Choosing the best resume format might be tricky. Follow our tips and learn the difference between different resume formats and how to choose the best format for your resume.
Here’s what you don’t want:
They read your resume.
They think, “Hmm. Let’s see the next one.”
They forget about you and hire somebody else.
You need to stand out like an ADT alarm.
That’s where this tailored security guard resume comes in.
In this guide:
- A security guard resume sample better than most.
- How to make a compelling security guard job description for resumes.
- How to write a resume for security guard jobs that lands interviews.
- Why you can’t just list security guard skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Are you coming to security jobs from the DoD world? See our guide: Military to Civilian Resume Sample & Guide
Angling for a career change? Wondering how to put security guard on a resume? See this guide: Resume for a Career Change Sample & Guide
Want to devote your life to keeping others safe from harm? Have a look at our guides:
- Dispatcher Resume
- Security Officer Resume
- Firefighter Resume
- Maintenance Technician Resume
- Police Officer Resume
- Landscaping Resume
- Forklift Operator Resume
- HVAC Technician Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples for Over 200 Jobs.
Security Guard Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
Licensed Security Guard
Licensed, unarmed security guard. Seeking to use proven patrolling skills to provide security for Mall of America. At Brancaccio Security, patrolled properties for 4 clients with zero breaches despite 5–10 attempts per month. Resolved 10 conflicts with community members. Responded to calls 15% faster than average.
- Security Guard Card
- Registered Security Guard, West Virginia
Unarmed Security Guard
- Patrolled facilities for 4 clients. Presided over a period of zero breaches in spite of 5–10 attempts each month.
- Wrote daily reports to document activity. Three reports obtained convictions in key criminal court cases.
- Resolved conflicts with aggressive community members peacefully on 10 separate occasions through strong interpersonal skills.
- Responded to distress calls 15% faster than average.
- Commended 3x by upper management for judgement.
- Used surveillance equipment to monitor premises. Collaborated with law enforcement to identify attempted intruder.
Freelance Security Guard
- Provided security for Saldana Chocolate Fest and 2 other events.
- Recognized for professionalism by 3 clients.
- Resolved 15 conflicts before they could turn physical.
- Maintained 100% accurate documentation of all shifts.
North Buncombe High
- Favorite classes: Spanish 1–4.
- Member, varsity football team.
- Completed active shooter training from ALICE Institute.
- Avid trail runner.
Make chili 1x per month at Ashe County Shelter.
Hard Skills: patrolling, conflict resolution, camera monitoring, creating reports
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, efficiency, attention to detail
Now, here’s how to write a security guard resume that works:
1. Choose the Right Security Guard Resume Format
They won’t hire sloppy.
Security guard resumes have to follow protocol.
The format of your resume is mission-critical.
Use these tips:
Security Guard Resume Format
- Write a single-page resume.
- Set margins at one inch.
- Leave white space between paragraphs.
- Format your resume in reverse-chronological order.
- Use a clean resume font like 10–12pt Noto or Calibri.
- Include these sections in your resume: Heading, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- Save resumes as PDFs. They look sharp on any screen and ATS can read them.
Expert Hint:Security guards make $23K to $55K per year. That’s a HUGE range. Aim high with the best resume for security guard jobs you can write.
2. Write a Security Guard Resume Objective or Summary
The manager has dozens of security guard resumes.
There’s no way he’ll read them all.
You’ve got to catch his eye.
That’s just the first paragraph of “greatest hits.”
- An adjective (licensed, dependable)
- The words “security guard”
- Years of experience (1+, 3+)
- How and who you’ll help (deliver professionalism at Brancaccio security)
- Your best security guard moments (patrolled for 4 clients with zero breaches...)
Write it last to save on head-scratching time.
These security resume examples show the procedure:
Security Guard Resume Summary—Example
What’s the difference?
That first example blows the second one away. It has numbers, details, and evidence.
An entry-level security guard resume should still have proof.
Entry-Level Security Guard Resume Objective
The second of those entry-level security guard resume examples says you’ve got it all.
But there’s no proof.
Expert Hint: Find security guard jobs on Google jobs, Indeed, or iHireSecurity. But don’t apply there. Applying on the company’s own site gets you out of the spam pool.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, and highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You're the perfect candidate, and we'll prove it. Use our resume builder now.
3. Clean up Your Security Guard Job Description and Skills Section
Here’s how to stand out:
Most security guard resumes have generic job descriptions.
They make employers shrug.
With some tweaks you’ll look like a freshly dry-cleaned uniform.
To write a great security guard job description:
- Know the right skills by looking at the job ad.
- Put them in your bullet points as resume keywords.
- Tell the result you had when you used those skills.
Do it like the first of these security guard resume samples:
Pretend the job ad wants these security guard skills: patrolling, writing reports, conflict resolution, judgement, surveillance equipment monitoring.
Security Guard Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The first of those security guard resume examples lists the right skills + results:
- Patrolling (4 clients, zero breaches, 5–10 attempts)
- Writing reports (three convictions)
- Conflict resolution (10 resolved conflicts)
- Judgment (3 commendations)
- Surveillance equipment monitoring (identified an intruder).
Now here’s an entry-level resume sample:
The job ad wants these security guard skills: professionalism, conflict resolution, documentation, efficiency.
Entry-Level Security Guard Resume Job Description [Sample]
See what works?
“I used X skill with Y result.”
And it works even with non-security jobs like retail.
Use these security guard resume skills to start:
Security Guard Resume Skills
Surveillance Equipment Monitoring
Attention to Detail
Active Shooter Training
Reporting to Authorities
Screening People and Possessions
Clean Driving Record
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
Security guard work ain’t rocket surgery.
But every resume needs an education section.
Yours can catch the hiring team’s eye.
Watch this security guard resume sample:
Let’s say the job needs a physically fit Spanish speaker.
Security Guard Resume Example—Education
That fits like a key-in-lock.
5. Add Certifications and More to a Security Guard Resume
What about standout qualities?
Take some time to think.
Any of these can get you noticed:
- Association memberships (PSPA)
- Certifications and trainings (ALICE, First Aid)
- Volunteer work
- Groups, clubs
- Professional awards (Employee of the Month)
- Additional activities (a miscellaneous catchall section)
These security guard resume examples show how:
Security Guard Resume—Extra Sections
Ad job-fitting details like the first of those security guard resume examples.
Expert Hint: Learn how to write a cover letter for a job. Resumes for security guards with cover letters generate more interest. That gives you a bigger chance to get more interviews.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a security guard resume that works:
- Use the security guard resume template up top. It puts all your best security moments in their hands.
- Find the right resume keywords in the security guard job description online.
- Write resume sections that show you’ve used key job skills to get results.
- Include a certification if you have one. Add “other” sections too, like volunteer work or additional activities.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for security guard jobs? Not sure how to show security guard on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!