Want to choose the best resume format? First, you must understand the differences between the three main types. See examples of various resume formats and make an informed choice.
You’ve found a Gucci-Westman-level makeup artist resume sample.
Do you wonder why it’s so hard to get hired?
It’s hard because there are only 3,000 makeup artist jobs in the US.
But lots of people want them.
So, every makeup job posting online gets a flood of applications.
How can you rise above it and give life to your job search?
With an HG resume for makeup artist jobs.
You’re about to see how.
In this guide:
- A makeup artist resume sample better than most.
- How to write a makeup artist resume with heart.
- How to sculpt your makeup artist job description.
- Why you can’t just list makeup artist skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder for free. Start by choosing a resume template.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you sure a resume for makeup artist jobs is right for you? See our guides:
- Acting Resume Template
- Hair Stylist Resume
- Esthetician Resume
- Fashion Resume
- Videographer Resume
- Graphic Designer Resume
- Production Assistant Resume
- Independent Contractor Resume
- Artist Resume
- Dance Resume
- Freelance Resume
- Film Industry Resume
- Filmaker Resume
- Brand Ambassador Resume
- Retail Resume
- Theater Resume
- 3d Artist Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples For Over 200 Jobs.
Makeup Artist Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Caring makeup artist with 6+ years of experience in application and sales. Seeking to delight beauty clients at Ariadne Elevated. Increased bookings by 33% in 3 months at Elektra Rising, thanks to excellent word of mouth. Sold $20K/mo of salon products.
Makeup Artist & Cosmetologist
Elektra Rising Salon & Spa
- Worked as makeup artist in an upscale salon with 500+ regular clients.
- Maintained list of 50+ regular clients.
- Sold $20,000+ per month of proprietary makeup products.
- Grew upselling revenue by 20% to $2,000 per month.
- Performed foundations, contouring, highlighting, shadowing, and bronzing on 15+ clients per day with 95% positive feedback.
- Implemented automatic notifications system that raised sales 10%.
- Increased bookings 33% in 3 months through word of mouth.
Hairstylist & Makeup Artist
Paul Dangleur Salon
Hairstylist with makeup clients in busy salon.
- Provided makeup and hair services to 20+ regular clients.
- Sold $1,000+ per week of proprietary salon products.
Freelance Makeup Artist
- Regular makeup artist for 15+ clients.
- Built Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter following of over 10,000 total based on posting before/after images of clients.
Pineville Beauty School
- Maintained a 4.0 average in sales and business classes.
- Excelled in makeup application and assessment.
Acadiana High School
- Performed makeup application for dances for 200+ students.
- Pursued a passion for art classes.
- Licensed cosmetologist, LBC.
- Professional Beauty Association member.
- 6,335 Instagram followers based on photos of my work.
- 4,897 Twitter followers in praise of my makeup applications.
- Mentor 8 professional makeup artists in application and sales.
- Lead weekly CrossFit sessions as self-care.
Hard Skills: beauty assessment, makeup application, permanent makeup, sales, facials
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, detail oriented, customer service, communication
Here’s how to write an on fleek makeup artist resume:
1. Start with a Clean Makeup Artist Resume Format
Let’s lay the foundation.
You’d never send a client out with too much concealer.
So don’t turn in a dragged-out makeup artist resume.
Your resume formatting should shout your winning features from the rooftops.
Use these tips:
Makeup Artist Resume Format
- Create a 1–page resume for makeup artist jobs.
- Set 1-inch margins.
- Select a striking resume font like 11–14pt Helvetica or Didot.
- Add white space to set off your text.
- Make resume sections for Heading, Summary, History, Education, and Skills.
- Put your work history in reverse-chronological resume order.
- Look winsome on all devices with a PDF resume.
2. Write a Makeup Artist Resume Objective or Summary
The hard truth:
Salon and film production managers don’t read most resumes. They glance.
Then they read more if they like what they see.
- An adjective (talented, caring)
- “Makeup artist”
- Years of experience (1+, 6+)
- What you’ll do & for whom (delight beauty clients at Ariadne Elevated...)
- Best makeup resume accomplishments(Sold $20K/mo of salon products...)
See these makeup artist resume examples:
Makeup Artist Resume Summary—Example
Those are both lit!
But the second of our makeup artist resume samples just promises skills.
The first de-pots your career with 33% and $20K per month.
Details like that will make production managers notice you.
But hold on!
What if your makeup artist experience isn’t ready for prime time?
You can still boost your bottom line. See these beginner resume samples for makeup artist jobs:
Freelance Makeup Artist Resume Objective
Neither of those is gag-inducing.
But the first of those self-taught makeup artist resume examples with no experience has proof.
The numbers and freelance experience make the difference.
3. Customize Your Makeup Artist Job Description and Skills
What skills can’t a resume for makeup artist jobs live without?
Here’s a resume skills list:
Makeup Artist Resume Skills
Salon Product Knowledge
But stop a sec—
Don’t layer all those into a resume for makeup artist jobs. You’ll look overdone.
These makeup artist resume samples show how:
For a job that wants skills in sales, upselling, customer satisfaction, and word of mouth.
Makeup Artist Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
Both of those makeup artist resume examples are Mario Dedivanovic-level. But—
The second doesn’t have the numbers, and it doesn’t fit the job ad.
What if you’re an entry-level makeup artist?
A resume for a job with no experience can still have game.
See these freelance makeup artist resume examples with no experience. They’re for a position that needs expert makeup application and teamwork skills.
Beginner Makeup Artist Resume Job Description [Sample]
The second of those freelance makeup artist resume samples is great—for a job waiting tables!
The first shows the correct skills with numbers to add oomph.
And look what it did with teamwork in the restaurant role!
Expert Hint: Research by Statista shows 85% of makeup artist jobs are in the motion picture industry. But broadening your search to “beauty advisor” or “beauty consultant” can turn up an army of local jobs. Just be sure to tweak your resume for makeup artist jobs with the right job title.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Sculpt a Flawless Education Section
The education section in a resume for makeup artist positions is extra. Right?
Not if you want the job.
Put makeup artist skills in your resume education section.
Watch what this freelance makeup artist resume sample does:
Makeup Artist Resume Example—Education
It packs in sales, assessment, makeup application, and creativity.
Do that with your makeup artist resume and you’ll get tons of callbacks.
Expert Hint: Are you making a makeup artist resume for MAC? Sift through the MAC job offer. It’ll have all the skills you need to show your talents.
5. Add Highlights to Your Makeup Artist Resume
Who does the production or salon manager want to hire?
Someone she wants to work with.
Prove that’s you by adding extras to your resume for makeup artist jobs.
- Certifications (Cosmetology, nail technician, etc.)
- Instagram account and other social media
- Awards or honors
- Professional associations (PBA, etc.)
- Media mentions
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities (a catchall for a little of each)
See these makeup artist resume examples:
Makeup Artist Resume—Other Sections
That’s before & after.
The first of those makeup artist resume samples has allure.
What about example #2?
Well—dancing isn’t bad, if you can use it to show leadership, teamwork, or other transferable skills. But you need to add details to do it right.
For instance? Maybe you taught dancing lessons. Or started up a dog walking group.
Expert Hint: Do you know how to write a cover letter to accompany your resume for makeup artist jobs? It's worth creating one. Use it to show you care about the things the hiring manager cares about—and you excel at them.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a makeup artist resume:
- Start with a makeup artist resume template. Beautify it with your top makeup artist achievements.
- Add makeup artist skills like makeup application and product sales. Include numbers to prove those skills have legs.
- Write a makeup artist resume objective to highlight your most attractive features.
- Add extras like a PBA membership, certifications, or your Instagram account.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for makeup artist jobs? Not sure how to put makeup artist on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.