Choose the right resume format and make sure your resume looks professional. Check actionable resume formatting tips and resume formats examples & templates.
Below, you’ll see an AAOx3 lifeguard resume sample.
Why is it a lifesaver?
Because employers know anyone can sit near a pool.
To get hired, your resume needs to get attention like an air horn.
Ready? Let’s swim it to the wall.
In this guide:
- A lifeguard resume sample better than most.
- How to write a lifeguard resume that gets interviews.
- How to commit your lifeguard job description to the job.
- Why you can’t just list lifeguard skills (and what to do instead).
Will you have every achievement in this resume for lifeguard jobs?
But as you read it, you’ll think of dozens more you do have. They will get you hired.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Lifeguard Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Physically fit, observant lifeguard with 1 year of experience in basic life support and water rescue. Eager to deliver safety excellence at Lee Lanes Pool. At LaFayette Public Pool, spotted and prevented 2 dry-drownings and treated 7 cases of hypothermia.
2019 – Lifeguard Certification, American Red Cross
LaFayette Public Pool
- Served as lifeguard in busy pool. Provided monitoring, rule enforcement, rescue, and customer service to users and birthday parties.
- Ensured pool rules were followed by adults and minors with no complaints. Commended by supervisor for interpersonal skills.
- Spotted 7 hypothermic children, removed them from the pool, and provided basic life support, averting serious incidents.
- Spotted 2 dry drownings in process and delivered life support.
- Escalated 5 serious issues to EMS.
- Raised pool rules compliance to 99% through suggestion and implementation of new, easier to read signage, strategically placed.
Lake Obsoquami County Swimming Area
- Provided lifeguarding services to groups of 12+ students.
- Ensured swimming area rules were followed.
Springfield High School
- Captain of swim team, 2017 & 2018.
- Led team in stretches and organized meet lineups.
- Taught swimming to children, providing lifeguarding.
Competition Swimmer, 2019
- Participate in 3x 50-mile swims per year.
- 4th runner-up in the Missouri Water Marathon 2019.
Leader, Springfield Swimming Club
- Organize group of 15+ swimmers in weekly workouts.
- Manage 5 competition swimming events per year.
- Created and run annual Springfield Water Fling with 800+ participants.
Lifesaving & Swimming Merit Badges, BSA
Hard Skills: basic life support, water rescue, enforcing swimming rules, lifeguard certification, strong swimmer
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, attention to detail, physical stamina, communication
Trying to figure out how to describe lifeguard on a resume? See this guide: Career Change Resume Sample & Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our resume samples.
Here’s how to write a lifeguard resume that works like a cigarette boat:
1. Use the Right Lifeguard Resume Format
Cue Jaws music.
A lifeguard resume with shady resume formatting will go under fast.
Use these formatting tips to stay afloat:
Lifeguard Resume Format
- Start with a resume font like 11–14pt Goudy Old Style or Didot.
- Create a one–page resume for lifeguard jobs.
- List previous roles in reverse-chronological resume order.
- Leave white space to add breathing room.
- Write resume sections for Heading, Summary, Experience, Education, and Skills.
Expert Hint: PDF resumes are your best bet. They look trim and clear on all display types. Plus, ATS hiring software reads them just fine.
2. Write a Lifeguard Resume Objective or Summary
Sink or swim time:
Most hiring teams go through stacks of resumes like water.
They spend extra time with resumes for lifeguards that catch their eye.
- An adjective (physically fit, observant, certified)
- Years of experience (1+, 3+)
- What you’ll do for whom (deliver safety excellence at Lee Lanes Pool...)
- Best resume accomplishments(treated 7 cases of hypothermia...)
See these lifeguard resume examples:
Lifeguard Resume Summary—Example
Both lifeguard resume samples promise skills.
But the first does more. It shows 1 year of experience, 2 dry-drownings stopped, and 7 cases of hypothermia treated.
“Hey, hang on! Who’s that, David Hasselhoff? I’m a newbie lifeguard!”
See these entry-level resume samples for lifeguard jobs:
Entry-Level Lifeguard Resume Objective
Night and day.
Entry-level lifeguard resume examples won’t float without at least a few achievements.
3. Target Your Lifeguard Job Description and Skills
What skills do you need in a resume for lifeguard jobs?
See this resume skills list:
Lifeguard Resume Skills
Enforcing Pool Rules
Basic Life Support
Attention to Detail
Rescue Cans and Boards
Don’t oversaturate your resume for lifeguard jobs with skills.
These lifeguard resume samples show how:
For a job that wants skills in enforcing rules, swimmer identification, and communicating with EMS:
Lifeguard Job Description for a Resume [Sample]
The first of those lifeguarding resume examples answers the listed needs.
The last one doesn’t. It could also use some numbers like 7, 2, 5, and 99%.
Is your lifeguard experience barely treading water?
In a resume for entry-level applicants, just strut the best stuff you have.
See these entry-level lifeguard resume examples. The job needs skills in basic life support, enforcing rules, and teamwork.
Beginner Lifeguard Resume Job Description [Sample]
The first of those school lifeguard resume samples is afloat.
But even the second scores a point with teamwork skills.
Expert Hint: Research by the CDC shows 1% of rescues made by lifeguards save lives. Showing past rescues on a resume for lifeguard jobs is a great way to prove your value.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Write a Buoyant Education Section
You don’t need education in a resume for lifeguard jobs. But—
If you’ve got it, show it the right way.
Show school accomplishments that matter for lifeguards (if you have some).
See this lifeguard resume sample:
Lifeguard Resume Example—Education
That adds key swimming skills to your resume.
If you’re in college, list that too, with “expected completion date.”
5. Add “Bonus” Sections to Your Lifeguard Resume
What’s the burning question on the hiring manager’s mind?
“Can she do the job or not?”
Your work experience goes a long way toward an answer.
But your lifeguard duties resume needs as many “wins” as possible.
Add material like:
- Certifications (Red Cross, ALA, etc.)
- Associations (ALA, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Freelance work
- Awards or honors
- Additional activities
- Languages you speak
See these lifeguard resume examples:
Lifeguard Resume—Other Sections
First, meet last.
The first of those lifeguard resume samples is Mark-Spitz-level. It proves you care about your work.
But put your certification right up top in your resume for lifeguard jobs.
Expert Hint: Add a cover letter to your resume for lifeguard jobs. Show enthusiasm for the job, and your top two or three lifeguarding achievements.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s how to write a lifeguard resume:
- Use a lifeguard resume template. Breathe life into it with your best lifeguard accomplishments.
- Add lifeguard skills like basic life support and water rescue. Add numbers where possible for scale.
- Write a lifeguard resume objective that gives a view into your resume’s greatest hits.
- Add other sections for your lifeguard certifications or fitness pursuits.
Got questions on how to write good resumes for lifeguard jobs? Not sure how to describe lifeguard on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!