How do you write a resume? With so many conflicting opinions out there, we’ve set out to find the ultimate answer to this question.
You’ve installed a fair share of plumbing systems and have all the necessary certifications. Now you want to land a better job. The only problem is, you’ve sent out a bunch of applications and your phone’s still dead silent.
But don’t worry, we got you covered. Review and re-fit your plumber resume to showcase your skills and watch interview invitations pour in!
In this article:
- A plumber resume sample that will land you the job.
- How to write the perfect job description on a plumber's resume.
- How to write a resume for a plumber that gets the interview.
- Expert tips and examples to boost your chances of landing a plumber job.
Save hours of work and get a job-winning resume like this. Try our resume builder with 20+ resume templates and create your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Thinking about applying for a range of positions? Check out our guides:
- Construction Project Manager Resume
- Construction Resume
- Delivery Driver Resume
- Electrician Resume
- Engineering Internship Resume
- Engineering Resume
- High School Graduate Resume
- HVAC Technician Resume
- Maintenance Resume
- Best Resumes for Every Job
Plumber Resume Sample
Plumbing Service Technician
Phone no.: 316-292-6554
Efficient plumber with 6+ years of experience working in large facilities. Eager to support DRAW Home Services in delivering high-quality work and completing projects ahead of schedule. At McFadden Plumbing, completed projects 25% faster than other crew members with 10% fewer errors.
McFadden Plumbing, Orlando, FL
June 2016–December 2021
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Provided timely and accurate installation by following company standards and procedures.
- Served customers by analyzing work orders, following daily travel schedules, listening to customer concerns, performing designated work, and proactively solving problems.
- Kept personal tools and equipment operable and up to date.
- Maintained 95% customer satisfaction rates while performing duties 25% faster than the company average.
Modesty Home Solutions, Tampa, FL
April 2014–May 2016
Key Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Completed at least 30 client calls per week.
- Installed new plumbing systems on 20 new homes.
- Diagnosed and repaired residential and commercial plumbing of all types, including water heaters, drains, faucets, toilets, and pumps.
Plumber Apprentice Program
Northwood Technical College, Rice Lake, WI
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills
- Drain cleaning
- Residential service repair
- Residential retrofit service
- Strong work ethic
- Commercial Driver License, Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 2016
- Certified Plumbing Contractor, State of Florida, Department of Business and Professional Regulation, 2015
A plumber specializes in servicing, installing, and maintaining plumbing systems. Plumbers have to be skilled in reading blueprints and planning procedures. The purpose of your plumber resume is to highlight your technical qualifications and abilities, alongside soft skills needed for the job.
Here’s how to write a plumber resume that gets the job:
1. Use the Best Plumber Resume Format
Before installing pipes and drains, you need to read the blueprints.
Otherwise, you’d probably end up with a shower in the living room.
In other words, understanding a blueprint is the key to success.
The same rule applies to your plumbing resume. Make your resume clean, clear, and easy to read.
- Use the reverse-chronological resume format to show your most recent experience first.
- Go with a legible resume font, for example, Calibri or Arial.
- Apply 1-inch resume margins on all sides of your document.
- Watch your resume length. Put all the essential information on one page.
- Divide your resume into these sections: Header, Summary, Experience, Education, Skills, and Additional.
But sometimes, companies use ATS (Applicant Tracking Systems) that prefer another file type.
Consult the job ad before you save your perfectly formatted plumber resume.
Expert Hint: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of plumbers will grow by 5% from 2020 to 2030. That means the competition will get fierce. Using the easy-to-read resume format will increase your chances of getting hired significantly.
2. Write an Attention-Grabbing Plumber Resume Objective or Summary
How do you introduce yourself when meeting new colleagues?
Are you confident, or do you mumble and look away?
Your resume needs to show confidence and inspire trust right from the start.
And the good news is that you can quickly achieve this by writing an attention-grabbing resume profile.
If you already have some experience, start with a professional resume summary statement.
- One adjective (hard-working, reliable, diligent)
- Job title (Plumber)
- Years of experience (2+, 3+)
- What you can do to help (provide timely and accurate installations)
- Two or three of your most flashy achievements (perform duties 25% faster than company average while maintaining 95% client satisfaction scores)
What to do if you don’t have enough experience to write a resume summary?
Opt for resume objective statement instead.
Focus on any transferable skills, internships, or volunteer work that shows you’re a good fit for the job you’re applying for.
Expert Hint: Are you stuck with writing your resume profile? Do it at the very end. That way, you’ll have everything you need to succeed.
3. Add the Perfect Plumber Job Description and Skills Sections
How to demonstrate you are the perfect candidate for the job?
How to write a job description for a plumber:
- Re-read the job ad.
- List all the skills and requirements needed. These will serve as your resume keywords.
- Think of times you’ve shown those skills in the past and impressed your supervisors.
- Write bullet points that briefly describe those achievements; use numbers and action words.
Remember to target your resume to the specific job ad. You probably accumulated a lot of skills, so choose those that are relevant to your dream job.
One more thing—you’ll need a resume skills section.
Go back to your list of skills mentioned in the job ad and compare it with the skills you have. Pick 5–10 matches and put those on your resume. And done! A tailored skills section.
Keep in mind that great plumbers have more than the hard skills needed to do the job—soft skills, like communication, are also important. Check out this list of professional skills for plumbers:
Plumber Resume Skills
- Light wiring
- Cleaning pipes
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Computer Skills
- Technical Skills
- Time Management Skills
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
4. Turn Your Education into Another Reason to Hire You
Whatever your educational background is, do it justice with a well-written resume education section.
If you have some experience, simply state the school name, degree, and graduation date for the highest level of schooling.
5. Boost Your Plumber Resume with Extra Sections
On average, recruitment managers spend just a few seconds reading a resume.
Make every second count.
Add one or two extra sections to show all your strengths and land the dream job.
- Additional Activities
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies and Interests
- Professional References
And last but not least—write a cover letter that will accompany your resume. Explain why you want the job and why you’re the perfect fit.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter generator and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There's 21 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a job-winning plumber resume, remember to:
- Use the plumber resume template above. It will help you organize your resume sections and be easy to read by ATS and hiring managers.
- List your most impressive achievements in your resume profile and job section. Show you have what it takes to become the next plumber on the crew.
- Target your resume skills sections to the job ad. Focus on the skills mentioned in the job ad and add some numbers to show your expertise.
- Add a plumber cover letter to your resume. Show your passion and dedication to the job to increase your chances of getting hired.
Do you still have some questions about writing your plumber resume? Drop us a line below. We’d love to hear from you and are ready to chat.