Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
This new grad nursing resume sample can shock your career to life.
There are over 200,000 new nurses every year.
They want the same jobs you do.
To get noticed in that mob, you need a Theresa-Brown-level resume for new nursing graduates.
You can do it, with the right focus on your schooling and clinical experience.
In this guide:
- A new grad nursing resume example better than most.
- How to write a new grad RN resume that lands interviews.
- How to custom-craft your new grad nursing job description.
- Why you can’t just list new grad nursing skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Is a new grad RN resume really the best choice? See our guides:
- Nursing Student Resume Examples
- Certified Nurse Assistant Resume Examples
- Nursing Resume Examples
- Nurse Practitioner Resume Examples
- LPN Resume Examples
- Medical Assistant Resume Examples
- Internship Resume Examples
- Doctor Resume Examples
- Healthcare Resume Examples
- Physician Assistant Resume Examples
- Medical-Surgical Nurse Resume Examples
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples for Any Job.
Sample New Grad Nursing Resume You Can Copy and Use
Licensed RN with 2+ years of precept nurse experience. Eager to deliver high-level care at APMC. At Richmond Medical Center, was scored at 97% for patient education and wound-dressing by preceptor. Completed assigned tasks 10% ahead of schedule.
License & Certifications
- Registered Nurse, Virginia Board of Nursing, License #00000000
- Certified Patient Care Technician
- Basic Life Support
Bachelor of Science, Nursing
University of Virginia
- Excelled in patient education coursework.
- Worked as teacher's assistant in wound dressing classes.
- Member, Student Nursing Association.
Richmond Medical Center
- Provided care and assisted with creation of plan of care in general 35-bed inpatient ward.
- Collected patient information and communicated results to preceptor. Used collected data to assist preceptor in creating plan of care.
- Established track record for efficiency, completing assigned tasks 10% ahead of schedule with 90%+ accuracy as judged by preceptor.
- Performed medical procedures including IV insertion, intradermal injections, blood pressure assessments, and wound care.
- Rated at 97% by preceptor for wound-dressing and patient education.
Alexandria Medical Clinic
- Facilitated mobilization of patients to minimize falls and skin breakdown. Achieved 10% lower bedsore rate than clinic average.
- Scored 100% in HIPAA compliance.
- Sterilized instruments with 99% scores in spot checks by preceptor.
- Recorded vital signs of 5+ patients per day.
- Volunteer educator, American Red Cross.
- My article on catheterization was published in The Nursing Show.
- Weekly yoga for fitness & self-care.
Hard Skills: wound dressing, patient education, IV insertion, medication administration
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, teamwork, communication, problem solving
Here’s how to write a healthy new grad nursing resume:
1. Choose the Best New Grad Nursing Resume Format
Which new grad nursing resume format is right?
Select the reverse-chronological format for resumes.
It shows off your Cleveland-Clinic-worthy achievements first.
Use these resume format tips:
New Grad Nursing Resume Format
- Create a one–page resume for new grad nursing jobs.
- Make 1-inch margins.
- Pick a resume font like 11–14pt Cambria or Arial.
- For max readability, add some white space.
- Make resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
Expert Hint: Save your work as a PDF resume so it works on all devices. A new grad RN resume in PDF form won’t confuse the ATS, and hiring teams love them.
2. Write a New Grad Nursing Resume Objective
The charge nurse will skim your new grad nurse resume.
If it doesn’t grab her, she’ll toss it.
Make your first paragraph sparkle like Meredith Grey.
Do that with a career objective.
- An adjective (licensed, energetic)
- What you’ll do and for whom (deliver high-level care at APMC)
- Best resume achievements(scored 97% for patient education)
See these new grad nursing resume examples:
New Grad Nursing Resume Objective—Example
The second of those new grad nursing resumes samples just says what you can do.
The first shows you’ve done it—fast and well.
Your precept nurse experience counts as real experience in a new grad nurse resume. Don’t waste it!
Expert Hint: Write your new grad RN resume objective last. You’ll have an easy time summarizing your resume when you’ve got the finished copy at your fingertips.
3. Give Your Education Section a Fighting Chance
How should you list education in a new grad nurse resume?
Show your degree and the name of your school. But—
To wow the charge nurse, put skills in your resume education section.
See this new grad nursing resume sample:
New Grad Nursing Resume Example—Education
You just added patient education and wound dressing to your new grad RN resume.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Show Clinical Experience and Skills in a New Grad Nursing Resume
What skills function in a nursing resume for new grads?
Here’s a resume skills list:
New Grad Nursing Resume Skills
- Medicine Administration
- Wound Dressing
- Patient Education
- Patient Transport
- Electronic Health Records (EHR)
- Recording Vital Signs
- Creating Plan of Care
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
- Active Listening
- Problem Solving
- Physical Stamina
- Interpersonal Skills
Don’t pump them all into a new grad nurse resume.
These new grad nursing resume samples show how:
The job wants skills in collecting patient information, efficiency, IV insertion, and wound dressing.
New Grad Nursing Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
With the second of those ICU nursing resume examples, you’re circling the drain. But—
The first is skin-glued to the job ad.
Expert Hint: A peer-reviewed study found that clinical nursing simulations were no substitute for real experience. If you’ve volunteered or worked an internship, show that in your new grad nursing resume.
5. Add Bonus Sections to Your New Grad Nursing Resume
More than 200,000 new nurses graduate from school each year.
Your new grad RN resume has to outshine them all.
So—add extras to your new grad nurse resume.
- Certifications (RN, CPN, OCN, etc.)
- Associations (ANA, etc.)
- Volunteer positions
- Honors or awards
- Media appearances
- Additional activities
- Sports and fitness
See these new grad nursing resume examples:
New Grad Nursing Resume—Other Sections
What’s wrong with making sauerkraut or singing? Nothing! But they don’t prove RN skills.
The first of those new grad nursing resume samples shows you can take the heat.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your nursing new grad resume. Show off your love of nursing and your best few nursing high points that make you a great choice.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a new grad nursing resume:
- Start with a new grad nursing resume template. Infuse it with your top new grad nursing moments.
- Add new grad nursing skills like wound dressing or patient education. Put a few numbers in to measure your results.
- Write a new grad nursing resume objective as a snapshot of the best reasons to hire you.
- Add extra sections to list your license or an ANA membership.
- Don't forget to write a new grad RN cover letter.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for new grad nursing jobs? Want to see more new grad nurse resume examples? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!