How do you write a resume? With so many conflicting opinions out there, we’ve set out to find the ultimate answer to this question.
Being a paralegal is not like Law and Order. It’s better. The top paralegals make almost $80K a year. The job market will grow at 12% in the next 10 years. In other words? You picked a great career.
The best paralegal jobs draw hundreds of applicants. But don’t sweat it. We’ll show you how to make a paralegal resume that gets a hired verdict.
In this guide:
- A paralegal resume example better than most.
- How to write a resume for paralegal jobs that stands out.
- How to draft a paralegal job description for resumes.
- Which paralegal skills for resumes are in-demand now.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Coming into law from another job? Try this guide: Resume for a Career Change
Need a different resume guide? Check these out:
- How to Write a Legal Resume
- Legal Assistant Resume
- Law Clerk Resume
- Law School Resume
- Law Student Resume
- Attorney Resume
- Correctional Officer Resume
- Internship Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional Resume Examples.
Paralegal Resume Example
Licensed paralegal with 5+ years of experience. Seeking to increase efficiency and accuracy at Litman & Takacz. At Hudson & Wolff, helped create new legal database that cut time to draft contracts by 35%. Wrote 7+ reports per month and trained 5 junior paralegals. Member of NALA. Skilled in scheduling, investigation, and ERP systems.
- Advanced Certified Paralegal (ACP)
- Certified Paralegal (CP)
Hudson & Wolff
- Conducted legal research, investigated case facts, wrote and proofread legal briefs and reports to prepare for trials.
- Assisted with implementation of new legal database that slashed contract drafting time by 35%.
- Wrote 7+ legal reports per month with 95% partner satisfaction.
- Mentored and trained 5 junior paralegals in research.
- Investigated facts for 40+ cases that went to trial.
Hudson & Wolff
- Prepared and proofread 20+ communications per week.
- Conducted 40+ trademark searches.
- Helped cut administrative costs 20% by sourcing better IT vendors.
- Scheduled 800+ appointments.
AA Paralegal Studies, Harrisburg Community College
- Excelled in legal research classes.
- Conducted 2-credit project in settlement techniques.
- Member, NALA.
- Mentor 20+ professional paralegals.
- Lead weekly spin classes with 15+ members.
- 2019 - NALA Conference - Spoke on panel about research.
- 2017 - NFPA Annual Conference
Hard Skills: Legal research, writing briefs, billing software, investigation, ERP systems
Soft Skills: Interpersonal skills, communication, efficiency
Here’s how to write a paralegal resume that convinces:
1. Choose a Professional Paralegal Resume Format
Can you handle the truth?
They’ll judge you by your resume format.
Start with the reverse-chronological layout. It puts the right facts before their eyes.
Paralegal Resume Format
- Draft a single-page resume.
- Set 1-inch resume margins for the document.
- Use a resume font like 10–12pt Helvetica or Didot.
- Create resume sections like Heading, Summary, History, Education, and Skills.
- Put white space between sections for easy reading.
- Save your resume in PDF form. PDF resumes show up well on different screens. But if a .docx file is required, here's a list of Word resume templates.
2. Write a Paralegal Resume Objective or Summary
Danger. You have little time before they file your resume.
- “Licensed paralegal”
- Years of experience (2+, 4+)
- How/who you will help (increase efficiency at Litman & Takacz)
- Best paralegal moments (cut time to draft contracts by 35%...)
- A couple job skills (investigation, scheduling...)
Save brain cells by writing it last.
These litigation paralegal resume examples give the brief:
Paralegal Resume Example: Summary
I rest my case.
Both paralegal duties resume samples talk writing and training skills. But the first adds evidence like 35%, 7+, and 5.
Are you making an entry-level resume for paralegals?
See this entry-level paralegal resume sample:
Entry-Level Paralegal Resume Objective
They won’t buy the second of those paralegal resume examples. What does “good communicator” mean without proof?
Expert Hint: There are plenty of law firm rankings, but you should learn how to assess each company by yourself.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
3. Enhance Your Paralegal Job Description and Skills
What skills do you need in a paralegal resume?
Here’s a list:
Paralegal Skills for a Resume
- Attention to Detail
- Client Counseling
- Client Interviews
- Collaboration Skills
- Computer Skills
- Conceptual Skills
- Court Calendaring
- Court Procedures
- Critical-Thinking Skills
- Drafting Briefs
- Drafting Lawsuits
- Interpersonal Skills
- Legal Assistance
- Legal Research
- Organization Skills
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Preparing Reports
- Relationship Building
- Settlement Techniques
- Time Management
- Trial Preparation
- Verbal and Written Communication
But there’s a rider.
Don’t list them all. You’ll look silly. Maybe even dishonest.
To write a paralegal job description for resumes:
- Pick the right resume skills in the job posting.
- Put them in your resume as keywords.
- Show the results you got from using them.
Copycat the first of these paralegal resume samples:
Say the job ad wants these paralegal skills: IT, writing legal reports, training, investigation.
Paralegal Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The second of those paralegal resume examples skips IT skills, writing reports, training, and investigation. It also lacks numbers like 35% and 40+.
Does that work in an entry-level resume? Yep. Say the job wants these paralegal skills: proofreading, trademark searches, sourcing vendors, scheduling, teamwork.
See this entry-level paralegal resume example with no experience:
Entry-Level Paralegal Resume Job Description [Sample]
The first paralegal resume example shows proofreading, and scheduling. Then it says how much you did of each. It also cites teamwork from another job.
Expert Hint: Paralegal duties resumes need computer skills. Does the job ad want Excel, Clio, or LexisNexis? What about MyCase? Check the ad, then put proof in your resume.
4. List Education on a Paralegal Resume
They already know you have an education. But you can also wow them with it.
Put a couple coveted skills in your education section.
This personal injury paralegal resume sample shows how:
Paralegal Resume Example—Education
That paralegal education resume example proves research and settlement techniques.
5. Add More to Your Paralegal Resume
“Wow, look at that.”
If they say that about your paralegal resume, they’ll call. Put a couple “added” sections in your resume with key accomplishments.
Try a few of these:
- Associations (NALA, NFPA)
- Certifications and licenses (ACP, CP)
- Pro bono work
- Additional activities
- Hobbies and interests
This sample paralegal resume crushes it:
Paralegal Resume—Extra Sections
The first of those paralegal resume examples shows you’re certified. Then it proves mentorship, leadership, and research skills.
Expert Hint: Learn how to write a cover letter for a job. Your paralegal duties resume will sink without it. Yes, many hiring teams don’t care about them. But don’t insult the 45% that do. Check out this paralegal cover letter example for reference.
Haven't written your cover letter yet? See these related guides:
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a paralegal resume:
- Use the paralegal resume template up top. Build your case with skills mentioned in the online job ad.
- Don’t just list paralegal skills on a resume. Researching and investigation are great. But to get hired, show how they helped the partners.
- Your education section needs evidence. Salt in skills like training or computer use.
- Include resume sections that show NALA memberships, certifications, or athletic activities.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for paralegal jobs? Not sure how to put paralegal on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.