A career change resume sample that gets interviews. Write your resume for career change fast, with expert tips & good + bad examples.
Here’s your problem:
You don’t need 60 hours a week. Just 20 would do it.
You know you’re skilled. And there are people out there who need you.
How can you get noticed?
It starts with a resume that proves you can do remote work.
In this guide:
- A stay at home mom resume sample better than most.
- How to make a great stay at home mom job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for stay at home mom jobs that puts you on the payroll.
- Why you have to prove self-motivation—and how to do it.
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Lots of stay-at-home moms switch careers. If that’s you, see our guide: Career Change Resume Sample—25+ Examples and Writing Tips. You may also find useful to read How to Write a Resume When You Have Employment Gaps.
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional Resume Examples.
Stay at Home Mom Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Licensed Bookkeeper with 6+ years of experience. Seeking to boost efficiency as a remote employee at Red Sky Construction. At Atkins Building Supply, cut AR from $175,000 to $20K with new electronic payments system. Tracked $350,000 in annual revenue with QuickBooks. Member of National Bookkeeper's Association. Highly self-motivated.
- NACPB Bookkeeper Certification
- Intuit QuickBooks Certification
Atkins Building Supply, Inc.
- Worked from home 4 days per month. Recognized for self-motivation.
- Cut accounts receivable from $175,000+ to under $20,000 by creating electronic payments system and increased payment options.
- Improved accounts payable. Cut costs 15% by using automated payments schedule and creating an online portal for suppliers.
- Tracked revenues of $350,000 annually with QuickBooks.
- Cut payroll processing time 15% by digitizing data, centralizing records, and collaborating with IT to integrate payroll and HR.
- Developed pivot tables with MS Excel that saved 10 labor hours per quarter. Slashed time to generate reports by 20%.
Ervin Medical Clinic
- Facilitated payroll processing. Upgraded payroll to QuickBooks system, saving 10 hours of bookkeeping time per month.
- Performed key month-end-close entries and bank reconciliations.
- Used QuickBooks to track past-due accounts. Worked with customers and bookkeeper to recoup $20,000 annually.
- Slashed supply costs 12% by negotiating with vendors.
AA Accounting, Sheridan Technical College
- Excelled in QuickBooks coursework.
- Favorite classes: Payroll, AP/AR
High School Diploma, Taylor County High School, 2008
- Member, National Bookkeeper's Association.
- Set up QuickBooks system for local animal shelter.
- Leader, weekly CrossFit class of 15 students.
Hard Skills: AR, AP, Quickbooks, payroll accounting
Soft Skills: communication, attention to detail, self-motivation, interpersonal skills
That sample SAHM resume does two important things:
- It shows you’re skilled.
- It proves you can work from home.
Now here’s how to write a stay at home mom resume that works:
1. Start with the Right Stay at Home Mom Resume Format
This is vital:
Most resumes for stay at home moms get ignored.
They don’t use the right format for resumes.
The right format conveys professionalism in an eye-blink.
Use these tips:
Stay at Home Mom Resume Format
- Write a reverse-chronological resume unless you’re switching careers.
- Career-changers should use the combination format.
- Avoid the functional resume for stay-at-home moms.
- Choose a professional resume font like 10–12pt Lato or Arial.
- Let some white space in, and set margins at 1 inch.
- Write resume sections for Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- The length of your resume should be one page.
- Save your resume as a PDF so it’ll look good on any screen.
Expert Hint: Most of getting hired with a stay-at-home mom resume is networking. If employers know and like you, they’re more inclined to hire you. Tap into your network!
2. Write a Stay at Home Mom Resume Objective or Summary
Let’s be honest.
Would you read a stack of resumes?
Most employers don’t.
They skim, then spend time with the ones they like.
Be in that second group.
- One adjective (licensed, effective)
- Job title (bookkeeper, graphic artist)
- Years of experience (2+, 7+)
- How/who you’ll help (boost efficiency as a remote employee for RSC)
- Top 2–4 accomplishments (cut AR from $175K...)
These stay at home mom resume examples lay the ground rules:
Stay at Home Mom Resume Summary—Example
Pretend you’re hiring. Which do you like best?
Numbers and details make it sing.
What if your experience is still in onesies?
Some SAHM’s need to switch careers. Will you try your hand at bookkeeping? Start a new copywriting career?
In a resume for stay at home moms with no work experience, your achievements should:
- Come from unrelated jobs.
- Fit the new job.
These SAHM resume examples show how:
Stay at Home Mom Resume Objective
The first of those stay at home mom resume examples works the details.
That also works for a stay at home mom returning to work.
Finally, write your summary last. You’ll nip writer’s block in the bud.
Expert Hint: It’s easier to get hired with a SAHM resume than even 5 years ago. Google “work from home jobs” + [your title]. Then click the blue “jobs” bar for lots of openings.
3. Clean up Your Stay at Home Mom Job Description and Skills Section
Here’s your wakeup call.
It’s hard to get hired as a stay at home mom.
You’ll need to prove competence and work ethic.
- Understand exactly what they need.
- Prove you’ve done it all already.
That comes down to writing a tightly tailored resume.
So—look for the right resume skills in the hiring ad.
Then use them as resume keywords in your job description.
These stay at home mom resume samples show how:
The job wants these skills: working from home, AR, AP, Quickbooks, payroll, Excel.
Stay at Home Mom Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The first of those stay at home mom resume examples is a dream come true. She can work from home, do AR, AP, QuickBooks, payroll, and Excel.
Plus, the numbers show she aces all of them.
The second is like all the rest. Why risk hiring him?
Now let’s look at an entry-level resume:
The job wants these skills: payroll, QuickBooks, month-end-close, negotiating.
Entry-Level Stay at Home Mom Resume Job Description [Sample]
The second of those stay at home mom resume examples might work for a receptionist.
But you want to be a bookkeeper.
Fit your achievements to the new job, no matter what your past job was.
Here’s something special:
You can prove soft skills like negotiating or communication with almost any work history.
Here are some of the most valued skills on the planet:
Stay at Home Mom Resume Skills
Attention to Detail
Expert Hint: Find stay-at-home mom jobs with Google search, Indeed, or LinkedIn. But—apply in person or on the company’s website. You’ll vastly increase your chances!
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
You must show education.
Will you waste it?
Most resume education sections stop at “degree, school, dates, GPA.”
Go the extra mile like this stay at home mom resume sample:
Stay at Home Mom Resume Example—Education
If the job needs Quickbooks, payroll, AP, and AR, you’re set.
Expert Hint: Don’t have a strong network? Join a professional association that fits your career. Also—find regular meetups and networking events near you.
5. Add Sections to Your Stay at Home Mom Resume
“She’s a go-getter.”
Your resume should signal that.
Paste in a couple of these bonus sections:
- Memberships in professional associations
- Conferences you’ve attended
- Classes you’ve taken
- Projects and freelance work
- Groups or clubs
- Awards or honors
- Publications or appearances
- Additional activities
Nail it like these stay at home mom resume examples:
Stay at Home Mom Resume—Extra Sections
The first of those stay at home mom resume examples shows a great employee.
Expert Hint: Your cover letter will be a critical addition to your resume for stay at home moms. You’ll need to convince them you can make the shift to remote work smoothly.
For a stay at home mom resume that wakes them up:
- Use the stay at home mom resume template up top. It gets employers to listen for a change.
- Stuff your resume sections with achievements that play well with the job needs.
- Find resume keywords in the online ad you’re applying to.
- Add some bonus sections that show this isn’t your first rodeo.
Got questions on how to write a great resume for stay at home mom jobs? Not sure how to put stay at home mom on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!