You have the knowledge of a small library, the patience of a saint, and the communication skills of a radio host. Let’s get your tutor CV filled up like a diary.
1.5 billion people speak English. What does that mean? That 6 billion people could be willing to pay to have you teach them! It also means that you could be doing it in pretty much any place in the world that you always wanted to visit.
No matter whether you’re just beginning your journey, or you’ve already trained legions of native speakers, this TEFL CV guide will help you get exactly the job you want.
In this guide:
- A TEFL teacher CV sample that gets the interview.
- Tips on building your job description for maximum effect.
- Expert hints to increase the chances of your TEFL teacher job application.
Let’s get on our way.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 21 CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Were you looking for a different CV example? You might like:
- Academic CV / CV Sample
- Teacher CV Sample
- Elementary Teacher CV
- Teaching Assistant CV
- Substitute Teacher CV
- Preschool Teacher CV
- Art Teacher CV
- Special Education Teacher CV
- Camp Counsellor CV
- Nanny CV
- Research Assistant CV
- Librarian CV
- Babysitter CV
- Child Care CV
- CV Samples for All Jobs
TEFL Teacher CV Example You Can Copy and Use
Andresa Jáquez Gallegos
78 Golf Road
Bramford, IP8 5TY
07973 981 503
Personable TEFL teacher with 6+ years of experience of teaching classes of 20+ students of native Portuguese and Spanish speakers. Maintained 100% passing grades amongst students by introducing extra classes for students falling behind and the tandem system. Founded a base of films and TV series with subtitles and organised poetry and recitation competitions to increase engagement in learning. Seeking to leverage proven skills in a role with Brazilian International School.
International Language School, Madrid, Spain
- Conducted daily lessons compliant with the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) for six classes of 20+ students, whose first language is Spanish.
- Introduced a tandem system with the help of 25 native speakers to help students to use their language knowledge in practise.
- Founded a base of 300+ films and TV series with Spanish and English subtitles with free access to all of the students.
- Organised 3 winter and 2 summer language courses for students with different knowledge of English language.
- Introduced a poetry and recitation competition that takes place every semester.
- Founded a weekly discussion book club for students with more advanced language skills.
International Language School, Lisbon, Portugal
September 2014—July 2017
- Developed 8 different course plans and resourceful working materials for children and adult learners at basic and advanced level.
- Retained 100% of the passing of the EFB, FCE and CAE exams among students attending classes.
- Set extra classes for students falling behind to bring them to the level of the rest of the group.
MA in Education, 2012–2014
University of Manchester
BA (Hons) English, 2009–2012
University of Manchester
- 2014 — Level 5 TEFL Certification (168 hours), The TEFL Academy
- Spanish (native)
- Portuguese (advanced)
- Italian (beginner)
- Writing Lesson Plans
- Attention to Detail
- Managing Student Behaviour
- Emphasis on Practise
That’s a top-of-the-class TEFL CV. Here’s how to write your own:
1. Use a Professional CV Format
Life is about first impressions. Of course, we are often wrong. The problem here is, with your CV, you don’t get second chances. Once it’s in the bin, it’s in the bin. It is therefore imperative that your CV layout is easily skimmable and neat.
That’s easy, if you apply a professional CV format:
TEFL Teacher CV Format
- In terms of CV length, 1-page is enough. Two-page CVs work only if you have years of experience under your belt.
- Use 1-inch margins and a little white space.
- Choose a common CV font like a 10–12pt Garamond or Calibri.
- Order your CV sections: Heading, Objective, Work History, Education and Skills.
- List past jobs in reverse-chronological sequence.
- Use a basic CV template, they’re ATS-friendly.
- PDF CVs protect the formatting.
2. Spark Their Curiosity With Your TEFL CV Objective
If you had to complete your interview on an escalator by the time you reached the top, what would you say? That’s the best way to think about your CV profile. What would really convince someone to hire you?
Construct an attention snatching professional summary by answering each of the following questions concisely:
- Who are you, what’s your experience (expressed as years+)?
- What’s your most unique achievement?
- What’s your most impressive/relevant achievement?
- What can you do for this employer?
4-6 lines is plenty. Draw their attention and make them read the rest of your TEFL CV.
TEFL CV Summary—Example
Don’t hide behind empty statements and generalisations. Refer to real achievements, and hit them with your strongest suit.
If you’re applying for your first job ever or writing a career change CV, focus on highlighting your transferable skills and showing your future employer how you can help. See these career objective examples:
TEFL CV Objective—Example
Expert Hint: How to make starting a CV easier? It is by far easiest to do this once you have completed the other sections of your CV for TEFL teacher jobs, especially your job description.
3. Leave an Impact With Your Job Description and Skills
If they’re bored they won’t remember you, leave enough of an impression on them into giving you a job. Therefore, don’t write a shopping list! A shopping list CV is what we call ones that only list responsibilities and duties of the job, without giving any perspective or achievements.
Sure, you’re an ESL teacher, you taught and helped develop non native students' language. How many of them in a class? How many classes a day? How well did you do? Did you get commended for anything? How did you stand out? What was a key moment for a struggling student? Were you able to build upon an existing curriculum. When you tell them what you did at the previous job, they can imagine what you can do for them.
TEFL CV Job Description
For the things that require a mention, but don’t deserve a whole line, there’s an answer. You can list them in a CV skills section, right under your work experience, or if you like, in a sidebar (in those fancy modern CVs!)
TEFL Teacher Skills for CV
- Ability to accept / give constructive feedback
- Classroom management
- Coaching and mentoring
- Creating tests and exams
- Development of curriculum
- Impeccable command of English grammar in use
- Individual and group counselling
- Language arts
- Lesson plans
- Public speaking and presentation
- Record keeping
- State educational standards
- Student learning
- Teamwork skills
- Time management
- Writing lessons plans
- Active listening
- Attention to detail
- Cheerful attitude
- Computer skills
- Conflict resolution
- Customer service
- Data entry
- Good understanding of non-verbal communication and body language
- Managing student behaviour / expectations
- Positive attitude
- Problem solving
- Relationship building
- Sensitivity towards cultural differences
- State educational standards
- Student learning
- Time management
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Include Your Education Section
Unless the job posting calls for specific education, you can leave the education section until last. Your prior work experience and skill set are more of an argument for hiring you than your GCSEs. For your highest education level, just list the certification type, school name, and graduation date.
Here’s an example of how to add your education on a CV:
TEFL CV Sample—Education
5. Include Added Sections to Your TEFL CV
If you still have some free space on your CV, make use of it and add some extra CV sections. Only impart information which is relevant to the position, or one that will show off your adaptability, multitasking and responsibility.
Above all, remember to include your TEFL certification (complete with the year of completion and the name of the awarding institution) in a separate section. Although some employers don't require formal certifications and focus on simply hiring native speakers, completing a TEFL or CELTA course that's at least 100 hours will broaden your options.
Plus, these extra sections can be relevant:
- Other Certifications
- Foreign Languages
- Hobbies, Activities, and Interests
- Professional References
- Skills—if you haven’t included them as part of your other sections
Compare these two TEFL teacher CV examples:
TEFL CV—Extra Sections
One last CV tip.
If the employer asks for one (they probably will), write a TEFL teacher cover letter. Let someone else proofread your application to find any mistakes, and you’re good to go!
Expert Hint: The number of TEFL and similar teaching jobs is estimated to grow by over 10% by 2027. This means lots of opportunities, but also more competition than ever. Make sure to personalise your application to the company and its culture and write a targeted CV to boost your chances of getting hired.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Remember the following pointers:
- Stick to the CV format guidelines—margins, fonts, 1 page, reverse chronological.
- Sprinkle your TEFL teacher job description with achievements and numbers.
- Split up certifications, skills and other bonus sections properly.
- Write a TEFL cover letter.
Did you find our TEFL CV examples helpful? Did we help you get your CV for ESL teacher jobs right? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply.