Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
This line cook resume sample shows your talents to the head chef.
Why does that matter?
So many other cooks are fighting for that line cook job. And—
The head chef has a smorgasbord of resumes to pick from.
You have to look like Gruyere fritters with chili and lime on a table full of Spam.
You can do this. You’ve got the skills.
Pick the right line cook achievements, and you’ll be plying that Damascus Steel in no time.
In this guide:
- A line cook resume sample better than most.
- How to write a tantalizing line cook resume.
- How to make a line cook job description for resumes that gets interviews.
- Why you can’t just list line cook skills (and what to do instead).
What does a perfect resume for a line cook look like? See below—
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for some other kind of food-service resume? See our guides:
- Chef Resume Sample
- Food Service Resume Sample
- McDonald's Resume Sample
- Barista Resume Sample
- Bartender Resume Sample
- Restaurant (General) Resume Sample
- Restaurant Manager Resume Sample
- Server Resume Sample
- Dishwasher Resume Sample
- Waiter / Waitress Resume Sample
- Hospitality Resume Sample
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our professional resume examples.
Line Cook Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Dependable line cook with 7+ years of experience creating memorable meals in a fast-paced environment. Seeking to wow customers at Leedio. At The Candied Dragon, promoted to head line cook in 6 months for teamwork, efficiency, and consistency.
The Candied Dragon, Los Angeles, CA
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Prepped veggies, sauces, and meats in a 40-seat restaurant with several multi-ethnic specials daily. Specialized in beef and seafood.
- Awarded busy weekend night shifts by head chef for consistent efficiency, attention to detail, teamwork, and positive attitude.
- Promoted to head line cook after 6 months for consistent high-quality work even in busy times. Frequently pitched in to help bussers.
Worked with local farmers to create food-waste reclamation and reimbursement effort. Recouped $1,000 a month in food waste.
The Sotted Gorgon, Los Angeles, CA
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Prepared and plated all food in 25-seat Greek restaurant during dinner and lunch shifts, facilitating 5-star ratings in Yelp and Google.
- Introduced new sauces and side-dishes, 5 of which were adopted for the permanent menu. Commended by manager for creativity.
Worked with vendors to source better quality ingredients at a 15% savings over old arrangements, saving $1,500 a month for restaurant.
AA Culinary Arts
Los Angeles Trade-Tech, Los Angeles, CA
- Excelled in hot & cold sauce preparation.
- Pursued a passion for farm-to-table cooking.
2018 ServSafe - NRA
2017 First Aid & CPR - American Red Cross
- Volunteer 2x per month to cook chowder at Vine Valley Shelter.
- Mentor 15 line cooks in food preparation best practices.
Hard Skills: French food, Greek food, gas grill, food safety, training, sauces
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, collaboration, listening, communication
Here’s how to write a line cook resume that satisfies:
1. Use the Best Line Cook Resume Format
Presentation and plating can make or break a meal.
It’s the same with resume formatting.
The reverse-chronological format for a resume is the most respected.
Complete it with these tips:
Line Cook Resume Format
- Make a 1-inch margin all around the page.
- Pick a pleasing resume font like 11–14pt Trebuchet or Verdana.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Leave white space so the chef de cuisine won’t have to squint.
- Make your resume length 1–2 pages depending on your work history.
- Save your resume as a PDF. Those suit every type of screen.
Expert Hint: The ToastRestaurant Technology Industry Report shows 95% of restaurant owners say technology improves business efficiency. Check the job posting for job requirements in tech or computers. If you find them, show past tech achievements in your line cook resume.
2. Make a Line Cook Resume Objective or Summary
You’d never serve unappetizing food.
Your line cook resume should be love at first bite too.
- An adjective (dependable, efficient)
- “line cook”
- Years of experience (1+, 6+)
- Who & how you’ll help (wow customers at Leedio)
- Some resume achievements—your best line cook moments (promoted to head line cook in 6 months...)
Write it last so you’ll have all the right ingredients.
See these line cook resume examples:
Line Cook Resume Summary—Example
The raw truth?
The second of those line cook resume samples says you’ll wow customers. The first gives a taste you’ve done it.
Maybe your restaurant career is still a little undercooked?
See this entry-level resume for line cooks:
Entry-Level Line Cook Resume Objective
The second of those entry-level line cook resume examples says, “Expert at creating sauces.” But she’s a dishwasher.
The first shows real line-cook achievements.
Expert Hint: According to the National Restaurant Association, 80% of restaurant owners started in entry-level jobs. That means you’ve got a sympathetic ear. To get the job, show you’re a go-getter with specific food-service achievements.
3. Target Your Line Cook Job Description and Skills Section
What line cook skills belong on resumes?
See this list:
Line Cook Resume Skills
Radio & TV Marketing
Sales Funnel Management
A line cook job is like a restaurant guest.
Each one wants something different.
Find out what resume skills they want by looking in the job ad.
See these sample resume job descriptions for a line cook:
The restaurant wants a line cook who can prep veggies and is efficient and consistent. Oh and food-waste reduction is a plus!
Line Cook Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The best part?
The second of those line cook resume examples is common. Be like example #1 and you’ll stand out like Gordon Ramsay at McDonald’s.
Are you just thawing out your line cook career?
A resume with no experience can still knock ‘em flat.
See these line cook resume examples with no experience:
The job wants food prep and plating, a strong work ethic, and teamwork skills.
Entry-Level Line Cook Resume Job Description [Sample]
Expert Hint: Harvard research shows a 1-star boost to a restaurant’s Yelp reviews can jack up profits by 9%. If you’ve helped raise online reviews, that’s a great perk for your line cook resume.
4. Sweeten Your Education Section
Some line cook jobs need cooking school degrees. Some don’t.
No part of your resume for line cook jobs should be bland.
Even the education section of your resume needs to convince them you can handle grills and ovens.
This line cook resume sample shows how:
Line Cook Resume Example—Education
Not one of those “cooking school” line cooks? You can find standout achievements in your high school education that show teamwork and work ethic.
5. Add “Other” Sections to Your Line Cook Resume
You’re almost there.
Let’s make your resume for line cook jobs shine like Mario Batali.
Certifications, foreign languages, and other bits of flavor can impress the restaurant manager.
As your resume extra sections you can add:
See these line cook resume examples:
Line Cook Resume—Other Sections
That first line cook resume sample is mouthwatering. It shows a cook who cares about her job.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your resume for line cook jobs. Make it fit the menu by talking about what the restaurant wants, then showing you’ve got that in stock.
Haven't written your cover letter yet? See:
Here’s how to write a line cook resume:
- Start with our line cook resume template. Add achievements from your cooking career.
- List line cook skills like styles of cooking or food safety, with numbers to prove you’re up there with Ina Garten.
- Write a line cook resume summary up top. Use it to showcase your biggest crowd-pleasers.
- Add “bonus” resume sections to prove you know a barding from beurre blanc.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for line cook jobs? Not sure how to put line cook on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!