Asking yourself "Do I need a cover letter?" We surveyed 200 hiring decision-makers to find out if cover letters are still important in 2022.
You’re about to make a data analyst cover letter that uplifts you to “hired.”
Think about it—
Great cover letters for data analyst positions start with massive data sets.
You need to skim the best parts of your life, then summarize them.
You’ve got to do it fast, because you don’t have three days (or even hours) to write a great data analytics cover letter.
We’re here to help.
In this article, you’ll get:
- Two sample data analyst cover letters: one for experienced and one for entry-level data analysts.
- Steps to write a cover letter for data analyst jobs that wows employers.
- A template for data analyst covering letters you can adapt in less than 15 minutes.
Save hours of work and get a cover letter like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ cover letter templates and download your cover letter now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your cover letter.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous cover letter was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for other cover letter examples for positions in engineering, tech, and science? See:
- Architecture Cover Letter
- Engineering Cover Letter
- Mechanical Engineer Cover Letter
- Business Analyst Cover Letter
- It Cover Letter
- Financial Analyst Cover Letter
- Data Entry Cover Letter
- Computer Science Cover Letter
- Finance Cover Letter
- CIA Cover Letter
- Business Development Cover Letter
- Digital Marketing Cover Letter
- Project Manager Cover Letter
- Cover Letter with No Experience
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Cover Letter Examples.
Let’s start with two great cover letter examples for data analysts:
1. Data Analyst Cover Letter Examples
Here comes Peter.
He’s an experienced data analyst. He’s done the job and he knows SQL better than his sock drawer.
Peter is applying for a data analytics job that needs skills in modeling, upgrading reporting dashboards, and writing SQL test scripts.
He’ll show that to potential employers before they even see his resume. That way, they’ll spend more than the dreaded six seconds reading it.
With the perfect data analyst cover letter sample:
Example #1: Experienced Data Analyst Cover Letter
Data Analyst Cover Letter Example—Text Version
3379 Layman Court
Atlanta, GA 30303
Dear Ms. Guadin,
After moving here from San Diego, I was excited to see your opening for a data analyst position at Emtec. I caught your talk at the Global Big Data Conference last year in Santa Clara, and your theories about storage velocity were refreshing. As a data analyst with 5+ years of experience working with high-performing teams, I think I can be a valuable addition to your company.
Your job posting online says you need an analyst with a track record of building statistical analysis models, upgrading reporting dashboards, and developing SQL test scripts and test cases. Here are a few of my past accomplishments that fit:
- Statistical analysis models: Built models for large data sets that raised online sales by as much as 20% per product.
- Upgrading reporting dashboards: Slashed data processing time by 95% through improved reporting dashboards.
- Developing SQL test scripts: Developed 50+ test scripts and test cases that were adopted by the entire team, saving 20+ hours per month.
I'm very interested in discussing Emtec's requirements for a data analyst who can bring big data down to size with efficiency and teamwork.
Peter Webb, Data Analyst
PS—I'm happy to share how I used AWS to process massive data sets at low cost in applications similar to yours.
Peter has an excellent shot at the interview.
“Hey, wait a minute! I don’t have a career like that!!!”
If you’re writing a graduate data analyst cover letter with no experience, you can still connect.
Let’s meet Anna, Peter’s young LinkedIn connection.
She just put a cork in her data analyst internship and she’s ready for the big leagues.
She’ll make it—thanks to this sample data analyst cover letter for entry-level applicants:
Example #2: Entry-Level Data Analyst Cover Letter Sample
Entry-Level Data Analyst Cover Letter Sample—Text Version
Junior Data Analyst
3379 Layman Court
Atlanta, GA 30303
Dear Ms. Gaudin,
I'm writing to apply for your position for a junior data analyst at Emtec. I know you're looking for an entry-level analyst versed in R, defining IT roadmaps, and gathering data requirements for future systems. Here's why I think I can help:
I just finished a whirlwind internship with Sony's PlayStation division, which was eye-opening for three reasons: 1) It built on my use or R and Monte Carlo methods from my BS in Statistics at UCLA, 2) I got to help define roadmaps for Sony's groundbreaking IT systems, and 3) I worked directly with leadership and the engineers to capture data requirements for systems in development.
Those were great experiences, mostly because of what I was able to accomplish. Using R, I helped realize a 20% time-savings for the data analyst team. I also hatched key insights that were adopted as part of Sony's roadmaps process. I'm excited to build on wins like those, and very interested in growing my skill set on the job at Emtec.
Could we grab a coffee and discuss how you see an entry-level data analyst growing into a future key role at Emtec?
Anna Zingaro, Data Analyst
Recruiters will read Anna’s resume with care.
You’ve seen two data analyst cover letter samples that pass the acid test.
Next, here are some samples you can copy and fill in to fit your life.
One tip: Companies won’t hire you without the best resume in the set. See this guide: Data Analyst Resume Sample & Guide
1. How to Write a Cover Letter for Data Analyst Jobs Step by Step (Template)
Here’s how to write a cover letter for data analyst jobs:
1. Choose Your Data Analyst Cover Letter Format
The bad news:
Hiring managers won’t read cover letters for data analysts that look like data feeds.
The format of a cover letter determines your success.
Here’s how to format a data analyst cover letter template:
- Left-align all cover letter sections, including your contact info and date.
- Use 1-inch margins all around and single line-spacing.
- Make it one page or less.
- Use a professional cover letter font—the same one in your data analyst resume.
- Write 3 paragraphs and a closing sentence. Add optional bullets to call out key achievements.
Expert Hint: According to research by the New York Times, R is one of the most central skills for data analysts. If you’ve used it to save time or make money for employers, showcase it in your data analyst cover letter—especially if the job ad mentions it.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
2. Start with Contact Info in Your Cover Letter Heading
To look professional—
Start off with a business letter heading.
Follow this cover letter sample for data analyst jobs:
Data Analyst Cover Letter Example Template: Heading
[Hiring Manager Name]
[City, State, Zip]
Use the same header on your resume.
3. Introduce Yourself and Mention the Job Opening
Data analysts know—
The right query is everything.
So, make a great one in your cover letter for data analyst jobs.
Here’s an example:
Data Analyst Cover Letter Sample: Paragraph #1
Dear [Manager’s Name]:
After moving here from [Where You Moved From], I was excited to see your opening for a data analyst position at [Company Name]. I caught your talk at [Where You Saw The Hiring Manager], and your theories about [Data Analyst Skill] were refreshing. As a data analyst with [# Years] years of experience working with [Data Analyst Skill], I think I can be a valuable addition to your company.
Recognize the pattern?
That works because it makes an instant connection with the team lead.
“Hang on a second! I didn’t just move here, and I didn’t hear her speak!”
That’s okay. Just find some way to connect like the healthcare data analyst cover letter example above.
You can do it with:
- A company press release or news item you read
- A big data analyst achievement that fits their job requirements
- Something cool you did in school that matches their needs
- A thing you love about the organization
- Your dreams or passions
Expert Hint: A study from IEEE shows data visualization is a key job skill for data analysts. If you’ve got facility with D3 or HighCharts, show it in your data analytics cover letter—especially if you’ve done great things with them.
4. Cite Relevant Data Analyst Skills & Achievements
Faced with a stack of applications, most managers do this—
- They glance at each cover letter.
- They read a couple bullet points from each resume.
- They move on to the next iteration.
To stop the loop, cut dark data from your data analyst cover letter.
In paragraph #2—
Add info from the job ad. Show big data achievements that fit the analytics skills they want.
Here’s an example:
Example Cover Letter for Data Analyst: Paragraph #2
Your job posting online says you need an analyst with a track record of [The 3 Skills They Need Most]. Here are a few of my past accomplishments that fit:
- [Data Analyst Skill #1]. [What You Did #1]
- [Data Analyst Skill #2]. [What You Did #2]
- [Data Analyst Skill #3]. [What You Did #3]
Expert Hint: Research by InsideBigData shows there’s a massive data analyst shortage. The problem? Salaries range from $46K to $96K. To get the highest-paying analytics jobs, your data analyst cover letter must show a significant difference from other applicants.
5. Execute Your Call to Action
The data analysts who get hired are storytellers.
Every story has a strong conclusion. So—
End your cover letter with a call-to-action.
Here’s a sample data analyst cover letter closing:
Sample Cover Letter for Data Analyst Jobs: Call to Action
I'm very interested in discussing [Company Name]’s requirements for a data analyst who can [A Couple Job Requirements from the Posting].
With ResumeLab’s resume builder you’ll write your resume in a flash. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Just pick one of 21 resume templates and get started now.
To write a cover letter for data analyst jobs:
- Format data analyst cover letters like ordinary business letters.
- Learn the hiring manager’s name and use it.
- Identify the data analyst position you’re vying for.
- Make a personal connection in your first paragraph.
- With paragraph #2, show you understand the job by listing matching achievements.
- End your cover letter for data analyst jobs with a call-to-action.
Need more cover letter related resources? See:
- 50 Microsoft Word Cover Letter Templates to Download for Free
- Is a Cover Letter Necessary?
- Email Cover Letter: 5 Samples & Quick Writing Guide
Do you have questions about writing cover letters? Need more cover letter samples for data analyst jobs? Let’s chat in the comments section. And thanks for reading!