Learn how to format a cover letter properly: from your cover letter layout and presentation to its contents. Get examples and cover letter formatting tips.
For how to end a cover letter—
- Blend in and be forgotten.
- Stand out in a bad way and get tossed.
- Stand out in a good way, with an offer the employer wants.
Let me show you what I mean.
This guide will show you:
- How to end a cover letter so employers want to meet you.
- Sample cover letter closings based on four irresistible offers.
- How to close a cover letter for paper and email.
- Why ending a cover letter with PS can get you hired.
Save hours of work and get a cover letter like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ cover letter templates and download your cover letter now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your cover letter.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous cover letter was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Here’s a sample cover letter ending with a hook:
How to End a Cover Letter Sample
2317 Nutter Street
Kansas City, MO 66210
PM Hiring Manager
Leadbetter Phair Construction, Inc.
1426 Traders Alley
Kansas City, MO 64108
Dear Ms. Dawes,
When I delivered two $2M+ projects 15 days ahead of schedule, the CEO of Litman, Scharf & Sons Inc. paid me a high compliment. He said, “You’re without a doubt the most effective employee I’ve ever had.”
In truth, it all came down to leadership and teamwork, including:
- Improving quality scores 34% in 1 year by managing our highly successful Lean Training program.
- Guiding cross-functional teams to slash costs 22% through our “Benchmarking to Learn” project.
- Increasing product efficiency 20% by gaining Scrum team buy-in across all departments.
With my 5+ years of experience in Scrum and project scheduling, I’m confident I can help meet Leadbetter Phair’s goals. That’s why I agreed when Bill Stevenson suggested I apply.
I’m excited to share ideas for slashing your costs 20% in the next six months.
PS—I’d be happy to explain why my strategic planning skills got me a Silver Toaster Award at the 2017 Northeast Lean Conference.
That’s ending a cover letter so employers want to talk to you.
Need more cover letter conclusiontips? Want cover letter ending examples you can use?
1. Always End a Cover Letter With a Promise
When employers read most cover letter closings, they think, So what?
Because most people don’t know how to end a cover letter. They say something generic like, “Thank you for your time.”
Lather, rinse, repeat.
Make an offer.
In the Closing Paragraph of a Cover Letter, Promise:
- To listen to their needs.
According to the best seller The Charisma Myth, the #1 factor of likability is how well you listen.
- A skill they want.
Cite metrics you’ve improved (costs, revenue, quality). Or mention an award, commendation, promotion, or even a high test score.
- You’ll grow into the role.
Employers love to hire someone who blossoms in the job. That employee is engaged, and sticks around.
Hiring managers love energy. Show it in your cover letter closing paragraph.
- To improve their metrics.
Have you got great ideas? Tease those when closing a cover letter. The hiring manager won’t want to miss the payoff.
In a survey of hiring managers, 60% said they read only personalized cover letters.
How to end cover letters with the tips above?
Scroll down for great cover letter closing statement examples.
Expert Hint: Should you put your best achievement in the closing paragraph of a cover letter? Nope. Save that for your snappy cover letter opening.
2. How to End a Cover Letter Examples
Here we go.
These five how to close a cover letter samples show how it’s done.
They take the how to end a cover letter tips above and make them sizzle.
- I’m interested in learning more about your traffic goals. Can we set aside some time to discuss how I can help?
- I’d love to show how slashing costs 35% at ATPZ sets me up to help with Dracos-Kent’s success.
- I believe my skills will grow exponentially at Accurit Global, because of your position on the cutting edge of non-US IT.
- I’m excited to hear more about this opening. I’ve read nothing but good things about working at Toll Brothers.
- I’d value the opportunity to share ideas for raising revenue 20% in the next five months.
Why do those cover letter conclusion examples work? They get the hiring manager excited about talking to you with a promise.
Expert Hint: The key with all the how to end cover letters examples above? Reinforce that you (1) understand the company and (2) are equipped to help.
3. What Goes After Cover Letter Closing Paragraphs
You’ve written a great cover letter ending.
Don’t just use a cover letter closing salutation.
Do like these closing cover letter sign offexamples:
Paper Cover Letter Closing Example
I look forward to hearing from you.
Email Cover Letter Enclosure Example
I look forward to speaking with you.
See that? You’re adding a reminder about next steps.
In an email letter, add:
- Portfolio website
Expert Hint: Watch out for automatic email signatures. They can piggyback on your perfect best wishes synonym and make you look awkward.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
4. Sincerely Synonyms for Ending a Cover Letter
Generic is bad.
But in a cover letter closing salutation, it’s OK.
Want sincerely synonyms anyway?
Here are 8 alternative cover letter closingexamples that work:
- Best regards,
- Warm regards,
- With thanks,
- Thank you,
- With best regards,
- Kind regards,
- With respect,
Any of those are professional and show you know how to end a cover letter the right way.
Expert Hint: There’s no way to stand out in a good way with sincerely synonyms. Your best bet? Don’t spend too much time agonizing over them.
5. How to Close a Cover Letter Without No-Nos
Don’t do it.
Resist the urge to be “different” for its own sake.
In a cover letter closing paragraph, “different” should mean, “more competent.”
Here are three big how to end cover letters mistakes:
- The pushy ending a cover letter method: I will make it rain all over your damn department!
- The needy boyfriend closing paragraph cover letter: Please, please give me the job. I really need this!!!
- The wacky closing cover letters method: Okay, enough with the yak yak, right? Let’s get on to the resume.
Those how to end a cover letter examples get attention like Steve Urkel.
Cover Letter Closing Salutations to Avoid
This may go without saying, but—
Shun these how to close a cover letter salutations like the plague.
- Take it easy,
- Have a nice day,
- Take care,
- Yours faithfully,
What’s wrong with those ways of closing a cover letter?
They’re a few degrees from professional. In the yours sincerely vs yours faithfully fight, sincerely always wins.
Expert Hint: One more closing line cover letter habit to avoid? The ever-boring “Thank you for your time.”
With ResumeLab’s resume builder you’ll write your resume in a flash. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Just pick one of 18 resume templates and get started now.
Here’s a recap of how to end a cover letter:
- End a cover letter with a promise. Promise listening, growth, enthusiasm, skills, or improving the company’s metrics.
- Use achievements in cover letter closing paragraphslike costs slashed, revenue raised, or quality improved.
- Include a “PS.” A closing for cover letters with PS draws the eye like a magnet. It can get the hiring manager to read your resume.
- Use a cover letter closing salutation sincerely synonym. Try best regards, warm regards, or the old standby sincerely.
Got more questions on how to end a cover letter? Want cover letter closing statement help? Leave a comment. We’re happy to reply.