What to include in a CV? Which CV sections to keep off? This complete guide outlines exactly which things to put on your CV to make it shine.
One page CV? Two page CV?
How long should a CV be?
"If it's too short, the hiring manager might think I'm inexperienced. If it's too long, will they ever read it?"
There’s an easy answer to the CV length dilemma.
It depends on your experience.
This guide will show you:
- Definite answer to the nagging How long should my CV be? question.
- One page CV templates you can use.
- When to use a 2-page CV.
- How to make a CV one page.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
1. How Long Should a CV Be?
Write a one-page CV if you’ve got less than 6 years of experience. Write a 2-page CV if you’ve got 7–10+ years of experience. Longer CVs are fine for lots of achievements—like if you’re an artist or a project manager.
How many pages should a CV be?
A CV should be one page or two. Got too many impressive achievements that match the job opening for a 1-page CV? Then write a two-page CV.
If you can fit everything that makes the manager say “wow” on a single page, write a one page CV.
Should a CV be one page?
A CV should be one page in length. A 'two page CV' is OK if you can't cut it shorter without hurting the message. Professionals with lots of experience in technical professions often need a two page CV.
Think who you’re up against. If you’ve got accomplishments that’ll blow the manager away, don’t cut them. That said, most managers spend six seconds reading CVs. If you can stuff all your goodies in a single page CV, do it. Most CVs shouldn’t be 3 pages.
Can a CV be 2 pages?
Yes, a CV can be two pages long. A two-page CV is a good choice if you have more than 6 years of relevant job experience. In this case, a two-page CV may even be necessary to convey all of the critical information an employer needs to know. Also, two-page CVs are usually accepted for academia and grad school applications.
How long can a CV be?
CVs can be 10 or even 20 pages. Who writes CVs that long? Federal job applicants. They routinely write 5-page CVs and sometimes longer.
Most job applicants can make their case in a single-page CV, 2-page CV, or 3-page CV at most.
One or Two Page CV in 2020?
In 2020, it’s easier to get away with a two-page CV or 3-page CV. That’s because the old short-CV rule has changed.
In ancient times, we used paper and fax machines. Pages 2 and 3 could wind up under the office furniture. With email CVs, that won’t happen.
How Long Should a University CV Be?
A CV for university should be one page. Do you have so many mind-altering achievements you can’t fit them in a 1-page CV? Then write a two-page CV.
Expert Hint: If you’re in a field where lots of experience makes you more attractive, write a 2 or 3-page CV. Just keep it relevant and focus on accomplishments.
2. One Page CV—The Gold Standard
Now you know the answer to how long should a CV be.
But how to make a CV one page?
Don’t have 10 years of experience?
Don’t have 50 unique accomplishments you absolutely have to share?
Then don’t write a two-page CV. Cut it to a one-page CV instead.
- Tailor your CV to the job. To save space, mercilessly cut anything that doesn’t fit this job opening.
- Write fewer, shorter bullet points. Making 3–5 bullet points per job is a space-saver. So is limiting them to 1–2 lines each.
- Stick to what’s impressive. Don’t say everything about your work history. Commit to a set amount of space. Then fill it with your best achievements.
- Be selective with what to include in the CV.
- Don’t send MS Word CV templates. The best one page CV in Word format can turn to a 2-page CV when you email it.
- Use margins, right fonts, and line spacing to shorten your CV. But there’s a limit. Overdoing it will make your CV hard to read.
- How many bullet points per job? CVs should list 3–5 bullet points per job. A CV with more looks cluttered. Less looks weak.
- Leave off references. Everyone knows they’re available on request. Cut them if they make your CV two pages.
- Write a shorter qualifications summary. Stick to 3 lines as a CV space-saver.
To write a 1-page CV, you can also cut the street address, high school, and old or irrelevant jobs. Those can make your CV 2 pages.
Expert Hint: If your 2-page CV is less than 1.5 pages, cut it. Stay tuned for tips to make it a single-page CV without losing horsepower.
3. When to Write a Two Page CV
Can a CV be two pages in 2020?
Two-page CVs are increasingly more common.
- Most employers use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Those don’t ask “how long should a CV be?”
- A longer CV can fit more keywords. That’s a plus when ATS comes calling.
- Compared to one-page CVs, 2-page CVs signal more experience and skill.
But when can CVs be two pages?
When you can’t cut them without hurting your message.
When you’ve got lots of experience or projects.
These jobs beg for 2 or 3-page CVs:
- Marketing Manager
- Project Manager
- Data Analyst
- Computer Science Manager
- Business Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Office Manager
- Sales Manager
Expert Hint: The 2-page CV format is the same as one page CV format. Just put your contact info on both pages.
4. One Page CV Templates
Just need one-page CV templates?
Feast your eyes. These one page CV examples will get you up and running fast.
1. Light One Page CV Template
The Light CV Template by Gilang Tito Dharmawan at Behance is simple, spare, and inviting. It’s a one-page CV template that draws the reader in and promises quick access to pertinent info.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
2. Eye-Catching One Page CV Template
This simple, professional one-page CV template is by ikono. It’s clean, easy-to-read, and uses graphics in an unobtrusive way. The great call to action in this single-page CV template adds extra oomph.
3. Modern One Page CV Template
Need a simple, friendly MS Word one page CV template? Try the Modern CV Template for sale on Etsy. The dark headings and dividers make your 1-page CV easy on the eyes. The dark heading makes it pop.
4. Simple Professional One Page CV Template
This Simple Professional CV Template and CV Template is straightforward and effective. It uses design to stand out in a good way. Like the Modern one-page CV template above, it’s divided for easy readings, with attention-getting headings. The big name and dark heading give it oomph.
5. Spare One Page CV Template
Just want a bare-bones one page CV template that feels like a breath of fresh air? The Emma single-page CV template on Etsy conveys professionalism and efficiency. It’s eye-friendly, but dodges flashy extras to get the job done.
Expert Hint: If you build your 1-page CV in Word, save it as a PDF. They’re machine readable in 2019 and don’t lose their formatting once you send them.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Expert Hint: When should you use a CV, and when is it better to use a curriculum vitae? It depends. CV and CV actually have a different meaning across languages. Read about the difference between a CV and a Resume.
Here’s a recap for how long to make a CV:
- How long should a CV be? Make a 1-page CV for 0–5 years of experience. Create a 2-page CV if you’ve got skyscrapers of achievements.
- Write a one-page CV if you’re entry-level or applying for university. Also write a single-page CV if you’ve got less than six years of experience.
- Write a two-page CV if shortening would cut key accomplishments that fit the job.
- If you’re in a field like marketing or project management, consider multiple page CVs. Showing more projects can prove your worth.
Still wondering how long should my CV be? Need advice for how to shorten a CV to one page? Need to help making a CV? Leave a comment. We’d be happy to reply!