How many pages should a resume be? One page resume vs two page resume. Get the answer to how long should a resume be with expert tips to shorten yours.
This architecture resume template is different.
Most architecture resumes blend in like tract housing.
They focus on what the applicant has done.
Show the positive effect you’ve had instead. You’ll stand out like the Guggenheim in a trailer park.
This guide will show you:
- An architecture resume template better than most.
- How to write an architect resume that gets interviews.
- 12 architecture resume examples.
- Why your choice of architectural resume accomplishments makes all the difference.
Save hours of work and get a resume like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ resume templates and download your resume now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your resume.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous resume was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Need help with a different kind of resume? Explore our other guides such as:
- Interior Design Resume
- Landscape Architect Resume
- Graphic Designer Resume
- Landscaping Resume
- Tech Resume
- 3d Artist Resume
- Project Manager Resume
- Carpenter Resume
- Student Resume
- Graduate School Resume
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Samples.
Free Architecture Resume Template
Oregon State Licensed Architect with 9+ years of experience. Seeking to deliver design excellence for Gensler. Designed 18 projects with budgets over $10M for LHP at 20% lower cost than the competition. Commended 12 times by management for design excellence and budget adherence.
- Oregon State Architecture License
- Certified Professional Building Designer, NCBDC
Architect (Design & Production)
Locklin, Horowitz & Phair
- Lead architect in a top 300 architecture firm. Designed 18 $10M+ jobs from requirements-gathering through completion.
- Developed designs that won bids at 20% less cost than the competition.
- Consistently delivered projects to client specs and 12% below budget.
- Received 12 commendations from clients for design excellence.
Clifford and Beverage Architects
- Production architect in mid-level architecture firm. Collaborated with lead architect and contractors to deliver projects 10% under budget and on time.
- Regularly delivered finished projects at 99% accuracy to budgets.
- Brought two new jobs per year into the business.
- Consistently finished projects with 15% less rework than coworkers.
Philbrick, Dickey & Associates—Architects
- Completed all 700 required IDP architecture internship training units.
- Commended 5x by management for budgeting skills.
Master of Architecture, Portland State University
- Excelled in project management classes.
- Master's thesis on CAD innovation published in "Architectural Review."
Bachelor of Architecture, Portland State University
- Pursued a passion for drafting coursework.
- President, student architecture club. Increased membership 25%.
- 2nd Place, Workplace of the Future 2018.
- 3rd Place, Urban Design & Architecture Design Awards, 2016.
- "Zero Waste Architecture and You," ArchDaily.com, 2017.
- "Estimating for the Future," ArchPaper, 2016.
- 2018—AIA Conference. Spoke on panel about budgeting.
- 2017—AEI Conference
Hard Skills: CAD, Revit, Estimating, Budgeting, Project Management, Renovation
Soft Skills: Communication, Collaboration, Interpersonal Skills, Problem Solving
Now here’s how to write an architecture resume:
1. Start With the Best Architecture Resume Format
This is foundational:
Your resume format must prove you know “arcade” isn’t a video game room.
- Pick a visually appealing resume template, a free Google Docs resume template or a free MS Word Resume Template.
- Pick the reverse-chronological resume format. It puts your best architecture achievements in the lobby.
- Use the best resume fonts in 10–14pt with 1-inch margins and big headings. Add plenty of negative space.
- Write a one-page resume unless you’ve got pages of unique projects and achievements.
- Break ground with a resume header. Include your name, phone, email, and architecture portfolio address. No photo—no street address.
- List your license next. Then add an architecture resume objective, work experience, and education.
- Install resume extras like conferences, publications, and additional activities. They’ll add materiality to your architectural resume.
Expert Hint: Save your resumes as PDFs. They don't depreciate in transit. Plus in 2022 they’re machine-readable.
2. Write a Dynamic Architecture Resume Summary or Objective
Don’t miss this:
Most architect resumes and architecture student resumes are boilerplate.
Hiring managers skim them, hunting one that’s structurally sound.
- Job title and License (Oregon State Licensed Architect)
- Years of experience (2+, 9+)
- How you’ll help (deliver design excellence)
- Flashiest 2–3 achievements (designed 18 projects with budgets over $10M, Delivered jobs at 20% lower cost than competition)
These senior architecture resume examples show how:
Architecture Resume Summary—Example
The first of those architect resume samples will make employers read your resume with care.
It lists accomplishments that prove your building and design skills.
What if You’ve Got No Architecture Experience?
In an architecture student resume, use achievements. Get them from:
- Freelance Projects
- Volunteer Work
- Consulting Work
- Non-Architecture Jobs
This entry-level architecture experience resume example nails it:
Architecture Resume Objective—Example
That buries “I’m still looking for an architecture internship.” Even with no experience, that’s a professional architecture student resume.
Shouldn’t you talk about your goals in an architecture student resume objective? Not in 2022. You’ll get more interviews by focusing on company objectives.
Expert Hint: Don’t write your resume summary first. Write it last so you’ll have lots of raw materials to do it right.
3. Build Your Best Architecture Resume Job Description
Architectural resumes only need a handful of achievements.
The best architect resumes pick the right accomplishments for the job description section.
To do that:
- Pay close attention to the job ad.
- Underline the architecture duties and responsibilities in it.
- Write resume bullets with achievements that pin you to the job.
See these bad/good architecture resume examples:
Architecture Resume Job Description—Sample
Job ad wants these architecture skills: (1) leadership (2) design (3) budget adherence.
The second of those architecture resume examples is slipshod. The first is Gensler-level.
Numbers like $ and % show your skills are Burj-Khalifa-sized.
Entry-Level Architecture Resume Example—No Experience
No architecture experience? That’s not structurally unsound.
Your entry-level architect resume can still get rave reviews.
List accomplishments, like this architectural resume for internships example:
Skills for Architecture Resumes
Here’s a resume skills list.
Don’t copy-paste it to your resume for architecture jobs.
Employers see through that like Low-E coated glass.
|Soft Skills||Hard Skills||Technical Skills|
|Problem Solving||Computer Skills||Revit|
|Detail Oriented||Business Knowledge||Legal|
|Interpersonal Skills||Model Making||Project Management|
|Decision Making||Specifications||New Construction|
Expert Hint: Architecture resumes and portfolios go great together. Put a portfolio link in your resume to show you’re more than just a piece of paper.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your resume in our resume builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of color, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
The education section on an architect resume must show achievements too.
Without them, it’s dead space.
These architecture resume examples show how:
Architecture Resume Education—Example
The first of those architectural resume samples is in the Norman Foster zone.
It shows your passion for design wasn’t slapped together yesterday.
Expert Hint: Is your solution architecture resume experience just breaking ground? Partition your education section. List positions and projects, with achievements in each.
5. Reinforce Your Architecture Resume With These
To stand out like the Lotus Temple—
Use resume additional sections. They’ll make your resume for architecture unique.
These architecture resume examples give the blueprint:
Additional Sections for Architecture Resume—Example
Those first architecture resume samples would get you in at Huckabee.
6. List Your License on a Resume for Architecture
What about licenses on architectural resumes?
Put your state license in a special Licenses section near the top.
Add 1–2 other key licenses if you’ve got them.
This architect resume example shows how:
See the architecture resume template up top for placement tips.
Also put your license in your resume objective, and near your name.
That way busy architecture hiring managers won’t miss it.
That’s vital, because architect jobs will only grow at 4% over the next 10 years.
Expert Hint: Got lots of certifications? Put extras in a Certifications section. Place it lower on your architect or architecture student resume.
Double your impact with a matching resume and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For an architecture resume that soars:
- Use the architecture resume template up top. It ticks all the right boxes.
- Put your resume design in context with accomplishments. Fit them to the job offer like mullions.
- Add numbers to your architect resume achievements and qualifications summary. Dollars, percents, hours saved, and other numbers add scale.
- Send an architecture cover letter. Arc weld it to the job by referencing the employer’s needs and your accomplishments.
Got questions on how to write an architecture resume? Not sure how to pick achievements for your architectural resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.