Asking yourself "Do I need a cover letter?" We surveyed 200 hiring decision-makers to find out if cover letters are still important in 2021.
This medical assistant cover letter sample can get you hired.
What makes it tick?
It’s clear and fast, and it gets employers to read your resume for medical assistant jobs.
If you don’t get attention like a reflex hammer, that perfect medical assistant job will go to someone else.
In this article, you’ll get:
- Two sample medical assistant cover letters: one for experienced and one for entry-level medical assistant jobs.
- Steps to write a flawless cover letter for medical assistant positions.
- A template for medical assistant cover letters you can adapt to your career.
Let’s start with two great cover letter examples for medical assistants:
1. Medical Assistant Cover Letter Examples
Say hello to Steven.
His medical assistant career started back when people smoked in hospitals.
He’s been job-hunting for six weeks. He just found the perfect medical assistant opening.
He’ll shock the hiring team awake with this medical assistant cover letter sample:
Example #1: Experienced Medical Assistant Candidate
What does a perfect cover letter for a medical assistant look like? See below—
Save your time and get a cover letter like this. Simply choose a template and fill in the blanks. Fast & easy. Pick from 18 cover letter templates and download your cover letter in minutes.
What users say about ResumeLab:
It’s great. Really. The templates are attractive, modern, and varied for almost any taste or purpose.
My previous cover letter was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Looking for other cover letter examples for positions in healthcare and wellbeing? See:
- CNA Cover Letter
- Dental Assistant Cover Letter
- Nurse / Nursing Cover Letter
- Pharmacist Cover Letter
- Registered Nurse (RN) Cover Letter
- Medical Receptionist Cover Letter
- Administrative Assistant Cover Letter
- Research Assistant Cover Letter
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our Best Cover Letter Examples.
Haven't written your resume yet? See:
- Medical Assistant Resume
- Administrative Assistant Resume
- Dental Assistant Resume
- Office Assistant Resume
- Medical Receptionist Resume
585 Adonais Way
Indianapolis, IN, 46201
Naylor & Brown Medical Center
974 Anthony Avenue
Indianapolis, IN, 46201
Dear Ms. Walraven,
I'm writing to apply for the medical assistant position at CBLD Medical Center. I'm an AMT Registered Medical Assistant with 6+ years of experience in high-volume hospital environments. I'm very interested in working at CBLD because of your high HCAHPS scores and your commitment to patient satisfaction.
Your ad on Indeed mentions skills in EPIC, supply management, and specimen preparation. I believe I'm ready to work for you, based on:
- EPIC: Maintained 98% accuracy in booking patients in with EPIC.
- Supply management: Designed new pull system that cut costs 30%.
- Specimen preparation: prepared and shipped biospecimens daily.
I'd love to talk soon about how my skills in patient assessment and education can help CBLD improve its patient exit survey scores still more.
Steve Bhave, Medical Assistant
PS—We can also discuss how I’ve consistently maintained a 93% score in my patient evaluation forms.
With that sample cover letter for medical assistant jobs, Steven has a fantastic shot at getting hired.
“But my medical assistant experience is still wrapped in gauze! I don’t have that kind of cred!”
A medical assistant cover letter with no experience can still succeed.
Across the country, Steve’s friend Lauren is looking for a medical assistant job.
She just finished her internship, so she can’t brag like Steven can.
This sample cover letter for a medical assistant position is Mary Breckinridge-level:
Example #2: Entry-Level Medical Assistant Cover Letter Sample
Sutton Galaway Medical Clinic
2587 Alpaca Way
Anaheim, CA 92805
Dear Ms. Wilzhens,
I'm applying to the medical assistant position at Sutton Galaway Medical Clinic. I recently graduated from Ohio State University with an AA in Medical Assisting. I'm a Registered Medical Assistant, passionate about patient care and making life easy for nurses, doctors, and clinic managers.
Your ad in Monster says you need someone skilled in patient assessment and ECG operation. During my internship through Pasadena City College, I received top marks from the head nurse for ECG operation, and also scored high in patient assessment skills.
I'd be happy to discuss how my efficiency and time management can help support a smooth workflow at Sutton Galaway Medical Clinic.
Lauren Long, Medical Assistant
Lauren looks like Brittney Wilson with that medical assistant cover letter sample.
But—what good is a cover letter without a resume? See our guide: Medical Assistant Resume Sample & Guide
2. How to Write a Cover Letter for Medical Assistant Jobs Step by Step (Template)
Let’s create your perfect cover letter.
Here’s how to write a cover letter for medical assistant jobs:
1. Choose a Medical Assistant Cover Letter Format
Medical assistants have to follow protocols.
A shoddy cover letter format looks like 3L of fluid in a 3ml Vacutainer.
Here’s how to format a medical assistant cover letter:
- Write three paragraphs with 1-inch margins.
- Set your margins at one inch.
- Left-align your cover letter segments and single-space your text.
- Keep it to one page or less. They won’t read it if it’s longer.
- Pick one cover letter font for both your letter and your resume.
Expert Hint: Research published in the Journal of Medical Practice Management found insurance carriers want clinics to hire medical assistants with strong listening and verbal communication skills. If you’re a great communicator, showing proof in your medical assistant cover letter can help.
2. List Contact Info in Your Cover Letter Heading
Your medical assistant cover letter should look professional. Like a fresh set of Figs.
Use business cover letter formatting in your header.
See this cover letter sample for medical assistant jobs:
Medical Assistant Cover Letter Example Template: Heading
[Hiring Manager Name]
[City, State, Zip]
Inject that same header info into your resume.
3. Address the Hiring Manager and Mention the Job
Bore the hiring manager, and she’ll barely read your medical assistant cover letter.
The best way to make her sit up straight?
Address cover letters to the manager by name.
Then talk about the job and why it interests you.
Use this template:
Medical Assistant Cover Letter Sample: Paragraph #1
Dear [HR Manager’s Name],
I'm writing to apply for the medical assistant position at [Hospital or Clinic Name]. I'm an [Certification] Medical Assistant with [#] years of experience in high-volume hospital environments. I'm very interested in working at [Hospital or Clinic Name] because of your [Fact You Like About the Facility].
That sample cover letter for medical assistant jobs gets attention with the manager’s name.
Then it leaves no doubt on why you’re writing.
Finally, it says why you care about this job. Employers love that kind of passion.
What if your medical assistant career is in its infancy?
In an entry-level medical assistant cover letter with no experience, you can mention:
- Something about the facility you like
- A peak moment from your internship or schooling
- A referral from a current employee
4. List Medical Assistant Skills & Accomplishments
They read your medical assistant cover letter. They decide you’re perfect for the job. Then they read your resume with care.
You get the interview. You get the job.
You can make that happen.
By fitting your cover letter to the job like an ICD-10 code.
In your second paragraph, list medical assistant accomplishments.
See this example:
Example Cover Letter for Medical Assistant: Paragraph #2
Your ad on [Job Search Site] mentions skills in [3 Skills they Want]. I believe I'm ready to work for you, based on:
- [Medical Assistant Skill #1]. [Peak Moment #1]
- [Medical Assistant Skill #2]. [Peak Moment #2]
- [Medical Assistant Skill #3]. [Peak Moment #3]
Expert Hint: A survey in The Journal of Family Practice Management found that only 15% of medical assistants are certified. Listing a certification can distinguish you from other entry-level medical assistant cover letters.
5. Ask for the Interview
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
That’s true in patient advocacy. But it’s also true in cover letters.
To be squeaky, always end a cover letter by asking for the interview.
Here’s a sample medical assistant cover letter closing:
Sample Cover Letter for Medical Assistant Jobs: Call to Action
I'd love to talk soon about how my skills in [Two More Skills they Need] can help [Facility Name] improve its [Key Metric at Facility] still more.
[Full Name, Title]
To write a cover letter for medical assistant jobs:
- Use the 3-paragraph layout for your medical assistant cover letter.
- Address the clinic or HR manager by name.
- Mention the position you’re writing about.
- In the first paragraph, get attention.
- List medical assistant achievements in paragraph #2.
- End your cover letter for medical assistant positions by asking for an interview.
Do you have questions about writing medical assistant cover letters? Need more cover letter samples for medical assistant jobs? Let’s chat in the comments section. And thanks for reading!