Need an easy trick to boost your resume? Replace boring phrases with resume action words, power words, and adjectives for resume. Make your resume sound like a bestseller.
Each program has its own beginning in the first line of code. And you, too, must take the first step towards becoming a software engineer. How to do it best?
On top of working on your education and personal projects, make a software engineer intern resume and send it to gain valuable experience.
In this guide:
- A professional software engineer intern resume sample.
- How to write the perfect software engineering internship resume.
- Skills & job description to make the perfect software engineer intern resume.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for other IT jobs? Read any of these guides:
- Computer Science Resume Guide
- Data Analyst Resume Examples
- Entry-Level IT Resume Sample
- Entry-Level Software Engineer Resume
- Front-End Developer Resume Sample
- IT Director Resume Example
- Network Administrator Resume
- Resume for a Web Developer
- Resume Sample for Cybersecurity
- Tech Support Resume Sample
Software Engineer Internship Resume Sample
Software Engineer Intern
Driven undergraduate software engineering student seeking internship opportunity at Colored Hats. Skilled in Python, Ruby & SQL. Actively contributes to over 8 GitHub libraries. Developed and uploaded over 12 gaming mods on Nexus.
Bachelor of Computer Science
The University of Texas in Austin
Expected Graduation: May 2024
- GPA: 3.8
- Relevant coursework: Data Structures and Algorithms, Database Systems, Operating Systems, Object-Oriented Programming, Computer Networks
Software Engineering Intern
InControl, Austin, TX
March 2022–February 2023
- Assisted senior software engineers in developing and testing software applications.
- Troubleshot known issues, solving approximately 40 problems every week.
- Participated in bi-weekly code reviews.
- Developed and implemented automated testing scripts using Selenium WebDriver.
- Web Development
- Database Management
- Time Management
Languages & Software
- PCAP—Certified Associate in Python Programming, Python Institute, April 2021
- PCEP—Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer, Python Institute, June 2020
- Created 12 gaming mods for Skyrim, Kenshi, and Starsector, which were downloaded in total over 100,000 times
- Contributes to 8 GitHub libraries specializing in Python applications and extensions.
Software engineers design, develop, test, and maintain software systems and applications. They use programming languages to create apps that meet the various needs of businesses and individuals. Software engineer interns need skills in coding, problem-solving, and a passion for new technologies.
Here’s how to write a bug-free software engineer intern resume:
1. Set a Clean Software Engineer Intern Resume Format
Software engineers, and other IT specialists, are among the most desirable jobs in the world. And it’s no surprise, with a median salary in the US being above $100,000 annually. So, how can you climb the ladder of success in this field? By writing a software engineer intern resume and gaining vital experience.
First, you must structure your resume just like you would a section of code. Here’s how to keep your software engineer intern resume format clean and clear:
- Use the chronological resume format to show your most recent accomplishments first.
- Choose a readable resume font like Cambria in 10–12pt.
- Set the resume margins to 1 inch to leave white space showing.
- Submit a one-page resume. This is the best resume length that proves you know how to organize and stay organized.
- Put the education section above your work experience, and make a resume objective statement on top.
- Make sure you list software you’ve mastered, especially those required by the company.
- Show experience outside of work with additional resume sections: Certifications, Personal projects, and others.
When you’re done writing, save your resume as a PDF. This way, you ensure everything on your software engineer internship resume stays the same way you first wrote it. And if you’re looking for more general tips for a resume for an internship, check out the linked guide.
2. Start With an Enticing Software Engineer Intern Resume Objective
Since you’re applying for a software engineering internship, there is only one way to start your resume. And that is with a resume objective. It’s a type of resume profile that’s perfect for entry-level positions and internships. With an objective upfront, your software engineer intern resume will instantly show the hiring manager why you’re the best fit.
For an effective software engineering internship resume, use:
- One adjective (efficient, dedicated, results-driven)
- Job title (Software engineer intern)
- What you wish to accomplish (seeking internship opportunity at Colored Hats.)
- 1-3 skills/software the company wants (Skilled in Python, Ruby & SQL)
- Nicest 1–2 achievements (Actively contributes to over 8 GitHub libraries, Developed and uploaded over 12 gaming mods on Nexus.)
Expert Hint: The fastest way to write a resume objective for a software engineer internship is to write it last. When you have the rest of your resume filled, it’s much easier to pick highlight-worthy skills and achievements.
3. Write a Strong Intern Resume Education Section
Although you can become a fully-fledged software engineer without a degree, attending university can be greatly beneficial. Any IT-related degree can be a strong foundation upon which you can later build your career. And it gives you the opportunity to participate in many interesting projects. On top of all that, universities usually make it easier to find an internship.
So, when writing your software engineering intern resume education section, you shouldn’t just write where you’re attending and what your major is. That’s not enough. Show your dedication to software engineering by adding something more: relevant coursework, university projects, awards, or GPA (if it's high). If you’re still attending college, provide the estimated graduation date.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Include a Job Description for Your Software Engineer Intern Resume, and Add Desirable Skills & Software
Since you’re writing a software engineering internship resume, you might not have any previous work experience. Or you may have had a job that is irrelevant to the software engineering field. If that’s the case, you might completely skip your resume work experience section. But if you had a job as a software engineer intern or worked a different IT job, you should absolutely showcase them in this section.
Here’s how to choose & write the most relevant software engineer intern resume achievements:
- Read the job ad carefully.
- Find resume keywords hidden in the ad. They take the form of duties and responsibilities that are expected of you.
- Remember the times you used them to provide results for the company.
- Write resume bullets that show those things and, if possible, quantify them.
What else is extremely important to employers? Of course, your skills. A software developer internship resume can’t function without them. So make a nice list of 5–10 relevant software engineering resume skills. You can use the list below for reference:
Software Engineer Intern Skills for Resume
- Open Source Programming
- Data Analysis
- Data Science
- Database Management
- Machine Learning
- Software Design and Testing
- Critical Thinking
- Creative Thinking
- Analytical Thinking
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Web Development
- Time Management
- Communication Skills
- IT Skills
- Decision Making
And a cherry on top: programming languages and software. There are no direct guidelines for listing them, but show roughly 4–8. When deciding which ones to include, go for those you are most proficient with and those that the employer wants the most. Don’t forget about this section. It’s critical when making a software engineer internship resume.
5. Increase Your Software Developer Intern Resume Value With Bonus Sections
A good extension can raise the utility of an app exponentially—
And bonus sections do the same for your software engineering internship resume! With them, you can leave the competition in the dust. As long as you let relevance guide you, of course. Remember, your employer will love that you’re Python certified. But they will probably not care about your fishing license.
As for what sections you can include, go for 1–2 of these:
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies & Activities
- Professional References
- Volunteer Work
Expert Hint: One last thing remains, and that’s to include a matching cover letter to your software engineer intern resume. You can be certain every recruiter will be expecting one, even if the job ad makes no mention of it. If you’re not proficient in writing cover letters, read our guide to learn how to write a cover letter.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a high-quality software engineering internship resume that lands you a job:
- Use the software developer intern resume template above. It’s clean, formatted, and fits on one page.
- Craft the best software developer resume objective for an internship.
- Code in relevant software engineer skills, software, and programming languages. Scan through the job offer for keywords, and show exactly what the company wants.
- Write a cover letter for a software engineering internship. In it, prove your skills and motivations further, and show the company how exactly it will benefit from hiring you.
And that’s how you write a professional resume for a software developer intern. Do you have any questions about writing an objective for the resume? Not sure how to show skills on the software engineering internship on your resume? Leave a comment. We’ll gladly help.
About ResumeLab’s Editorial Process
At ResumeLab, quality is at the crux of our values, supporting our commitment to delivering top-notch career resources. The editorial team of career experts carefully reviews every article in accordance with editorial guidelines, ensuring the high quality and reliability of our content. We actively conduct original research, shedding light on the job market's intricacies and earning recognition from numerous influential news outlets. Our dedication to delivering expert career advice attracts millions of readers to our blog each year.