The CV objective is regarded as the most important part of the CV. Get your career objective statement right with the help of our samples and guide.
If employers can’t find job-critical certifications on your CV, you’re sunk.
Your professional certifications list must stand out like a rescue flare.
Even easy certifications like Udemy certificates or bartending certificates can make a CV shine.
How to add certifications on your CV?
Certifications should be added in different sections of the CV depending on whether they are critical or not. Critical certifications should be added front and centre: by your name, in your CV summary, or in your work experience section. Extra certifications can go before your education and after your experience.
There are more rules for how to put certifications on CVs.
In this guide:
- How to list certifications on CVs so they catch employers’ eyes.
- How to put certifications on CVs for both job-critical and “extra” certs.
- A list of easy certifications you can get to put a CV on overdrive.
- An IT certifications list, Google certification courses list, and Microsoft certifications list. Plus job-specific certifications and how to get them.
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy. Choose from 18+ CV templates and download your CV now.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
TL;DR—Where to put certifications on CVs? If they’re job-critical, in four places. After your name, in your summary, in a certifications section near the top, and in your experience section.
If they’re not, in a CV certifications section below your education.
1. How to List Certifications on CVs When They’re Job-Critical [+ Clear Examples]
The hiring manager just tossed your CV atop a blazing bonfire.
She thought, this applicant’s not qualified.
But you are! You just don’t know how to list certifications on CVs.
Put job-critical certifications for jobs in four places:
1. By your name
2. In your CV summary
3. In a special certifications section near the top
4. In your work experience section
These CV certification examples show how:
Steve Madland, (1) PMP
(2) Certified PMP with 5+ years of experience and solid planning skills, seeking to improve delivery times and quality for DHGX International Foods. At Blarz-Gigney, cut project costs 18% in 7 months and slashed wasted labour cost 25%. Trained 120 employees in Lean Principles.
- PMP—Project Management Institute
- Six Sigma Black Belt—ASQ
Aardvark Edibles, Inc.
- Worked with cross-functional teams to cut delivery times by 17%.
- Led team of 43...
That how to add certification in CV sample will get attention like a klieg light.
What are job-critical CV certifications?
They’re certs you absolutely need to get the job.
For examples, see this professional certifications list:
- IT Certifications Online (See list of certifications for IT below)
- PMP Certification—PMI offers several key PM certifications. Also check out the popular Udemy PMP Certification online.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Dental Assistant Certification
- Financial Analyst Certifications
- Nursing Certification
- Teaching Certification
- Caregiver Certification
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Truck Driver CDL Certification
- Security Guard Certification
How to list certification in progress on CV:
Show certifications in progress on a CV by adding “Anticipated completion” and the date.
Need to know how to list certifications on CVs not central to the job? Non-critical, good certifications to have are up next.
Expert Hint: Job-critical certs and licences are necessary. You can’t get the job without them. Easy certifications help more when you’re an entry-level candidate.
2. How to Put Certifications on CVs When They’re “Extra”
Easy certifications can put turbo thrusters on an entry-level CV.
But there are rules.
Listing certifications on CVs when they’re “extra”:
- Put “extra” certs high on a CV if they’re your most impressive achievement.
- List them lower down if they’re an added bonus.
These IT certifications examples show how:
- CompTIA A+
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist
- VMware Certified Design Expert
That how to list certifications on CVs sample is unicorn-level. It’s got the right list of certifications in the right place to make hiring managers fumble for the phone.
When should you leave certifications off a CV?
When they’re unimpressive, out of date, or not relevant to the job. Unless you’re angling for a bottle-washing job, leave that bottle brush certification off your CV.
Put newer and more impressive certs higher in the list.
Expert Hint: Online courses don’t always offer certification. But—you can still list non-cert classes on a CV to show proficiency.
The ResumeLab builder is more than looks. Get specific content to boost your chances of getting the job. Add job descriptions, bullet points, and skills. Easy. Improve your CV in our CV builder now.
Nail it all with a splash of colour, choose a clean font, highlight your skills in just a few clicks. You’re the perfect candidate and we’ll prove it. Use the ResumeLab builder now.
3. Easy Certifications List
Now you know how to list certifications on CVs.
Need a list of good certifications to have?
Who could blame you?
Showing a cert on a CV is the difference between saying you’ve got a skill and proving it.
CV certifications can also land a bigger paycheck.
This list of certifications shows the 12 best certs for popular careers.
Udemy offers PMP, IT, and other certifications online.
Lynda Certificates prove you took a certain Lynda class.
Easy Certifications List:
- First Aid and CPR—American Red Cross, National CPR Foundation
- Bartending Certifications—BartendingOnline, Learn2Serve
- Customer Service—Service Strategies
- Computer Science—AWS, CRISC, CISM, CISA, CISSP, CCNP
- Graphic Design—Adobe ACE, Autodesk
- Marketing—AMA Professional Certified Marketer, Google Analytics
- Web Developer—Adobe ACE, Microsoft MCSD, Google Adwords
- Substitute Teacher—First Aid/CPR, ALICE School Safety Training
- Data Entry—Online Classes and Typing Speed Tests
- Retail—Retail Fundamentals Cert
- Nanny—Child Development Associate, Paediatric First Aid/CPR
- Bookkeeper—AIPB, NACPB, Quickbooks
Expert Hint: Should you show CPR certifications on CVs? If it’s a medical job or dealing with the public, yes. Otherwise, save the space for impressive achievements.
4. Bonus: Google Certifications and Best IT Certifications Online
Do IT and Google certifications matter?
In the IT, tech, and marketing world, yes.
Most IT professionals tout the CompTIA A+ as the best cert for the industry.
Will it make up for thin experience?
But it’ll put you fifty steps ahead of other entry-level candidates.
Find yours in this IT certifications list and Google Certifications list:
- CompTIA A+
- Microsoft Certifications list with all Microsoft certification listings
- Cisco Certifications list CCENT, CCT, CCDA and many more.
- VMWare Certifications list
- Citrix Certifications list
Google Certifications Courses List
- Google Developers Certification
- Data Engineering Certification
- Associate Cloud Engineer
- Professional Cloud Architect
- Professional Data Engineer
- G Suite
- Digital Marketing Certification
- AdWords Certification
- Mobile Advertising assessment
- Display Advertising assessment
- Shopping Advertising assessment
- Video Advertising assessment
- Google Analytics Academy
- Google For Education Training Centre
- Machine Learning Crash Course
Check out more computer skills here.
Microsoft Office Specialist Certification: Is it worth it?
If you’re an entry-level candidate, definitely.
Otherwise, save you money and list on-the-job MS Office accomplishments.
Expert Tips: Certification online can be just as impressive as in-person licencing. Servsafe certifications, PMP certifications, and Fema Certifications are all available online.
Double your impact with a matching CV and cover letter combo. Use our cover letter builder and make your application documents pop out.
Want to try a different look? There’s 18 more. A single click will give your document a total makeover. Pick a cover letter template here.
Here’s a recap of how to list certifications on CVs:
- Put job-critical CV certifications in four places: 1. By your name. 2. In your summary. 3. In your work history. 4. In a special certifications section.
- Show easy-to-get certifications in a certifications section lower down.
- For a list of easy certifications to get, like Udemy certificates or Lynda certificates, scroll up.
- For an IT certifications list, a Google certifications list, or a Microsoft certifications list, see the sections above.
Need more career advice? Check out these blog posts:
Got a question about how to put certifications on CVs? Wondering what certifications should I get? Need to know how to include certifications in CVs for a specific career? Leave a comment. We’d be happy to reply!