Asking yourself "Do I need a cover letter?" We surveyed 200 hiring decision-makers to find out if cover letters are still important in 2024.
You have a spreadsheet full of skills.
On the one hand, you can mentor and manage a team. But, on the other, you crunch numbers like a pro and can improve any process in a heartbeat.
What you need is an accounting manager resume that will prove just that.
In this guide, you will find everything you need to know:
- An accounting manager resume template that gets jobs.
- How to ace your accounting manager job description for a resume.
- How to write a professional accounting manager resume that stands out.
- Expert tips and examples to boost your chances of landing an accounting manager job.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder for free. Start by choosing a resume template.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for something else than an accounting manager resume? Check some of our other guides:
- Accounting Assistant Resume Example
- Accounting Resume Example
- Accounts Payable Resume Example
- Accounts Receivable Resume Example
- Bank Teller Resume Example
- Bookkeeper Resume Example
- Business Resume Example
- Consultant Resume Example
- Entry-Level Accountant Resume Example
- Entry-Level Business Analyst Resume Example
- Financial Advisor Resume Example
- Tax Accountant Resume Example
Didn't find what you were looking for? Check the whole list of our resume examples.
Accounting Manager Resume Sample
Phone no. 603-432-9642
Efficient accounting manager with over 5 years of experience in managing international accounting teams. Eager to assist Miller Accounts in increasing their corporate clients base by leveraging accounting and management knowledge. At Biscay Group detected cost savings opportunities that reduced monthly spending by 20%.
Biscay Group, Scranton, PA
May 2018–December 2020
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Prepared flux variance analyses for management reporting.
- Processed journal entries and account reconciliations with 98% accuracy.
- Performed one-off projects to accommodate the company's rapid growth that saved $10,000 on outsourcing costs.
- Mentored a team of 10 general ledger accounting specialists.
- Performed expenses analyses that reduced monthly spending by 20%.
Trainee Accounting Manager
Leannon and Sons Accountants, Miami, FL
January 2017–April 2018
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Improved accounting processes and reduced financial statement preparation processes by 15%.
- Achieved process improvements goals 4 quarters straight in cooperation with the corporate controller.
- Supervised team of 6 accounting specialists.
Master of Accounting
Kogod School of Business, American University, Washington, DC
September 2012–June 2014
- SOX controls
- Analytical skills
- Multitasking skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skill
- Oracle ERP
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Certified Public Accountant, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2018
- Certified Management Accountant, Institute of Management Accountants, 2016
- Member of the Accounting & Financial Women’s Alliance since 2016
- Delivered a seminar on successful communication processes during the 2018 AFWA DC Chapter, Washington
Here’s how to write an accounting manager resume that will prove you’re a vital asset to the company:
1. Start with the Right Accounting Manager Resume Format
The statement of financial position follows a logical structure that accountants understand. An accounting manager's resume has to follow resume formatting rules as well. A well-designed resume will pay dividends and catch a hiring manager’s eye.
See how to achieve a distinctive resume layout like a balance sheet:
Accounting Manager Resume Format
- A reverse-chronological format where you state your most recent employment or education first usually works best.
- Select a classic resume font, for example, Times New Roman in 10–12 pt. Your resume should scream professionalism from top to bottom.
- Apply 1” resume margins on all sides of the document so that your resume is legible.
- Stick to a one-page resume unless you have 10+ years of professional experience. In that case, opt for a two-page resume.
- Include these sections in your resume: header, summary, experience, education, and skills. Additional sections may help you stand apart from other candidates.
In the first stage of the recruitment process, resumes are often analyzed by ATS. To avoid the risk of having your document bounced, preserve the resume layout by saving your job application as a PDF file. Remember also to use ATS friendly resume template.
2. Write a Trustworthy Accounting Manager Resume Objective or Summary
Time is money, which applies to the hiring process as well. Seconds decide whether your resume will be rejected or not.
Since every second counts, you have to make sure that your resume is compelling right from the start.
How do you do that?
By introducing yourself with a resume profile—a summary that tops your resume.
If you already have some experience, start with a resume summary:
- One adjective (efficient, data-driven, diligent)
- Job title (Accounting Manager)
- Years of experience (4+, 5+)
- What you’ll bring to the table (design appropriate accounting processes)
- Your most impressive 2–3 achievements (reduced monthly spending by 25%)
A resume summary says what the candidate can do for the employer right in the beginning. And it includes accomplishments, shows examples, and back everything with data.
Are you applying for your first job?
Include a resume objective statement.
Write down any achievements from previous jobs, volunteer work, or extracurricular projects you’ve done. Think of any transferable skills you can include in your resume objective.
Expert Hint: It’s normal to struggle with writing your career profile. Write it at the very end. It will be much easier and quicker.
3. Customize Your Accounting Manager Job Description Section
There are many types of accounting managers. Some struggle with handling processes, keeping books, and managing teams. Others seem to run the finances of entire corporations with little assistance from colleagues.
You can prove which accounting manager you are by writing a dedicated work experience section.
How to write a job description for an accounting manager:
- Re-read the job posting carefully.
- Jot down relevant resume keywords—skills and requirements the employer looks for.
- Think of the times you’ve demonstrated those skills.
- Turn the examples into bullet points. Quantify everything you can. Use action words.
Don’t just list all of your previous jobs and accomplishments. Instead, target your resume to the job posting. Focus on the professional achievements that fit the job description the most. 4. Boost Your Account Manager Resume with a Tailored Skills Section
To be an effective accounting manager, you need to balance different skills.
Soft skills, technical skills, hard skills—put them on a list of skills for a resume.
This section needs to adhere to job posting, just like the job description. Use resume keywords to make hiring manager’s job a bit easier.
Your list of skills can fill a couple of spreadsheets. But you need to keep this part-balanced—list only skills relevant to the job ad.
Accounting Manager Resume Skills
- Budget tracking
- Budget development
- Corporate tax
- Analytical Skills
- Revenue projections
- Process design
- Teamwork skills
- Attention to detail
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Computer Skills
- Technical Skills
- Time Management Skills
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
5. Make Your Accounting Manager Education Section the Reason to Hire You
- If you’ve been working in the field for more than 5 years, list your degree, school name, location, and graduation year.
- If you’re writing an accounting manager resume with no experience, add extra bullet points with extracurricular activities, relevant coursework, projects, academic achievements, or GPA (if it’s above 3.7).
6. Include Extra Sections on Your Accounting Manager Resume
You have mastered the formatting, job description, education, and skills sections. There is one more thing that can make you stand out:
Include extra sections in your accounting manager resume! This way, you’ll not only have the chance to use more required keywords, but also impress your future employer with the extracurriculars that you dabble outside work.
Add one or two sections to make your profile a bit more memorable:
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies and Interests
- Professional References
Writing a cover letter is a good idea if you target a managerial position. A cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
To write the best accounting manager resume, make sure to:
- Use the accounting manager resume sample above.
- Back up your achievements with numbers. Prove to your employer what you can do for their company.
- Target your resume to the job at hand. Include skills and experience that are relevant to the job posting.
- Pair your accounting manager resume with a cover letter. A cover letter can enhance the arguments you make in your resume.
Thanks for reading! Do you have any questions about an accounting manager resume? Or would you like to add anything? We’d love to hear from you! Leave your comment below.
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.