When writing a CV, it’s easy to forget about some important details or include something you’re not supposed to. But that won’t happen to you ever again—if you read this study.
Here’s your problem:
You don’t need 60 hours a week. Just 20 would do it.
You know you’re skilled. And there are people out there who need you.
How can you get noticed?
It starts with a CV that proves you can do remote work.
In this guide:
- A stay at home mum CV example better than most.
- How to make a great stay at home mum job description for CVs.
- How to write a cv for a stay at home mum and get on the payroll.
- Why you have to prove self-motivation—and how to do it.
Create a job-winning CV with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my CV now
Lots of stay-at-home mums switch careers. If that’s you, see our guide: Career Change CV Sample—25+ Examples and Writing Tips. You may also find useful to read How to Write a CV When You Have Employment Gaps.
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Professional CV Examples.
Stay at Home Mum CV Example (UK) You Can Copy and Use
Sarah Adwani, AATQB
070 7184 9273
Licenced Bookkeeper with 6+ years of experience. Seeking to boost efficiency as a remote employee at Red Sky Construction. At Atkins Building Supply, cut AR from £175,000 to £20K with new electronic payments system. Tracked £350,000 in annual revenue with QuickBooks. Member of Institute of Certified Bookkeepers. Highly self-motivated.
- AAT Advanced Certificate in Bookkeeping
- Intuit QuickBooks Certification
Atkins Building Supply, Ltd., Elton
December 2014–November 2019
- Worked from home 4 days per month. Recognised for self-motivation.
- Cut accounts receivable from £175,000+ to under £20,000 by creating electronic payments system and increased payment options.
- Improved accounts payable. Cut costs 15% by using automated payments schedule and creating an online portal for suppliers.
- Tracked revenues of £350,000 annually with QuickBooks.
- Cut payroll processing time 15% by digitising data, centralising records, and collaborating with IT to integrate payroll and HR.
- Developed pivot tables with MS Excel that saved 10 labour hours per quarter. Slashed time to generate reports by 20%.
Ervin Medical Clinic, Birmingham
April 2010–September 2013
- Facilitated payroll processing. Upgraded payroll to QuickBooks system, saving 10 hours of bookkeeping time per month.
- Performed key month-end-close entries and bank reconciliations.
- Used QuickBooks to track past-due accounts. Worked with customers and bookkeeper to recoup £20,000 annually.
- Slashed supply costs 12% by negotiating with vendors.
BSc Accounting and Finance, University of Birmingham
- Excelled in QuickBooks coursework.
- Favourite classes: Payroll, AP/AR
- Member, Institute of Certified Bookkeepers.
- Set up QuickBooks system for local animal shelter.
- Leader, weekly CrossFit class of 15 students.
Hard Skills: AR, AP, Quickbooks, payroll accounting
Soft Skills: communication, attention to detail, self-motivation, interpersonal skills
That sample SAHM CV does two important things:
- It shows you’re skilled.
- It proves you can work from home.
Now here’s how to write a stay at home mum CV that works:
1. Start with the Right Stay at Home Mum CV Format
This is vital:
Most CVs for stay at home mums get ignored.
They don’t use the right format for CVs.
The right format conveys professionalism in an eye-blink.
Use these tips:
Stay at Home Mum CV Format
- Write a reverse-chronological CV unless you’re switching careers.
- Career-changers should use the combination format.
- Avoid the functional CV for stay-at-home mums.
- Choose a professional CV font like 10–12pt Lato or Arial.
- Let some white space in, and set margins at 1 inch.
- Write CV sections for Header, Objective, Experience, Education, and Skills.
- The length of your CV should be one page.
- Save your CV as a PDF so it’ll look good on any screen.
Expert Hint: Most of getting hired with a stay-at-home mum CV is networking. If employers know and like you, they’re more inclined to hire you. Tap into your network!
2. Write a Stay at Home Mum CV Objective or Summary
Let’s be honest.
Would you read a stack of CVs?
Most employers don’t.
They skim, then spend time with the ones they like.
Be in that second group.
- One adjective (licenced, effective)
- Job title (bookkeeper, graphic artist)
- Years of experience (2+, 7+)
- How/who you’ll help (boost efficiency as a remote employee for RSC)
- Top 2–4 accomplishments (cut AR from £175K...)
These stay at home mum CV examples lay the ground rules:
Stay at Home Mum CV Summary—Example
Pretend you’re hiring. Which do you like best?
Numbers and details make it sing.
What if your experience is still in onesies?
Some SAHM’s need to switch careers. Will you try your hand at bookkeeping? Start a new copywriting career?
In a CV for stay at home mums with no work experience, your achievements should:
- Come from unrelated jobs.
- Fit the new job.
These SAHM CV examples show how:
Stay at Home mum CV Objective
The first of those stay at home mum CV examples works the details.
That also works for a stay at home mum returning to work.
Finally, write your summary last. You’ll nip writer’s block in the bud.
Expert Hint: It’s easier to get hired with a SAHM CV than even 5 years ago. Google “work from home jobs” + [your title]. Then click the blue “jobs” bar for lots of openings.
3. Clean up Your Stay at Home Mum Job Description and Skills Section
Here’s your wakeup call.
It’s hard to get hired as a stay at home mum.
You’ll need to prove competence and work ethic.
- Understand exactly what they need.
- Prove you’ve done it all already.
That comes down to writing a tightly tailored CV.
So—look for the right CV skills in the hiring ad.
Then use them as CV keywords in your job description.
These stay at home mum CV samples show how:
The job wants these skills: working from home, AR, AP, Quickbooks, payroll, Excel.
CV for a Stay at Home Mum—Job Description [Sample]
The first of those stay at home mum CV examples is a dream come true. She can work from home, do AR, AP, QuickBooks, payroll, and Excel.
Plus, the numbers show she aces all of them.
The second is like all the rest. Why risk hiring him?
Now let’s look at an entry-level CV:
The job wants these skills: payroll, QuickBooks, month-end-close, negotiating.
Entry-Level Stay at Home Mum CV Job Description [Sample]
The second of those stay at home mum CV examples might work for a receptionist.
But you want to be a bookkeeper.
Fit your achievements to the new job, no matter what your past job was.
Here’s something special:
You can prove soft skills like negotiating or communication with almost any work history.
Here are some of the most valued skills on the planet:
Stay at Home Mum CV Skills
Attention to Detail
Expert Hint: Find stay-at-home mum jobs with Google search, Indeed, or LinkedIn. But—apply in person or on the company’s website. You’ll vastly increase your chances!
4. Turn Boring Education to a Reason to Hire You
You must show education.
Will you waste it?
Most CV education sections stop at “degree, school, dates, grade.”
Go the extra mile like this stay at home mum CV sample:
CV for a Stay at Home Mum Returning to Work—Education [Example]
If the job needs Quickbooks, payroll, AP, and AR, you’re set.
Expert Hint: Don’t have a strong network? Join a professional association that fits your career. Also—find regular meetups and networking events near you.
5. Add Sections to Your Stay at Home Mum CV
“She’s a go-getter.”
Your CV should signal that.
Paste in a couple of these bonus sections:
- Memberships in professional associations (ICP, IAB)
- Conferences you’ve attended
- Classes you’ve taken
- Projects and freelance work
- Groups or clubs
- Awards or honours
- Publications or appearances
- Additional activities
Nail it like these stay at home mum CV examples:
Stay at Home Mum CV—Extra Sections
The first of those stay at home mum CV examples shows a great employee.
Expert Hint: Your cover letter will be a critical addition to your CV for stay at home mums. You’ll need to convince them you can make the shift to remote work smoothly.
For a stay at home mum CV that wakes them up:
- Use the stay at home mum CV template up top. It gets employers to listen for a change.
- Stuff your CV sections with achievements that play well with the job needs.
- Find CV keywords in the online ad you’re applying to.
- Add some bonus sections that show this isn’t your first rodeo.
Got questions on how to write a great CV for stay at home mum jobs? Not sure how to put stay at home mum on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!