Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
This nurse practitioner resume sample can get you noticed like Loretta Ford.
Finding a nurse practitioner job is easy. Right?
There are 240,700 NP jobs in the US. Plus—they’re growing at a rate of 26% per decade.
That’s half right.
Some towns are switching back to MDs, while NPs get phased out.
You’ll fight to get an NP job in popular locations. Think Austin, Denver, San Francisco, or New York.
But don’t worry. With the right healthcare moments in your resume for nurse practitioners, you’ll stick out like Sophia Thomas in a healthcare desert.
In this guide:
- A nurse practitioner resume sample better than most.
- How to write a job-getting nurse practitioner resume.
- How to script the best nurse practitioner job description for your resume.
- Why you can’t just list nurse practitioner skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you sure a resume for nurse practitioner jobs is right for you? See our guides:
- Certified Nurse Assistant Resume Examples
- New Grad Nursing Resume Examples
- Icu Nurse Resume Examples
- Nursing Resume Examples
- LPN Resume Examples
- Nursing Student Resume Examples
- Caregiver Resume Examples
- Medical Assistant Resume Examples
- Doctor Resume Examples
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples.
Nurse Practitioner Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Effective nurse practitioner with 5+ years of experience as an NP and 10 years of nursing experience. Seeking to provide excellent care at Ramirez Medical. At CMC Utah, mentored 10 NPs & RNs to increase HCAHPS scores 20% in 18 months.
Collins Medical Center, Utah
- Delivered medical care, referrals, coordination, and consultation to diverse patient population with critical medical issues.
- Saw 20+ patients per day, assisting with acute and chronic concerns.
- Worked with patients to improve key metrics like blood pressure, weight, diet, and lifestyle habits through education and feedback.
- Documented and tracked patient health metrics, providing feedback.
- Worked with office staff to create a smooth flow through the clinic, improving time spent on patients by 15%.
- Collaborated with insurance vendors to raise reimbursement 18%.
- Mentored 10+ new NPs and RNs to raise HCAHPS scores by 20%.
- Healthcare worker of the year, 2019.
Collins Medical Center, Utah
RN on 30-bed trauma ward.
- Increased number of patients seen daily by 20% with new charting process.
- Collaborated with physicians to assess and create treatment plans.
Master of Science, Nursing
University of Utah
- Excelled in leadership and healthcare planning.
- Completed master's thesis in differential diagnosis.
Bachelor of Science, Nursing
University of Utah, 2010
- Registered Nurse—License #00000000
- Volunteer NP at 5 trail runs per year 26–100 miles each.
- Mentor 7 NPs through AANP.
- Facilitate 4 fundraisers per year for Tooele County Animal Shelter.
Hard Skills: admissions & discharge, ordering & interpreting tests, differential diagnosis
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, communication, collaboration, attention to detail
Here’s how to write a resilient nurse practitioner resume:
1. Choose the Right Nurse Practitioner Resume Format
What’s the right nurse practitioner resume format?
It’s the reverse-chronological resume format.
It shows your newest Melissa-Decapua-level achievements first.
Use these resume formatting tips to fill it in:
Nurse Practitioner Resume Format
- Write a single–page resume for nurse practitioner jobs, with 1-inch margins.
- Use a high-visibility resume font like 11–14pt Bell MT or Didot.
- To make it extra readable, add white space.
- Craft resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Get your points across on all screen types with a transferable PDF resume.
2. Write a Nurse Practitioner Resume Objective or Summary
Hospital admins don’t read resumes. They look them over.
Then they come back to the ones they like.
- An adjective (effective, efficient)
- “Nurse practitioner”
- Years of experience (2+, 7+)
- What you’ll do and for whom (provide excellent care at Ramirez Medical...)
- Best resume achievements(increased HCAHPS scores 20%...)
See these family nurse practitioner resume examples:
Nurse Practitioner Resume Summary—Example
Both examples fit the diagnosis.
But the first of those nurse practitioner resume samples adds 5 years of experience and a Maria T. Codina Leik-worthy accomplishment.
“Hey, hold the elevator! I just got my Master’s! I don’t have a great NP achievement like that yet!”
No worries. See these entry-level resume samples for nurse practitioner jobs:
Entry-Level Nurse Practitioner Resume Objective
Those both sparkle.
But the first of those new graduate nurse practitioner resume examples with no experience adds a glowing achievement.
3. Prescribe the Right Nurse Practitioner Job Description and Skills
What skills does a resume for nurse practitioner jobs need?
Easy. Here’s a resume skills list:
Nurse Practitioner Resume Skills
Admissions & Discharge
Interpreting Test Results
Attention to Detail
But take a breath—
Don’t inject those all into a resume for nurse practitioner jobs. That’s generic.
These nurse practitioner resume samples show how:
The job in this case wants skills in consultations, documentation, leadership, and mentoring.
Nurse Practitioner Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
Those two resume examples for nurse practitioner jobs are Mayo-Clinic-level. But—
The first has 20+, 15%, and other measures, with role-specific skills. This way it proves the candidate can do the job.
Are you an entry-level nurse practitioner?
A resume for jobs with no experience can still thrive.
See these entry-level nurse practitioner resume examples. The job in question needs charting, collaboration, and treatment plan creation.
Entry-Level Nurse Practitioner Resume Job Description [Sample]
The second of those nurse practitioner student resume samples only works for another RN job!
The 20% and charting in the first example are like a shot of epinephrine.
Expert Hint: According to BLS data, California, the Northeast, Southeast, and Texas have the most nurse practitioner jobs. Are you job hunting in the Northwest, Midwest, and central-Southern states? If so, your resume for nurse practitioner jobs will have to shine like David Hebert.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Reassess Your Education Section
What matters in the education section of an NP resume?
It’s more than just your school and Master’s degree.
Take your resume education section from critical to stable with patient-helping skills.
Watch this freelance nurse practitioner resume sample do it:
Nurse Practitioner Resume Example—Education
That adds leadership, planning, and differential diagnosis to your resume for nurse practitioner jobs.
5. Invigorate Your Nurse Practitioner Resume
Your nurse practitioner resume can’t be ordinary.
You need to give the clinic every reason to pick up the phone.
Do it with extras in your resume for nurse practitioner jobs.
- Certifications (RN, NP, ACLS, etc.)
- Associations (AANP, etc.)
- Additional activities
See these nurse practitioner resume examples:
Nurse Practitioner Resume—Other Sections
The details in the first of those nurse practitioner resume samples are Cleveland-Clinic-worthy.
Expert Hint: Create a cover letter for your resume for nurse practitioner jobs. Show your passion for healthcare and your top few medical moments that fit the job opening.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a nurse practitioner resume:
- Start with a nurse practitioner resume template. Supplement it with your best NP moments and features.
- Add nurse practitioner skills like patient assessments and differential diagnosis. Tag them with numbers that make HR people sit up straight.
- Write a nurse practitioner resume objective to wrap up your best NP attributes.
- Add other sections like an AANP membership, volunteering, or certifications.
- Write a nursing cover letter to increase your chances of getting noticed. Check out more specific cover letter guides like the new grad RN cover letter, the RN cover letter, or the CNA cover letter.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for nurse practitioner jobs? Not sure how to put nurse practitioner on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!