A student CV template that will land you a first job interview. See an example student CV. Follow expert advice on CV format for student CV.
Substitute teachers work on short notice, managing classrooms and picking up where teachers leave off. A CV for substitute teacher jobs must prove skills in classroom management and student engagement.
You’re not the only game in town.
So your CV has to show you’re the perfect answer to the school’s needs.
That just takes a little tweaking.
In this guide:
- A substitute teacher CV sample better than most.
- How to make a fitting substitute teacher job description for CVs.
- How to write a CV for substitute teacher jobs that shows off your key skills.
- Why you can’t just list substitute teacher skills (and what to do instead).
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Want to broaden your education horizons? See our guides:
- Academic CV
- CV for University Application
- Education CV
- Teacher CV Example
- Preschool Teacher CV
- Special Education Teacher CV
- Elementary Teacher CV
- Art Teacher CV
- Librarian CV
- Teaching Assistant CV
- Tutor CV
- ESL Teacher CV
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Examples.
Substitute Teacher CV Sample You Can Copy and Use
Licenced substitute teacher with experience in K-12 and solid classroom management skills. Seeking to support teachers at the Vaughn School. Recognised for student engagement with 97% teacher feedback scores at Westwood High School. Facilitated 10+ bullying lessons to 200+ students, contributing to 25% jump in student morale.
Westwood High School, Gillette, WY
- Worked as both long-term and short-term substitute teacher for K–12 students. Maintained 97% positive teacher feedback.
- Used classroom management skills to resolve conflicts and keep the peace even in 2 classes of at-risk students.
- Facilitated classroom lessons on bullying that contributed to a 25% rise in student morale.
- Accepted short-term substitute teacher shifts on short notice 67 days of the year. Scored 95% in student exit surveys.
- Developed 50+ daily lesson plans. Plans received high marks from teachers for clarity, engagement, and information conveyed.
Day Lilly School, Wright, WY
- Completed 15-week field internship. Recognised by mentors for high-level classroom management skills with 25+ students in class.
- Commended by mentors for student engagement. Succeeded in getting 5 difficult students to participate in class activities.
- Graded 250+ tests and papers with 99% accuracy.
BA English, Wyoming State University
- Worked as peer tutor to 15 students, resulting in 20% test score rise.
- Created senior project to mentor 10 at-risk community children.
- Pursued a passion for education coursework.
- Provisional Wyoming Teaching Licence
- First Aid & CPR, American Red Cross
- NCJRS School Safety Certification
- Mentor, K–12 students, Waterburr Public Schools.
- Assistant Scout Leader, BSA.
- Organiser, annual Coats for Kids drive.
Hard Skills: classroom management, student engagement, grading, school safety
Soft Skills: leadership, patience, communication, organisation
Now here’s how to write a substitute teacher CV:
1. Use the Right Substitute Teacher CV Format
Here’s the thing:
Your CV format can make you look professional—or sloppy.
Go with option A.
To do it—
Follow these CV format steps:
Substitute Teacher CV Format
- Use the reverse-chronological CV format.
- Choose a professional CV font like 10–12pt Calibri or Arial.
- Include white space and 1-inch margins.
- A good CV length for substitute teacher jobs is one page.
- Use these CV sections: Header, Objective, Work Experience, Education, Skills, and “other.”
Expert Hint: PDF CVs look great on all kinds of screens, and ATS software can read them. So — save your substitute teacher CV as a PDF file.
2. Write a Substitute Teacher CV Objective or Summary
The principal will read your substitute teacher CV, but—
If you have years of professional experience, go for a CV summary. If you’re new to the job market, try a CV objective.
Remember to use:
- An adjective (licenced, hard-working)
- The words “substitute teacher”
- Years of experience (1+, 7+)
- How and whom you’ll help (create a smooth experience for students and teachers at Westwood High)
- Your finest substitute teacher achievements (...97% teacher feedback scores...)
These substitute teacher CV examples show the equation:
Substitute Teacher CV Summary—Example
That second example flunks.
The details in the first one show competence.
What if your teaching experience is still learning its ABC’s?
In a substitute teacher CV with no experience, refer to internships or non-teaching jobs.
Substitute Teacher CV Objective—Example
See the difference? The first substitute teacher objective clearly shows what the candidate has to offer.
Expert Hint: Write your substitute teacher assistant CV summary or objective last. That way you’ll have a full list of accomplishments made to order.
3. Write a Smart Substitute Teacher Job Description and Skills Section
Do you fit the job?
If yes, can you prove it?
You’re probably thinking about this the wrong way.
The key is to look at the substitute teacher job description. Or—
If there’s no job ad, talk to the teachers.
Then put on your thinking cap. Find proof in your past that you fit.
These substitute teacher CV examples give the assignment:
The job ad wants these substitute teacher skills: (1) classroom management (2) lesson plans (3) can work on short notice.
Substitute Teacher Job Description for CV [Sample]
The first of those substitute teacher CV examples has the right details with descriptive numbers.
But what if you have no work experience?
Check this job description for entry-level CVs:
The job ad wants these substitute teacher skills: (1) classroom management (2) student engagement (3) grading.
Entry-Level Substitute Teacher CV Job Description [Sample]
That first example uses your internship to prove skills.
You can use retail or restaurant jobs to prove communication or interpersonal skills.
It’s all about picking the right CV keywords. Again, read the job posting for the right CV skills.
Then show a few hard and soft skills in your substitute teacher CV. Check the list below for reference.
Substitute Teacher Skills for a CV
Creating Lesson Plans
Expert Tip: Don’t show too many skills in a CV for substitute teacher jobs. That looks like you’re just tossing in a laundry list. Stick to what the job ad says.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
4. Turn Basic Education to a Reason to Hire You
The education section of your CV can get you hired.
But you need to do it right.
In a substitute teacher CV, it needs to show accomplishment.
Substitute Teacher Education—Example
See those bullets?
They show more than just attendance.
Expert Hint: If you just graduated from school, write a longer education section in your substitute teaching CV. A single class can list two bullet points with skills in each.
5. Add Extra Credit to Your Substitute Teacher CV
Education. Experience. You’re done, right?
Not so fast.
A CV for substitute teacher jobs needs “extra” sections.
Here are 11. Pick one or two:
- Certifications (like a state teaching licence or a NCJRS School Safety Certification)
- Memberships (like NEA)
- Conferences you’ve attended
- Volunteer work
- Foreign languages you speak
These substitute teacher CV examples are textbook:
Substitute Teacher CV—Extra Sections
The second substitute teacher CV example sounds like Cameron Diaz from Bad Teacher.
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter. Your CV for substitute teacher jobs will move to the head of the class. Show your passion and fit for this teacher job.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
For a substitute teacher CV that blows the curve out:
- Use the substitute teacher CV template up top. It shows off all your greatest moments.
- List substitute teacher achievements in your CV objective, job description, education, and “bonus” sections.
- Add the substitute teacher keywords and skills this position wants.
- Include a Substitute teacher cover letter. Show your passion for the school.
Got questions on how to write great CVs for substitute teacher jobs? Not sure how to show substitute teacher on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!