Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
The best jobs get crowded with applicants.
How can you stand out?
It’s a design problem. First understand the job. Then install the right achievements in your mechanical engineering resume.
In this guide:
- A mechanical engineer resume sample better than most.
- How to make an integrated mechanical engineer job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for mechanical engineer jobs they’ll notice.
- Why you can’t just list mechanical engineer skills (and what you can do).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Not sure you need a mechanical engineering resume? See our guide:
- Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Resume
- Engineering Resume
- Manufacturing Engineer Resume
- Electrical Engineering Resume
- Network Engineer Resume
- Software Engineer Resume
- Engineering Student Resume
- Engineering Internship Resume
- Science Research Resume
- Quality Assurance (QA) Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples.
Mechanical Engineer Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Team-player mechanical engineer with 8+ years of experience. Seeking to deliver engineering excellence for Lockheed Martin. At Northrop Grumman, cut costs 22% department-wide through better u-shaped cell layout. Instrumental in winning the re-compete for over $2.2B in contracts.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems
- Designed manufacturing processes, procedures, and cell layouts, including equipment installation, machining, material handling, and assembly.
- Redesigned u-shaped cell production layout across entire department. Result: cut costs by 22% and slashed lead times by 20% over prior layout.
- Implemented a factory-wide Poka-Yoke drive that cut defects by 30% and lowered rework by 23%. Customer satisfaction scores rose by 35%.
- Led employee-idea program that reduced costs to the customer by 15% facility-wide. Result: facility won the re-compete for $2.2 billion in contracts.
- Performed manufacturing engineering duties, including collaborating with cross-functional teams to develop and implement fabrication layouts and processes.
- Redesigned material flow in Metal Fab. Slashed material handling 40%.
- Led trainings that raised Lean buy-in 38%.
- Collaborated with IT to develop real-time production metrics system in the cells. Result: team members raised their own adherence to targets by 30%.
Freelance Mechanical Engineer
- Designed a remote-controlled forklift to a customer's specifications.
- Developed actuators for automated seed-sowing robot.
- Assisted with design of miniaturized conveyor-belt system.
- Used CAD to design an automatic coconut scraper.
- Completed all freelance projects 15% under budget.
BS Mechanical Engineering, California Polytechnic
- Excelled in manufacturing production design classes.
- Pursued a passion for cell layout coursework.
- Created a senior project in Total Productive Maintenance.
- Wrote weekly mechanical engineering articles in The Poly Post.
California Mechanical Engineer License #01234
Led team that received the 2017 Shingo Silver Medallion.
- Member, ASME
- Delivered presentation on Improvements Kata at IMECE Conference 2018.
- Article Continuous Adjustment in Dynamic Systems published in UGears News.
- My article Efficient Fluid Power was linked to by ME Mechanical.
- Received 2 CA State Gold Medals for smokehouse design.
Hard Skills: manufacturing production design, Lean manufacturing, equipment installation layout, workflow development, material handling layout
Soft Skills: leadership, communication, collaboration, time management
Here’s how to write a mechanical engineer resume that works:
1. Select Your Mechanical Engineer Resume Format
What’s the #1 reason job applicants get nixed?
The #2 reason?
Poor resume formatting.
That’s according to a recent survey of 150+ recruiters.
Yet formatting your mechanical engineering resume is such an easy step.
Here’s the schema:
Mechanical Engineer Resume Format
- Start with reverse-chronological formatting for resumes.
- Good fonts for resumes are Cambria, Georgia, and Helvetica. Choose one.
- Include white space and 1-inch margins.
- Stick to 1-page length for your resume unless you’ve got lots of eye-popping achievements.
- Use these resume sections: Heading, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
Expert Hint: Save your resume in the PDF format. PDFs adapt well to different devices. They also do just fine in ATS hiring software.
2. Write a Mechanical Engineer Resume Objective or Summary
You’ve only got six seconds to interest that recruiter.
Do it well, and you’ll look like Nikola Tesla seeking work.
- An adjective (team-player, energetic)
- The words “mechanical engineer”
- Years of experience (2+, 8+)
- Who/how you’ll help (facilitate efficiency at Raytheon)
- Best mechanical engineer achievements (cut costs 22%...)
- A couple skills (leadership, production design)
These mechanical engineering resume examples show the specs:
Mechanical Engineer Resume Summary—Example
Your summary should be full of specifics. Company names, years, numbers, and skills.
You can’t do that if you’re a new engineer.
In an entry-level mechanical engineering resume, talk up freelance work and projects.
Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer Resume Objective
Expert Hint: Design your mechanical engineer resume summary or objective last. Then you’ll get good details like “instrumental in winning the recompete for $2.2 billion.”
3. Lock in Your Mechanical Engineer Job Description and Skills Section
Those are beautiful words.
The #1 reason you won’t get hired is lack of relevant experience.
Show relevance in your mechanical engineering resume.
To do it:
- Scan the job offer for resume keywords.
- Put evidence of them in your bullet points.
Look how these mechanical engineer resume examples do it:
The job ad wants these mechanical engineering skills: (1) production layout (2) Poka-Yoke (3) leadership.
Mechanical Engineer Job Description for Resume [Sample]
Both those mechanical engineer resume examples are the same applicant.
One showed the holy grail of relevant experience.
What about an entry-level resume?
See the next mechanical engineer resume sample:
The job ad wants these mechanical engineer skills: (1) design of remote-control machinery (2) actuator development (3) CAD design (4) interpersonal skills (5) communication.
Entry-Level Mechanical Engineer Resume Job Description [Sample]
Again—relevant experience is your shining star.
Now, make it so.
- Find the right resume skills in the job ad.
- Mix hard skills and soft skills.
Here’s a list of mechanical engineering resume skills to start you off:
Key Skills for Mechanical Engineer Resumes
Technical Report Writing
Expert Hint: There are dozens of potential mechanical engineer skills for resumes. Don’t ever try to list them all. Stick to your wheelhouse and to the online job posting.
4. Turn Standard Education to a Reason to Hire You
Here’s a tip to get noticed:
You know you need education in a mechanical engineer resume.
If you just show your school, degree, and GPA, they’ll yawn.
To get attention, look again at that all-important job ad.
Then add a bullet or two to your resume education section that underpins their needs.
These mechanical engineering resume examples show how:
Mechanical Engineer Education—Example
If the job ad wants production design, cell layout, and TPM, you’re set.
Expert Hint: Does every mechanical engineer resume need 4 education bullets? Nope. Rule of thumb: if you’ve been out of school 10 years, 1–2 bullets is enough.
5. Add “Other” Sections to Your Mechanical Engineer Resume
“We have a winner.”
You need the HR team to say those words.
But did you know your experience and education sections aren’t enough?
A good mechanical engineer resume shows you’re great to work with.
In other words, you’re driven. Passionate. Engaged.
Include a portfolio of your best projects.
Not sure what that should look like? Here are some tips for making mechanical engineering portfolios from Dartmouth.
Link it to your resume.
You can also add sections for:
- Organizations (ASME)
- Projects and freelance work
- License info
- Volunteer work
- Awards & honors
- Clubs & Groups
- Hobbies and interests.
- Additional activities
These mechanical engineering resume examples show how:
Mechanical Engineer Resume—Extra Sections
That first mechanical engineer resume example could be Elon Musk.
Even the smokehouse design is helpful. It shows passion.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. You can get more reading-time for your mechanical engineering resume if there’s a cover letter enclosed.
For a mechanical engineer resume that functions:
- Use the mechanical engineer resume template up top. It’s got everything on the checklist to get HR teams interested.
- Add mechanical engineering accomplishments to your objective, job experience, education, and “other” sections.
- Add a portfolio link to your best projects. Portfolios are increasingly important in the job search.
- Include a mechanical engineer cover letter. In it, show you know the job inside and out.
Do you need to write a cover letter as well? Check out the guide to write a cover letter for engineering positions.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for mechanical engineer jobs? Not sure how to show mechanical engineer on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!