove leadership and problem-solving skills.
So—find a life event where you used those skills.
Then put them in bullet points like this:
You can use any life event, club, group, or effort to prove your skills.
You’ll need both soft and hard skills on your CV with no work experience for university students or high school students.
“Soft skills” are transferable skills that work in any job.
Those are qualities like interpersonal skills, communication, efficiency, and work ethic.
“Hard skills” are technical skills like MS Office or cloud computing.
This list of top CV skills can get you started:
CV With no Experience Skills
6. Add Extras to Your CV with no Experience
Still coming up short?
Your CV with no work experience must fill the page—but not with “filler!”
With extras that show related skills.
You can add CV sections for:
- Classes or certifications (like First Aid or ServSafe Food Handler)
- Portfolio website (You must put this in a CV with no experience for computer science pros)
- Additional activities
- Honours & awards
- Foreign languages
- Clubs & groups (BSA, computing clubs)
- Volunteering experience
You don’t need all of those.
Just the ones that show off your finest hours!
These no experience CV examples get it going:
CV With no Experience—Extra Sections
Hint: I’d hire #1.
That first no experience CV sample pumps up your skills.
It also shows your passion.
Are you getting the picture? It’s not about your work history.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. The hiring manager will spend more time reading your CV with no work experience. Tip: don’t brag. Talk most about the job.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a CV with no experience:
- Use the no experience CV template up top. It stops the “can’t get a job without experience” cycle.
- Focus on life accomplishments. Put them in your objective, education, and “extra” sections.
- Zero in on skills they need. They’re your best CV keywords, and they’re in the online job ad.
- Include a cover letter. Talk about the job a lot. Give evidence you’re a good fit despite lack of experience.
Got questions on how to write a CV with no work experience for university students? Writing a teen no experience CV and don’t know where to start? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!