You're about to change your career. Learn how to write a career change resume that will get you the dream job.
Are you just starting and looking for a Walmart cashier or stocker job? Or you’re a seasoned pro applying for the Walmart sales associate or manager positions? Walmart is a multi-billion company stocked with opportunities like a shelf full of candy bars!
So, how do you land a job at Walmart? By preparing the best Walmart resume.
In this guide, you’ll find:
- A Walmart resume example that’s better than most others.
- How to write the perfect Walmart job description for resumes.
- How to build a resume for Walmart jobs that stands out to recruiters.
- Expert tips and examples to boost your chances of landing a job at Walmart.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for something different from Walmart jobs? See our other expert guides:
Walmart Resume Example
Reliable high-school student seeking a night-shift part-time job. Physically strong and active, proven by center position in the school’s basketball team. Previously worked half-time as a stocker at Sears, providing delivery support by preparing 50+ containers of requested goods with 100% accuracy. Committed to improving customer experience through the diligent stocking of products.
High School Diploma
Muscle Shoals High School, Muscle Shoals, AL
- Center position on the school’s basketball team.
- Won 3rd place in the school’s math competition.
Sears, Muscle Shoals, AL
March 2021–October 2022
- Stocked an over 1,000 sq ft store.
- Handled storing and stocking items up to $8,000 in value.
- Performed daily inventory checks for displayed and stored products and submitted inventory reports to the managers.
- Unloaded 20+ trucks daily.
- Received an “employee of the month” award for engagement and professionalism.
St. Martha’s Hospice
April 2020–July 2022
- Participated in organizing fundraising fairs.
- Operated a stand and serviced hundreds of clients during fair days, raising over $4,500 for the cause.
- Working under pressure
- Customer service
- Time management
- Physical strength
- MS Office
- Maintaining product knowledge
- Chinese—Intermediate (HSK level 4)
Walmart’s employees are varied, but they all follow the company’s vision to “be the destination for customers to save money.” Depending on their position, employees stock shelves, manage warehouses, make deliveries, and provide customer service to better the shopping experience.
And here’s how to write a Walmart resume the recruiters will love:
1. Start With the Best Walmart Resume Format
Just as you can’t have products laid out chaotically on the shelves, your resume can’t be messy, too. Tidy up your resume for Walmart by choosing a clean resume format. Here’s how to do so:
- Choose the reverse-chronological resume format to show your most recent experiences first.
- Pick readable resume fonts like Cambria in 10–12pt.
- Add clean-looking white spaces by applying 1-inch resume margins.
- Submit a one-page-long resume for an entry-level job or a two-page resume for these Walmart positions requiring sufficient working experience.
- Use these resume sections: header, summary, experience, education, and skills, and add other sections if needed.
- Save your resume as a PDF unless the job offer doesn’t say otherwise. This way, the layout remains the same, no matter what device the recruiter uses to open your resume.
2. Create an Eye-Catching Walmart Resume Profile
Walmart is the top 1 retailer in the U.S., and you know the saying: “time is money.” Hiring managers spend only 6 seconds scanning the application headlines, so your Walmart resume must immediately draw their attention, no matter the position you’re applying for. And a perfect resume profile will do just that.
If you’re starting your career or have little experience to show, write a resume objective.
- One adjective (reliable, efficient, energetic)
- Stage of education (High-school student)
- Relevant extracurricular activity (sports team, school club)
- Applicable 2–3 achievements. These can be professional achievements, things you did as a volunteer (operated a stand and serviced hundreds of clients during fair days), or academic achievements
- Line on how you’ll help (improve customer experience through the diligent stocking of products)
And if you’re aiming for a higher position at Walmart, write a resume summary instead.
In a resume summary, mention how many years of experience you have instead of discussing your extracurricular activities. Also, put extra emphasis on your achievements here. You want them to draw attention like a neatly displayed luxury item.
Expert hint: Some resume keywords attract the eye quicker than others. And since recruiters are pressed for time scanning through hundreds of applicants, you should use them to your advantage.
3. Write the Perfect Walmart Job Description and Skills Sections
The turnover rate of Walmart is relatively high, so there is also a lot of competition trying to take the same spot as you. And to show the recruiters you’re a premium employee, not a discount one, prepare a top-notch job history section on your Walmart resume.
How to write a job description for Walmart jobs:
- Take your time reading the job ad.
- Spot the required skills and duties. Job ads are usually full of them, so you should end up with a neat list.
- Recall the times you’ve used those skills in your previous jobs.
- Write perfectly tailored resume bullets that back up your experience with numbers.
And don’t forget—add a resume skills section. But don’t stuff it like a turkey for Thanksgiving. Consult with the job ad to see what skills Walmart expects from you, and go with these. If you can think of a great skill that wasn’t mentioned, include it on your resume. And something to keep in mind—don’t lie about skills on your resume.
Use this list for reference:
Walmart Resume Skills
- Product Knowledge
- Interpersonal Skills
- Strategic Planning
- Time Management Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- MS Office
- Oral & Written Communication Skills
- Basic Math
- Customer Service
- Leadership Skills
- Management Skills
- Forklift Operation
- Basic First Aid and CPR
- Relationship Building
- Dispute Resolution Skills
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Turn Your Education Into a Reason to Hire You
Most people treat the resume education section as a write-and-forget type of deal. And they are missing out on a huge opportunity to make their resumes shine.
Of course, you should still write your school name, degree, and graduation date, but you might need more to stand out. Show your employer you’re dedicated, especially if you’re short on relevant experience. Tell them about your extracurricular activities, projects, and accomplishments.
If you’re applying for a Walmart junior sales associate position, prove your business acumen by telling the HR department about what you did in the school’s business club. If you’re leaning towards writing a Walmart stocker resume, show your physical background to prove your strength and endurance.
But, if you’re already quite experienced in the field and going for a resume for a Walmart sales associate, focus on something else than creating a robust education section. Focus on building up your resume's work experience section instead.
5. Supply Your Resume for Walmart With the Best Additional Sections
You’ve already created a great resume, but is it enough? Add one or two bonus sections to your Walmart resume. That way, you’ll put a “Best Deal” sign right on top of it.
Choose from these bonus resume sections:
- Hobbies and Interests
- Volunteer Work
- Professional Certificates
- Work References
- Additional Activities
Expert Hint: Even if you’re applying for an entry-level position, include a cover letter. Our study has shown that 83% of HR managers consider cover letters important for their hiring decision.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a resume for Walmart that gets interviews, follow these steps:
- Use the provided resume for Walmart template. It’s clean and organized like a freshly stocked shelf.
- Put work achievementsrelevant to your Walmart position in various resume sections. Your summary, work history, education, and extra sections will prove your expertise.
- Choose the right skills on your Walmart resume. Carefully look through the job advertisement and learn what the company wants.
- Write a Walmart cover letter. Show that you’re more dedicated than other applicants and prove your fit.
Have questions on how to write an excellent resume for a Walmart stocker? Any doubts about your Walmart manager resume? Maybe you’re not sure how to make your Walmart cashier resume sound just right? No matter what position at Walmart you’re looking to apply for, leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.