How do you write a resume? With so many conflicting opinions out there, we’ve set out to find the ultimate answer to this question.
The secret? Most bookkeeper resumes bore employers to tears.
Fund yours with the right skills in the right way and you’ll stand out like a million-dollar surplus.
In this guide:
- A bookkeeper resume sample better than most.
- How to make a tight bookkeeper job description for a resume.
- How to write a bookkeeping resume that generates interest.
- Why you can’t just list bookkeeper skills on a resume (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder for free. Start by choosing a resume template.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Do you have other math and money skills? See our guides:
- Accounting Resume
- Accounting Manager Resume
- Banking Resume
- Entry Level Accounting Resume
- Accounts Payable Specialist Resume
- Bank Teller Resume
- Senior Accountant Resume
- Business Analyst Resume
- Loan Officer Resume
- Supply Chain Manager Resume
- Tax Accountant Resume
- Data Analyst Resume
- Entry-Level Business Analyst Resume
- Entry-Level Financial Analyst Resume
- Financial Advisor Resume
- Financial Analyst Resume
- Investment Banker Resume
- Accounts Receivable Resume
- Office Clerk Resume
- Property Manager Resume
- Social Work Resume
- Accounting Assistant Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume examples.
Bookkeeper Resume Sample
Licensed Bookkeeper, NACPB
NACPB Certified Bookkeeper with 6 years of experience. Seeking to save time and money at Breaz Buying Service. At Steel Canyon Software, slashed AR from $350,000 to $10K in 8 months through automation. Used QuickBooks to optimize AP. Cut payroll processing time by 25%. Skilled in QuickBooks, AR/AP, and payroll accounting.
- Certified Bookkeeper, NACPB
- QuickBooks Certification, Intuit
Steel Canyon Software, Inc.
- Drove accounts receivable from $350,000+ to under $10,000 with a system of electronic payments and more payment terms.
- Used QuickBooks to track revenues of $3.5 million annually. Audited 1,500+ business customer accounts annually.
- Optimized accounts payable, lowering costs 20% by automating on-time payments and setting up an online supplier portal.
- Created MS Excel pivot tables that saved 20 accounting hours per quarter. Cut report-generation time by 25% over previous years.
- Slashed payroll processing time 25% by centralizing records, digitizing data, and working with IT to integrate HR and payroll.
- Assisted with payroll processing. Switched payroll system to QuickBooks, saving 15 bookkeeper hours per month.
- Tracked longest past-due accounts. Collaborated with bookkeeper and customers to negotiate payments that recouped $50,000 yearly.
- Performed bank reconciliations and month-end close entries.
- Cut supply costs by 15% through negotiating better vendor deals.
AA Accounting, UMA
- Maintained 4.0 in core accounting coursework.
- Conducted school project in QuickBooks
High School Diploma, South Portland High School, 2008
- Member, NBA
- Set up AP/AR system for local hair salon.
- Article on MS Excel for bookkeepers published in Befree Blog
Hard Skills: QuickBooks, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll accounting
Soft Skills: attention to detail, communication, dependability, interpersonal skills
Here’s how to write a bookkeeper resume that works:
1. Use the Right Bookkeeper Resume Format
Here’s the problem:
Most employers spend six seconds with each resume. They’ll judge you in an eyeblink! Your bookkeeper resume format can make or break you.
Use these tips:
Bookkeeper Resume Format
- Choose the reverse-chronological resume format.
- Use a respected resume font like 10–12pt Helvetica or Calibri.
- Don’t forget the white space. Use 1-inch resume margins.
- The right resume length for bookkeeper jobs? One page.
- Write these resume sections: Header, Objective, Experience, Education, Skills, and “added” bookkeeping resume sections.
Expert Hint:Save your resume as a PDF file. PDFs convert well to all the different kinds of screens. Plus, ATS hiring software reads them properly.
2. Improve Your Bookkeeper Resume Objective or Summary
Bad luck! The hiring manager deleted your bookkeeper resume! What went wrong? You didn’t grab her right away.
- Your certification if you have one.
- The word “bookkeeper”
- Years of experience (4+, 6+)
- How you’ll help and whom (save time and money at Breaz Buying Service)
- Your greatest bookkeeper achievements (...slashed AR from $350,000 to $10K in 8 months...)
Check out these bookkeeping resume examples:
Bookkeeper Resume Example: Summary
The first of those bookkeeper resume examples has so much going for it. It’s personal, professional, and it shows money details.
But what if your bookkeeper experience is underfunded?
In a resume for bookkeepers with no experience, cite experience from non-bookkeeper jobs.
Entry-Level Bookkeeper Resume Sample: Objective
The second of those bookkeeping resume examples is broke. No details and no numbers.
Expert Hint: Put your full-charge bookkeeper resume objective or summary up top, but write it last. You’ll have all your best financial accomplishments at your fingertips.
3. Add the Skills and a Bookkeeper Job Description to a Resume
Why do some get interviewed, while others get ignored? It’s all in how you write your bookkeeper job description for resumes. Prove you’ve got the financial skills they ask for in the online job posting.
Look at these full-charge bookkeeper resume examples:
The job ad wants these bookkeeping skills: (1) accounts receivable (2) QuickBooks (3) accounts payable (4) MS Excel (5) payroll processing.
Bookkeeper Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The first of those bookkeeper resume samples has every skill they want. The numbers add power.
A job description for an entry-level resume:
The job ad wants these bookkeeper skills: (1) payroll processing (2) QuickBooks (3) collaboration (4) negotiation (5) month-end close.
Entry-Level Bookkeeper Resume Job Description [Sample]
Both of those bookkeeping resume examples are the same person. But only one focused on bookkeeping achievements from a non-bookkeeping job.
Make sure to select the right skills for a resume. Mix hard and soft skills for maximum effect.
The skills in the list below make good bookkeeper resume keywords.
Bookkeeper Resume Skills
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Balance Sheets
- General Ledger
- MS Office
- Payroll Accounting
- Tax Calculations
- Computer Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Communication Skills
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Self Motivation
- Time Management
Expert Tip: Can’t prove you have the skills they need with your work history? Consider online training classes from Accounting Coach or Penn Foster. They look great on entry-level bookkeeping resumes.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
You want the job. And you deserve the job. But... Did you know the education section of your resume can help?
This bookkeeper resume example works so well:
Bookkeeper Resume Example: Education
Why does that work?
It’s the bullet points. They show key bookkeeping skills.
Expert Hint: If you don’t have any bookkeeping accomplishments from school, don’t fret. Add some “other” sections to your resume. See below.
5. Put Added Sections in Your Bookkeeper Resume
All you need is experience and education, right? Hold up. A bookkeeping resume also needs “added” sections. They can help you stand out like a windfall.
Choose one or two of these:
- Certifications (like QuickBooks)
- Memberships (like AIPB or NBA)
- Conferences (especially if you spoke at them)
- Freelance work
- Personal projects
- Volunteer work
Do it like this:
Bookkeeper Resume Sample—Extra Sections
The first of those bookkeeper resume examples could do Jeff Bezos’ taxes.
The second could be anyone.
Expert Hint: Learn how to write a cover letter and attach it to your resume. They’ll read your resume for bookkeeper jobs more carefully. Show you understand this bookkeeper job, and why you’ll do it well.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a bookkeeper resume that shines:
- Use the bookkeeper resume template up top. It fills the blanks to get you hired.
- Put bookkeeper accomplishments in your resume objective, job experience, education, and “added” sections.
- Include bookkeeper keywords and skills from the job ad, and prove them in your resume bullets.
- Write a bookkeeper cover letter. Use it to zero in on why you’re perfect for the role.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for bookkeeper jobs? Not sure how to show bookkeeper on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.