How many pages should a resume be? One page resume vs two page resume. Get the answer to how long should a resume be with expert tips to shorten yours.
There’s an educator shortage.
You can write your resume in crayon and get hired. Right?
To get high paying jobs in good schools, show you are the only choice with a strong education resume.
In this guide:
- An education resume sample better than most.
- How to write an A+ resume for education jobs.
- How to make an education job description for resumes.
- Why you can’t just list education skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning resume with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my resume now
Are you writing a specific kind of resume for education jobs? See our dedicated guides:
- Academic Resume Examples
- Art Teacher Resume Examples
- Librarian Resume Examples
- English Teacher Resume Examples
- Preschool Teacher Resume Examples
- Primary / Elementary Teacher Resume Examples
- Research Assistant Resume Examples
- Special Education Teacher Resume Examples
- Substitute Teacher Resume Examples
- Teacher (General) Resume Examples
- Teaching Assistant Resume Examples
- ESL Teacher Resume Examples
- School Counselor Resume Examples
- Chemistry Resume Examples
- Biology Resume Examples
- Supervisor Resume Examples
- Psychology Resume Examples
- Assistant Principal Resume Examples
- Writer Resume Examples
- Case Manager Resume Examples
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Resume Examples for Any Job.
Making a career change into education? See our guide: Career Change Resume Sample & Guide
Now check out this sample resume for education jobs:
Education Resume Sample You Can Copy and Use
High School Math Teacher
Licensed California high school math teacher with 5+ years of experience. Seeking to improve standardized test scores at Santa Rosa High School. At Cambrian High School, raised scores on math standardized tests by 25% through student training in goal-setting and time management. Taught 130+ students per year and trained 3 teachers.
- 2013 - CA Teacher Certification
- First Aid & CPR - American Red Cross
High School Math Teacher
Cambrian High School
- Raised math standardized test scores 25% by implementing goal-setting, time-management training, and more in-class exercises.
- Taught and guided progress of 130+ students per year. Performed assessments and offer extra help to lagging students.
- Created 500+ daily lesson plans for 2 different mathematics tracks, including College Prep and AP math.
- Met with 400+ parents and school administrators to discuss goals, progress, and strategies for improvement.
- Trained 3 math teachers in classroom management.
Hueneme Elementary School
- Wrote 35 daily lesson plans in collaboration with teachers.
- Graded 400+ student tests and papers.
- Scored 99% on school safety policies exam.
- Managed 2 classrooms of at-risk students.
BS Education, Santa Clara University
- Conducted senior project in classroom management.
- Excelled in lesson plan creation coursework.
- Member, NEA.
- Teach yoga 1x per week as self-care.
Drive kitten rescue van 1x per month.
Hard Skills: classroom management, state standards, curriculum development, safety
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, compassion, communication, critical thinking
That educator resume sample fills in all the blanks.
Now here’s how to write an education resume that passes all the tests:
1. Use a Professional Education Resume Format
You know this.
If you turn in sloppy work, they won’t take you seriously.
That’s why formatting your resume is crucial.
Education resumes have to look the part.
Use these tips:
Education Resume Format
- Stick to a one-page resume length.
- Don’t crowd it. Use 1-inch margins and a little white space.
- Choose a trusted resume font like 10–12pt Didot or Calibri.
- Write these resume sections: Heading, Objective, Work History, Education, and Skills.
- List past jobs in reverse-chronological sequence.
- Save it as a PDF. PDF resumes look great on every screen.
Expert Hint: There’s a massive teacher shortage in the US. But—if you fail to list enough credentials on your educational resume, you’ll risk a lower starting salary.
2. Write an Education Resume Objective or Summary
Here’s the bad news:
The hiring official won’t read your education resume.
She’ll glance at it.
Make it count.
It’s a quick rundown of why you fit the job.
- An adjective (licensed, energetic)
- Job title (teacher, director)
- Years of experience (1+, 3+)
- Who/how you’ll help (raise standardized test scores at Cambrian High School)
- Best education moments (raised standardized test scores 25%...)
- A couple skills (...by coaching students in time management.)
Hint: write it last to sink your stress.
These education resume examples show the lesson plan:
Let’s say the online job ad stresses standardized test scores.
Education Resume Summary—Example
See how that works?
Show your best use of the skills they want.
But even an education resume with no experience needs proof.
Let’s say a job wants classroom management skills:
Entry-Level Education Resume Objective
The second of these entry-level education resume examples isn’t terrible! Particularly the part about collaboration.
But the first is tailored to the job.
3. Educate Your Job Description and Skills Section
If you only learn one thing today, learn this:
An educational resume job description has to fit the job.
To write a great education job description:
- List the right resume skills. Find them in the online job ad. Or learn them from the school’s teachers and administrators.
- Use those skills as your resume keywords.
- Brainstorm several times you used those skills for maximum effect.
- Add metrics like percentages or numbers of students to show they aren’t pee-wee sized.
The first of these education resume samples aces it:
Say these education skills are in the job ad: standardized test scores, assessments, lesson plans, parent meetings, training.
Education Job Description for Resume [Sample]
The first of those educators resume examples showcases the skills from the job ad.
The numbers add proof and size.
Now what about an example of an entry-level resume?
Pretend the job wants these education skills: lesson plans, grading, safety, classroom management.
Entry-Level Education Resume Job Description [Sample]
Saying you “graded papers” is one thing.
But grading 400+ papers shows you’ve got the skill they want.
Use these education resume skills to start:
Education Resume Skills
Love of Learning
For directors and administrators:
Expert Hint: Based on a survey of 12,406 teachers, counseling skills boost teacher salary by 15%. If you’ve got them, put them on your educational resume.
4. Wow Them with Your Education Section
You worked hard for your education degree.
There’s a trick to showing it.
Especially in an entry-level education resume, your education section should show skills.
This educator’s resume example passes with flying colors:
Education Resume Example—Education
Expert Hint: Will you get health insurance? That depends. Teacher benefits are locally negotiated. So—study up on the job benefits before sending in your educational resume.
5. Make Your Education Resume Do More
Experience counts in an education resume.
You have to show the hiring team you’re good to work with.
By adding a few “other” sections.
- Association memberships (NEA)
- Certifications (First Aid, ALICE)
- Volunteer work
- Additional activities
These education resume examples show how:
Education Resume—Extra Sections
Make sure you add your teacher certification in a special section, way up high.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. About 40% of hiring managers ignore resumes for educators without them.
To write an education resume that works:
- Use the education resume template up top. It puts your best school moments front and center.
- Get your resume keywords from the job posting. That’s the only way to show you are the perfect fit.
- Add numbers to make your words pop. Numbers convince!
- Include a couple “other” sections to offer more of what they’re looking for.
Got questions on how to write great resumes for education jobs? Not sure how to show education on a resume? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!