Your vocation is to diagnose and alleviate suffering. Let’s heal your doctor CV of any pathologies and give your career a prognosis of success.
This architecture CV template is different.
Most architecture CVs blend in like tract housing.
They focus on what the applicant has done.
Show the positive effect you’ve had instead. You’ll stand out like the Guggenheim in a trailer park.
This guide will show you:
- An architecture CV template better than most.
- How to write an architect CV that gets interviews.
- 12 architecture CV examples.
- Why your choice of architectural CV accomplishments makes all the difference.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Need help with a different kind of CV? Explore our other guides such as:
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Samples.
Free Architecture CV Template
Oregon State Licenced Architect with 9+ years of experience. Seeking to deliver design excellence for Gensler. Designed 18 projects with budgets over £10M for LHP at 20% lower cost than the competition. Commended 12 times by management for design excellence and budget adherence.
- Oregon State Architecture Licence
- Certified Professional Building Designer, NCBDC
Architect (Design & Production)
Locklin, Horowitz & Phair
- Lead architect in a top 300 architecture firm. Designed 18 £10M+ jobs from requirements-gathering through completion.
- Developed designs that won bids at 20% less cost than the competition.
- Consistently delivered projects to client specs and 12% below budget.
- Received 12 commendations from clients for design excellence.
Clifford and Beverage Architects
- Production architect in mid-level architecture firm. Collaborated with lead architect and contractors to deliver projects 10% under budget and on time.
- Regularly delivered finished projects at 99% accuracy to budgets.
- Brought two new jobs per year into the business.
- Consistently finished projects with 15% less rework than coworkers.
Philbrick, Dickey & Associates—Architects
- Completed all 700 required IDP architecture internship training units.
- Commended 5x by management for budgeting skills.
Master of Architecture, Portland State University
- Excelled in project management classes.
- Master's thesis on CAD innovation published in "Architectural Review."
Bachelor of Architecture, Portland State University
- Pursued a passion for drafting coursework.
- President, student architecture club. Increased membership 25%.
- 2nd Place, Workplace of the Future 2018.
- 3rd Place, Urban Design & Architecture Design Awards, 2016.
- "Zero Waste Architecture and You," ArchDaily.com, 2017.
- "Estimating for the Future," ArchPaper, 2016.
- 2018—AIA Conference. Spoke on panel about budgeting.
- 2017—AEI Conference
Hard Skills: CAD, Revit, Estimating, Budgeting, Project Management, Renovation
Soft Skills: Communication, Collaboration, Interpersonal Skills, Problem Solving
Now here’s how to write an architecture CV:
1. Start With the Best Architecture CV Format
This is foundational:
Your CV format must prove you know “arcade” isn’t a video game room.
- Pick a visually appealing CV template, a free Google Docs CV template or a free MS Word CV Template.
- Pick the reverse-chronological CV format. It puts your best architecture achievements in the lobby.
- Use the best CV fonts in 10–14pt with 1-inch margins and big headings. Add plenty of negative space.
- Write a one-page CV unless you’ve got pages of unique projects and achievements.
- Break ground with a CV header. Include your name, phone, email, and architecture portfolio address. No photo—no street address.
- List your licence next. Then add an architecture CV objective, work experience, and education.
- Instal CV extras like conferences, publications, and additional activities. They’ll add materiality to your architectural CV.
Expert Hint: Save your CVs as PDFs. They don't depreciate in transit. Plus in 2019 they’re machine-readable.
2. Write a Dynamic Architecture CV Summary or Objective
Don’t miss this:
Most architect CVs and architecture student CVs are boilerplate.
Hiring managers skim them, hunting one that’s structurally sound.
- Job title and Licence (Oregon State Licenced Architect)
- Years of experience (2+, 9+)
- How you’ll help (deliver design excellence)
- Flashiest 2–3 achievements (designed 18 projects with budgets over £10M, Delivered jobs at 20% lower cost than competition)
These senior architecture CV examples show how:
Architecture CV Summary—Example
The first of those architect CV samples will make employers read your CV with care.
It lists accomplishments that prove your building and design skills.
What if You’ve Got No Architecture Experience?
In an architecture student CV, use achievements. Get them from:
- Freelance Projects
- Volunteer Work
- Consulting Work
- Non-Architecture Jobs
This entry-level architecture experience CV example nails it:
Architecture CV Objective—Example
That buries “I’m still looking for an architecture internship.” Even with no experience, that’s a professional architecture student CV.
Shouldn’t you talk about your goals in an architecture student CV objective? Not in 2019. You’ll get more interviews by focusing on company objectives.
Expert Hint: Don’t write your CV summary first. Write it last so you’ll have lots of raw materials to do it right.
3. Build Your Best Architecture CV Job Description
Architectural CVs only need a handful of achievements.
The best architect CVs pick the right accomplishments for the job description section.
To do that:
- Pay close attention to the job ad.
- Underline the architecture duties and responsibilities in it.
- Write CV bullets with achievements that pin you to the job.
See these bad/good architecture CV examples:
Architecture CV Job Description—Sample
Job ad wants these architecture skills: (1) leadership (2) design (3) budget adherence.
The second of those architecture CV examples is slipshod. The first is Gensler-level.
Numbers like £ and % show your skills are Burj-Khalifa-sized.
Entry-Level Architecture CV Example—No Experience
No architecture experience? That’s not structurally unsound.
Your entry-level architect CV can still get rave reviews.
List accomplishments, like this architectural CV for internships example:
Skills for Architecture CVs
Here’s a CV skills list.
Don’t copy-paste it to your CV for architecture jobs.
Employers see through that like Low-E coated glass.
|Soft Skills||Hard Skills||Technical Skills|
|Problem Solving||Computer Skills||Revit|
|Detail Oriented||Business Knowledge||Legal|
|Interpersonal Skills||Model Making||Project Management|
|Decision Making||Specifications||New Construction|
Expert Hint: Architecture CVs and portfolios go great together. Put a portfolio link in your CV to show you’re more than just a piece of paper.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
The education section on an architect CV must show achievements too.
Without them, it’s dead space.
These architecture CV examples show how:
Architecture CV Education—Example
The first of those architectural CV samples is in the Norman Foster zone.
It shows your passion for design wasn’t slapped together yesterday.
Expert Hint: Is your solution architecture CV experience just breaking ground? Partition your education section. List positions and projects, with achievements in each.
5. Reinforce Your Architecture CV With These
To stand out like the Lotus Temple—
Use CV additional sections. They’ll make your CV for architecture unique.
These architecture CV examples give the blueprint:
Additional Sections for Architecture CV—Example
Those first architecture CV samples would get you in at Huckabee.
6. List Your Licence on a CV for Architecture
What about licences on architectural CVs?
Put your state licence in a special Licences section near the top.
Add 1–2 other key licences if you’ve got them.
This architect CV example shows how:
See the architecture CV template up top for placement tips.
Also put your licence in your CV objective, and near your name.
That way busy architecture hiring managers won’t miss it.
That’s vital, because architect jobs will only grow at 4% over the next 10 years.
Expert Hint: Got lots of certifications? Put extras in a Certifications section. Place it lower on your architect or architecture student CV.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For an architecture CV that soars:
- Use the architecture CV template up top. It ticks all the right boxes.
- Put your CV design in context with accomplishments. Fit them to the job offer like mullions.
- Add numbers to your architect CV achievements and qualifications summary. Dollars, percents, hours saved, and other numbers add scale.
- Send an architecture cover letter. Arc weld it to the job by referencing the employer’s needs and your accomplishments.
Got questions on how to write an architecture CV? Not sure how to pick achievements for your architectural CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.