A student CV template that will land you a first job interview. See an example student CV. Follow expert advice on CV format for student CV.
Here comes an on-fleek hair stylist CV sample.
But hold that thought—
Getting a great hairstylist job can be a rat’s nest.
The problem? There are lots of talented stylists out there all fighting for a few positions.
To win the interview, you need to turn heads like a twisted fishtail.
Don’t worry. With the right achievements in the proper order, you’ll come off like a Ted Gibson updo.
In this guide:
- A hair stylist CV sample better than most.
- How to write a hairstylist CV you can feel great about.
- How to make a hair stylist job description for CVs that fits.
- Why you can’t just list hair stylist skills (and what to do instead).
What does a perfect CV for a hair stylist look like? See below—
Save hours of work and get a CV like this. Pick a template, fill it in. Quick and easy.
Choose from 18 CV templates and download your CV in minutes.
What users say about ResumeLab:
I had an interview yesterday and the first thing they said on the phone was: “Wow! I love your CV.”
I love the variety of templates. Good job guys, keep up the good work!
My previous CV was really weak and I used to spend hours adjusting it in Word. Now, I can introduce any changes within minutes. Absolutely wonderful!
Are you just coming into hair styling from another career? See this guide: Career Change CV Sample & Guide
Considering other positions? See our dedicated CV guides:
- Makeup Artist CV Writing Guide
- Esthetician CV Writing Guide
- Brand Ambassador CV Writing Guide
- Sales Representative CV Writing Guide
Haven't found what you're looking for? Check all our CV Examples for Any Job.
Hair Stylist CV Sample You Can Copy and Adapt
Enthusiastic hair stylist with 3+ years of experience cutting, styling, and performing hair services. Seeking to delight clients at Bang Fringe Inc. At Look You Look, presided over 25% boost in repeat business from expert customer service and 30% revenue jump.
The Look You Look, Springfield, IL
- Performed 5+ different hair services for 140+ regulars and multiple walk-ins, including cutting, styling, extensions, colouring, and straightening.
- Maintained 97% positive customer comment score and 96% online review score average for 110 reviews.
- Controlled supply management for all signature line products. Worked with vendors on deals that cut inventory costs by 18%.
- Upsold and cross-sold products from multiple brands, including hair care, skin care, and makeup. Beat store average by 15%.
- Took calls and scheduled appointments for 80+ clients each week.
- Presided over a 25% increase in repeat business, thanks to exemplary customer service, satisfied customers, and word of mouth.
- Played key role in raising online review score for store by 20%, facilitating a 30% increase in annual revenue.
Freelance Hair Stylist
- Cut and styled hair for 5 regular clients.
- Performed straightenings and colorings 2x per month.
- Applied 5 hair extensions per week during prom season.
- Provided technical hair services to 2 working models.
Plains Perfect Beauty School, Springfield, IL
- Excelled in hair styling coursework.
- Scored 100% in upselling.
2020 - Illinois Cosmetology Licence
2019 - Hair Colorist Certification
- Member, Professional Beauty Association.
- Mentor 15+ hair stylists through one-on-one sessions.
- Licenced Paul Mitchell products vendor.
Hard Skills: cutting & styling, hair extensions, permanents, straightening, colouring
Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, listening, communication, time management, collaboration
Here’s how to write a confident hair stylist CV:
1. Select the Best Hair Stylist CV Format
CV format can make or break your job-search look.
You of all people know appearances count.
You’d never send a client out with bedhead. So, make the effort to create a great-looking hair stylist CV.
Follow these tips:
Hair Stylist CV Format
- Add one-inch margins and a little white space.
- Use one CV font like 11–14pt Trebuchet or Cambria.
- Make CV sections for Heading, Summary, Work History, Education, and Skills.
- Put past work in reverse-chronological CV form.
- Set a one-page CV length.
- Save a PDF CV for easy viewing, even on mobile.
Expert Hint: A study by IBIS World shows there are one million hair salons in the US, but only 1.3 million employees. That’s an awful lot of one-person shops and a few big ones. Before you send in that CV for hair stylist jobs, consider hanging out a shingle and starting your own business.
2. Write a Hair Stylist CV Objective or Summary
The salon manager just tossed your CV for hair stylist jobs in the bin.
It seems you looked too “bowl-cut” for her needs.
What do you have to do to get attention?
- An adjective (compassionate, enthusiastic)
- “Hair stylist”
- Years of experience (2+, 3+)
- Who/how you’ll help (delight clients at Bang Fringe)
- Best hairstylist CV achievements(25% boost in repeat business...)
Write it after the rest to smooth the way.
See these hair stylist CV examples:
Hair Stylist CV Summary—Example
The second of those hair stylist CV samples promises repeat business. But—
The first shows you’ve delivered it.
“But my hair stylist experience is still growing in!”
If you’re new, see this entry-level CV for hair stylist jobs:
Entry-Level Hair Stylist CV Objective
The second of those entry-level hair stylist CV examples sounds good.
But the first shows real use of skills.
3. Fit Your Hair Stylist Job Description and Skills Section to the Job
What hair stylist skills do you need in a CV?
See this list:
Hair Stylist CV Skills
Cutting & Styling
Perming & Straightening
Up-Selling & Cross-Selling
Attention to Detail
First Aid & CPR
But consider this:
Don’t pile them all up in a CV for hair stylist jobs. You’ll look like a mullet afro with braids.
To get hired, target your CV.
Then write a tailored job description and add them like the first of these hair stylist CV samples:
Say the job ad wants skills in supply management, up-selling, scheduling, and customer service.
Hair Stylist Job Description for a CV [Sample]
Compare those two.
The second of those hairstylist CV examples is fine. But do you want “fine” or “exemplary?”
It’s missing numbers and those oh-so-important hair stylist skills from the ad.
What if your hair stylist experience is in the peach fuzz phase?
Entry-level CVs need freelance work and skills from unrelated jobs.
See these hair stylist CV examples with no experience:
Say the job wants cutting & styling, colouring, listening, and time management.
Entry-Level Hairstylist CV Job Description [Sample]
Before, meet after.
Do something like the first of those hair stylist CV samples for extra volume.
Expert Hint: According to Toni & Guy Academy, the average beauty school tuition in the US is £13,715. The average salary is £22,141. Is a cosmetology certificate worth the money? It is if you make more than average (with tips) and pay less than average for school. (Some schools cost just over £2,000.)
4. Beautify Your Education Section
How much education does a hair stylist CV need?
It’s not so much your years of schooling.
It’s the skills you show off in the education section of your CV.
To land the interview, do it like this hair stylist CV sample:
Hair Stylist CV Example—Education
If the salon wants upselling and proof you can style hair, you’re on the shortlist!
5. Add “Bonus” Sections to Your Hair Stylist CV
Before the big reveal—
Let’s add highlights to your hairstylist CV.
The salon manager wants to know she’s not making a mistake.
Show her you’re the perfect hire by adding passion to your CV.
You can add:
- Certifications (Cosmetology, colouring, etc.)
- Volunteer work
- Instagram portfolio
- Professional associations
- Foreign languages
- Additional activities
See these hair stylist CV examples:
Hair Stylist CV—Other Sections
The second of those hairstylist CV samples has a touch of alopecia.
Even if you do add “running” to your CV for hair stylist jobs, spice it up. Try saying “Run 4x a week for self-care.” Or better still, “Lead a weekly running club with 5 members.”
But that first example positively glows. The Instagram portfolio link will let them see your true colours!
Expert Hint: Write a cover letter for your CV for hair stylist jobs. Just like when you’re cutting hair, put the spotlight on the customer (or employer), not yourself!
Here’s how to write a hair stylist CV:
- Start with a good hairstylist CV template. Include hair stylist achievements from your life.
- Add hair stylist skills like colouring or permanents. But—use bullet points to show what you’ve done with them.
- Write a hair stylist CV objective that shows off your best moments.
- Add “bonus” CV sections like pro associations or volunteer work to show passion.
Got questions on how to write good CVs for hair stylist jobs? Not sure how to put hair stylist on a CV? Leave a comment. We’ll be happy to reply!