Were you born with an RJ45 cable in one hand and a screwdriver in the other? With this guide, your computer technician CV will be more effective than Stuxnet.
CEOs have it easy. They get golden parachutes and relax while everyone else works hard.
The CEO works harder than anyone, with 10x the stress. Everything is riding on your shoulders.
The BoD knows that. If your CEO CV doesn’t prove you’re Satya Nadella-level, they’ll see you as a liability.
You’ve got this.
To write a CV for CEOs that works, learn their needs, then show you can provide them. You’ve done that before.
In this guide:
- A CEO CV sample better than most.
- How to write a CV for CEO positions that earns their trust.
- How to craft the perfect CEO job description for CVs.
- Why you can’t just list CEO skills (and what to do instead).
Create a job-winning CV with little effort. Hack your way through ATS software with our 18 beautiful templates—give our builder a try!
Create my CV now
Looking for a different kind of executive CV? See our guides:
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Examples.
CEO CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Driven CEO with 5+ years of executive experience and 8 years of professional experience. Seeking to raise earnings 40% at Quickbeam Tech. At AZQL Tech Global, raised revenue from £18M to £50M through organisational restructuring. A dynamic thought leader who drives revenue growth through employee engagement.
AZQL Tech Global
- Delivered executive leadership for global tech firm with £50M in revenue, 7 business offices, and 500+ employees.
- Reorganised corporate structure to create leaner, more market-driven business, leading to revenue growth from £18M to £50M in 5 years.
- Leveraged employee leadership, idea collection, and policy deployment strategies to grow repeat business by 73%.
- Developed relationships with 20+ new partners in Asia and Europe.
- Opened 6 new product lines worth £15M using redundant employees.
- Developed improved sales strategy resulting in £11.2M in new business and 70+ new clients in 3 years.
- Restructured 4 global sales departments to follow Agile work methodology, increasing productivity by 35%.
MBA, Northeastern University
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honour Society.
BS Business Administration, Fairfield University
- Published 50+ articles in Forbes.
- Member, NACEO
Board member, Rhode Island Hospital. Facilitated a fundraising and grant money increase from £5M to £12M per year.
2019 — IFMA World Workplace — Keynote Speaker
2017 — CIO Executive Leadership Summit
Hard Skills: Business development, partnership development, organisational restructuring, business strategy
Soft Skills: Leadership, vision, EQ, communication, critical thinking
Here’s how to write a CEO CV that blows their hair back:
1. Select the Perfect CEO CV Format
Your CV format is a first impression.
Start with the reverse-chronological CV layout. It puts the best face on your CV for CEO jobs. List your current position first and remember about such details as:
CEO CV Format
- Choose a 2–4 page CV length. The best CEO CVs are like a trophy case of corporate accomplishments. Yours can’t be skimpy.
- Pick a professional CV font like 10–12pt Calibri or Helvetica.
- Set one inch margins.
- Make it readable by adding white space.
- Create CV sections like Heading, Summary, History, Education, and Skills.
- Send an ATS-friendly PDF CV to look sharp across all devices.
Expert Hint: CEOs spend 56% of their time in meetings. That goes double for the BoD. Respect their time with a clean CV format that conveys your key points fast.
2. Write a Powerful CEO CV Summary
Sell them in the first five minutes.
That’s a quick lift speech of your best features at the top of your CEO CV.
To get attention, don’t just say, “I’m a strong leader with a track record of blah blah blah.”
To knock their cashmere socks off, show evidence of your best wins.
- An adjective (resourceful, engaging)
- Job title (CEO)
- Years of experience (5+, 9)
- How and who you’ll help (raise earnings 40% at Quickbeam Tech)
- Best CEO moments (raised revenue from £18M to £50M...)
- Some tempting skills (organisational restructuring, employee engagement...)
Write it last to ease the strain.
These startup CEO CV examples drive success:
CV CEO Summary—Example
Both CEO CV samples sound good.
But the first one seals the value proposition with that £18M to £50M achievement.
3. Strengthen Your CEO Job Description and Skills
What skills belong in a CEO CV?
Here’s a list:
CEO CV Skills
Media and Public Relations
Don’t list all those skills. The board will see through that like a bad IPO.
To write a CEO job description for CVs:
- Learn the perfect CV skills by interviewing some insiders.
- Add them as keywords to your CV sections.
- Show you turned them into bottom-line results.
Follow these CEO CV samples:
Let’s say you’re applying to a company with £40M+ in revenue. It wants to grow revenue and gain repeat business.
It needs skills in executive leadership, organisational restructuring, policy deployment, new partner relationships, and new product lines.
CEO Job Description for CV [Sample]
That’s black and white.
The first of those CEO CV examples shows the skills and results they want.
Expert Hint: In an IBM study, CEOs said creativity is the most important job skill. But your CV for CEO jobs can’t just say, “creative.” It has to show bottom-dollar results.
4. Draw Attention with Your Education Section
A CV for CEO positions needs an education section.
But sweeten the deal by adding extra.
This founder and CEO CV sample shows how:
CEO CV Example—Education
That’s Kevin Sneader-level.
That CEO CV example shows you were unstoppable even in university.
Expert Hint: A third of CEOs have engineering degrees. Only 11% have MBAs. Don’t feel self-conscious if your education wasn’t business-heavy.
5. Make Your CEO CV Stand Out with “Other” Sections
Whatever it takes.
You need to show you’ll do that for the company.
Prove you’re on the clock even when you’re out-of-pocket.
With a couple “other” sections:
- Associations (NACEO, etc.)
- Conferences, especially where you spoke
- Publications or appearances
- Additional activities
- Sports activities
This sample CEO CV handles it:
CEO CV—Extra Sections
That’s Bill McDermott-level.
Those hospital CEO CV examples show a competent and confident professional.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter they’ll remember. To do that, show the intersection of your CEO accomplishments and the company’s finest attributes.
Here’s how to write a CEO CV that convinces:
- Use the CEO CV template up top. It puts your best executive achievements on the table.
- Don’t just list CEO skills. Organisational restructuring and business strategy are important. But to drop jaws, show results.
- Don’t be cowed by a non-MBA degree. Most CEOs don’t have MBAs.
- Add CV sections that enhance your value. Volunteering or conferences show passion beyond your salary.
Got questions on how to write great CVs for CEO positions? Not sure how to put CEO on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!