It's time to find your first job. Worry not, this guide will show you how to nail an entry-level or beginner resume and wow the hiring manager.
The work of a cosmetologist isn’t just skin-deep—
Helping people look their best has an effect on their overall well-being.
What does this have to do with writing a resume for cosmetology jobs?
It’s true that your cosmetology resume has to look its best. But, it also has to do something more beneath the surface. Use your cosmetology resume to convince hiring managers you’re exactly who they’re looking for.
In this guide:
- A cosmetologist resume example better than most.
- How to create the perfect cosmetology job description for resumes.
- Which cosmetologist skills will make you shine.
- Expert tips and examples to boost your chances of landing a cosmetology job.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder for free. Start by choosing a resume template.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking to apply your cosmetologist skills doing something new? Or maybe you’re just getting started or looking to change careers? These are just some of our guides:
- Artist Resume Examples
- Customer Service Resume Examples
- Dance Resume Examples
- Resume Examples for an Esthetician
- Flight Attendant Resume Examples
- Health Coach Resume Examples
- Hostess Resume Examples
- Interior Design Resume Examples
- Model Resume Examples
- Stay at Home Mom Resume Examples
- Store Manager Resume Examples
- Yoga Teacher Resume Examples
Couldn't find example for you? Check our professional resume examples for all jobs and industries.
Cosmetology Resume Sample
Friendly cosmetologist with 4+ years’ experience, skilled in laser hair removal. Seeking to provide exceptional cosmetic services at SuperStyles. At Tacary Salon, upsold over 40% of all purchases by taking advantage of sales and salon promotions and exceeded monthly sales goals by an average of 14%.
- Tracked and maintained inventory worth up to $90,000, ensuring all products were in-stock 96% of the time.
- Answered product questions with up-to-date knowledge of sales and salon promotions, upselling over 40% of all purchases.
- Exceeded monthly sales goals by an average of 14%.
- Analyzed weekly sales to track product popularity, increasing overall margin on inventory by 13%.
April 2017–January 2019
- Maintained product knowledge regarding 90–100 different salon products.
- Kept detailed customer records to ensure continuity across appointments, increasing customer satisfaction by almost 20%.
- Ordered supplies on a timely basis to ensure services could be delivered without postponement for 24 months in a row.
- Scheduled and confirmed customer appointments with 100% accuracy.
Certificate in Cosmetology
ABC Beauty School, Seaside, CA
- Pursued a passion for massage classes.
- Worked as part-time receptionist at the school salon.
- Californian cosmetology license
- First Aid and CPR, American Red Cross
- English – native proficiency
- Swedish – fluent
- Laser hair removal
- Matching hair styles
- Social media
- Hair removal
- Treating dyed hair
- Customer service
Cosmetologists specialize in the application and maintenance of beauty treatments. They typically work in salons, spas, and other establishments. Cosmetologists have a passion for beauty and help clients look and feel their best. They can also specialize in skin, hair, or nail care.
Now here’s how to write a cosmetology resume they’ll love:
1. Choose the Right Cosmetology Resume Format
A salon that’s cramped, untidy, and disorganized. A client walks in and nopes right back out again.
Don’t let your cosmetology resume be that salon—
Make sure your resume formatting is clean, spacious, and tidy. Here’s how:
Cosmetology Resume Format
- Go for a modern resume style. Use the reverse-chronological resume template if you’ve been working in salons. Consider a functional resume format if you’ve been working for yourself.
- Pick professional resume fonts like a Verdana, Arial or Noto in 11–12 pt.
- Leave your resume margins at an inch all around. Modern resume templates don’t crowd the page.
- Send a one-page resume. Cosmetologists don’t usually need more.
- Include these sections: Resume Header, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills. Avoid adding your address to your resume. Your email and telephone number will suffice.
Go back over the job ad:
Do they specify a preferred file format there? Something like *.docx or PDF for your resume?
Go with PDF if they don’t.
Why is it so important to check?
Some salons use ATSs (Applicant Tracking Systems) that can’t deal with PDF resume files. Regardless if you'll go with PDF or not, you should always use ATS friendly resume template.
2. Start With a Tempting Cosmetology Resume Profile
The best way to start a resume for cosmetology jobs? By laying it all out there, quickly and confidently—
With a summary of qualifications that makes them sit up and pay attention.
Been working as a fully fledged cosmetologist for a year or more?
Write a resume summary for your profile. It’ll let you make the most of that experience.
- One adjective (dedicated, reliable, friendly)
- Job title (Cosmetologist)
- Years of experience (3+, 5+)
- How you’ll help (provide exceptional cosmetic services)
- Two or three of your most relevant achievements (ensured services could be delivered without postponement for 24 months in a row, increased customer satisfaction by almost 20%)
These career summary examples show how:
Cosmetology Resume Samples—Resume Summary
The first cosmetology resume example easily wins out by getting two things right. It’s all about what the cosmetologist can do for the salon, not the other way around, and—
It manages to put numbers to what the cosmetologist was able to do for their previous employer.
Writing a cosmetology student resume or beginner cosmetology resume with little or no experience? Write a resume objective for your profile and use it to talk up achievements from non-cosmetology jobs as well. Take a look at these career objective examples:
Cosmetology Resume Objective—Examples
It’s totally OK to estimate the numbers you put to the things you were able to achieve for your previous employer. Just keep them realistic and be ready to explain how you arrived at them.
Finding it hard to write the perfect resume profile?
Simply write it last. That’s all it takes—it’ll be way easier and you’ll do a much better job.
3. Create the Perfect Cosmetology Job Description and Skills Sections
Scissors cut, wax sticks to things—
What about your cosmetologist resume?
Its main job is to get you invited to a job interview. The best way to do that is by showing the salon manager you’ve done it all before.
So, fill your resume job description section with wall-to-wall achievements.
How to write a work history section for cosmetologists:
- Take a minute to re-read the job ad.
- Spot all the cosmetology skills and duties in it.
- Think of times you’ve used those skills to really wow employers.
- Write resume bullet points that describe and put numbers to those times.
These cosmetology resume examples show how:
Cosmetology Job Description for a Resume
These two examples show how you can sometimes come up with accomplishments just by adding numbers to boring old duties.
Writing a cosmetology student resume with no experience? Use achievements from non-cosmetology jobs. Andone more thing before you move on:
You need to pick the right skills to put on a resume.
Like harsh hair products, less is more. Cover the skills mentioned in the job ad. Add maybe one or two on top of that—
And stop there. More than five, less than ten, is the sweet spot.
Here’s what you can include in your resume for cosmetologist jobs:
Cosmetologist Skills for Resume
- Laser hair removal
- Matching hair styles
- Social media
- Hair removal
- Treating dyed hair
- MS Word
- Credit card payments
- Assessing customer needs
- Coloring hair
- Manicure / pedicure
- Customer service
- Time management
- Critical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Marketing skills
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Turn Meh Education Into a Reason to Hire You
List your degree (skip for high school diploma), beauty school / college, and graduation date. Then:
Add bullets that point to key cosmetology skills. This cosmetologist resume example shows how:
Cosmetology Instructor Resume Example—Education Section
Short on cosmetology experience?
5. Style Your Cosmetology Resume With Added Sections
Here’s an important tip:
Don’t stop with just experience, education, and skills sections.
There’s so much more to being a good cosmetologist—
Add one or two of these sections:
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Classes Taken
- Hobbies and Interests
- Certifications on a Resume
- Professional References
These two cosmetology resume examples show yes vs no:
Beginner Cosmetology Resume Samples—Extra Sections
Gas-station fake lashes, meet the real deal.
It’s not that there’s anything wrong with mentioning hobbies and interests in a resume—
It’s just that everything you do mention has to be obviously relevant to the job ad.
One more step, nearly there—
Does the job ad say that you shouldn’t include a cosmetology resume cover letter? No?
Then you absolutely need to write a cover letter to go with your cosmetology resume.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a cosmetology resume that gets interviews:
- Use the cosmetology resume template up top. It’s as clean and clear as exfoliated skin and checks all the right boxes.
- Put cosmetology achievements in your resume profile, work experience, and education sections to show you’ve had things under control for a while now.
- Choose the right cosmetology resume skills. Check back with the job ad—it’ll tell you what the right skills are for each given job.
- Write a cosmetology cover letter. Make it stand out by showcasing your passion as you describe how you’ll help the salon thrive.
Writing an entry-level cosmetology resume and need some extra advice? Or maybe you’ve got some advice to share with your fellow readers? Drop us a line down below.
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.